Author Topic: Need Help with ID of citrus rootstock  (Read 2038 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Need Help with ID of citrus rootstock
« on: March 07, 2024, 06:26:15 PM »
If anyone recognizes this rootstock, please let me know what it is.
Also, how is the fruit size and appearance?

If you have this rootstock with fruits, please post a photo of the fruit.

Thanks in advance.

photo url

pic host

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with ID of citrus rootstock
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 10:09:50 PM »
Pretty sure that is a poncerius trifoliata of some type. Possibly Rubidoux? Its definitely not Flying Dragon, the thorns aren't curved enough. Link to accession page for Rubidoux at UCR below:

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc0838

Flying Dragon for Comparison:

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc3330B

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 10:49:07 PM »
thanks Sam. Yeah I figured it was, but wondering exactly what variety of PT it was. This was the rootstock of a mandarin/orange tree. It is growing so vigorously so I wanted to know what it is.

I have the regualr poncerius trifoliata as the rootstock for orange, but it doesn't grow anywhere near this size and the thorns are not this big. I also have my 30+yr old Flying Dragon so I can recognize that one as well.

Lauta_hibrid

• Argentina, Buenos Aires, La Plata 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 12:33:01 PM »
There are not many tools to know the variety if the producer does not tell you.  Flydragon grows twisted, and then they are separated into 2 types, large flower (depends on the variety used in your place) and small flower (generally this is Rubidoux).  If you let the flower grow you would have noticed this trait perhaps

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 02:27:59 PM »
Ok, it looks to be the larger flower. I will wait until the leaves grow out and check the flowers. By then, I should be able to determine what it is. I have a large Flying Dragon tree so I know how to identify it.

Does anyone know if the cuttings are easy to root?

This tree is large so I can take plenty of cuttings to root if it's easy to just plant it in a pot outdoors.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 05:24:55 PM »
Yes, trifoliata will root but it more difficult than many other citrus types. The failure rate is much higher.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 05:26:26 PM by Millet »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 07:33:20 PM »
Does anyone know if trifoliata will air layer? I have air layered limes in the past with a high degree of success. I would assume that air layering would also work for trifoliata. But, I have never had the chance to try it. I have only come accross it here in Florida on a few occasions.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 12:00:42 AM »
I would think air layering should work. That's a good idea, I was just over there doing some air layer on a guava tree, next time I will put a few air layer on this large rootstock since I will be doing some grafting on this tree.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 02:20:03 PM »
Does anyone know if trifoliata will air layer? I have air layered limes in the past with a high degree of success. I would assume that air layering would also work for trifoliata. But, I have never had the chance to try it. I have only come accross it here in Florida on a few occasions.

I have rooted cuttings of Poncirus trifoliata.  I do not airlayer anything.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 05:00:09 PM »
I root poncirus outside in the shade/ late dappled light. Coco-coir and in an upside down fish tank as the humidity dome. Very high success rate, I've done this in the summer though so heat might be a factor. 

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 06:00:33 PM »
I have read that the success rate of rooting trifoliata cuttings depends on the age of the plant from which the cutting is taken. Cuttings from young seedlings were said to root easily but mature, flowering age ones were nearly impossible.
This agrees with my experience, though admittedly in the cool summers we have in England. I have tried cuttings from flowering trifoliata plants but they just stayed green for over a year and never produced any roots.
Can anyone confirm they have actually rooted mature cuttings? I would love to produce instant flowering plants in this way!

Lauta_hibrid

• Argentina, Buenos Aires, La Plata 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 09:35:13 PM »
In my experience, Poncirus roots better after spring passes.  maybe summer.  since it spends its first energy in forming leaves and flowers and then activates cell division.  other citrus trees that are not deciduous and do not have dormancy can be done in spring.  If the tree is there you can try on different dates and see the best results.  Robidoux has a small flower, Concordia (here in Argentina) has a large flower.
 :blank:
Ok, it looks to be the larger flower. I will wait until the leaves grow out and check the flowers. By then, I should be able to determine what it is. I have a large Flying Dragon tree so I know how to identify it.

Does anyone know if the cuttings are easy to root?

This tree is large so I can take plenty of cuttings to root if it's easy to just plant it in a pot outdoors.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 10:34:15 PM »
ok, thanks for this info, I will wait until May and try rooting and air layering it.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 11:11:19 AM »
I just took these new photos this week, 3/28.

Citrus experts, please look at these photos and let me know if what I have here. Also will these root from cuttings easily?

Thanks.

host pictures

russian image hosting

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 11:13:16 AM by sc4001992 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk