Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283587 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #775 on: June 05, 2020, 04:11:01 AM »
OK. You guys are right. I apologize.

All good man, you are very lucky to have the land from what it sounds like to plant multiple trees hope you can contribute to this thread in time when your mangos come due and further the understanding of mangos via media pictures/video and flavor descriptions it works out doubly in your favor to further improve your business by seeking continuous quality improvement/feedback and catering to the customer 👍

-joe

I completely agree. This forum has been so helpful and we can build a better database with more members contributing their experiences.

On a side note, I absolutely love Lemon Zest Mangos but I only get a mango or two every year or every other year so I’m looking for a replacement. I already have PPK and Orange Sherbet, I also have a couple grafted Orange Essence  trees but I’m thinking of not planting the Orange Essence and planting some Seacrest/Tripple Sec that I just grafted instead.

Anyone that’s tasted both Orange Essence and Seacrest have an opinion which is better tasting? I know tastes are subjective but I love sweet and I love the flavor of Lemon Zest.

Simon

I have tasted both Orange Essence and Seacrest and have them grafted on to my trees. Very little to choose between them in terms of flavor, both are really sweet and have more than a hint of Gary flavor in them. Orange Essence is more productive, at least in my yard.

Thanks! I think I’ll just plant or graft both varieties.

Simon

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 05, 2020, 04:18:44 PM »
I ran across this page on YouTube. His videos are super funny and informative... I get a good laugh out of them. Thought I should share share. On this video he liked Kathy.

https://youtu.be/HwAOzI0EaJ8

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 05, 2020, 05:27:53 PM »
I ran across this page on YouTube. His videos are super funny and informative... I get a good laugh out of them. Thought I should share share. On this video he liked Kathy.

Thanks for sharing the video, that family has a lot of personality and I enjoyed watching their various mango videos.

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 06, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing the video, that family has a lot of personality and I enjoyed watching their various mango videos.

Simon
Can we be honest?  Flavor descriptions aren't the best.  Lack of fiber seems to be his biggest concern.  But if you like to watch a family lick their fingers, and someone licking a knife, these are the videos for you.  Mango review videos seem to have become a cottage industry.  (Orlando Gardener--now there's a guy with personality.  And better information as well.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:33:47 PM by johnb51 »
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 06, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »
I actually like watching his videos, he is entertaining and his kids are cute. He does seem most concerned about fiber but that’s his prerogative.

In his Sweet Tart video, he mentioned that he tasted melon which I’ve never tasted before but whom am I to tell him that his taste buds are off. 

Orlando Gardener has great videos too. There’s a lot more people making videos now and I enjoy watching other people’s reaction to each mango variety.

Simon

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: June 06, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »
I actually like watching his videos, he is entertaining and his kids are cute. He does seem most concerned about fiber but that’s his prerogative.

In his Sweet Tart video, he mentioned that he tasted melon which I’ve never tasted before but whom am I to tell him that his taste buds are off. 

Orlando Gardener has great videos too. There’s a lot more people making videos now and I enjoy watching other people’s reaction to each mango variety.

Simon
+1
El verde es vida!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 07, 2020, 09:48:34 AM »

Simon
At least Satya, the Osho guy, gives his disclaimer so you know what he's tasting may not be truly indicative of the variety.  The problem is when someone is eating a poor specimen, and they make a blanket statement concerning the variety, like Sweet Tart tastes like melon.  Maybe he didn't say exactly that, but do you see how it might be easy to get seriously misinformed?  I guess that's why Weiss got so pissed off.

I read your comments that follow, Simon.  Fair enough.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:14:33 PM by johnb51 »
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 07, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
His videos are just posted as taste tests, he did not claim his videos to be an all encompassing, everything you need to know and more about so and so Mango. We should not immediately jump to conclusions based off one persons video. I feel we are all smart enough to know that fruit can be picked under ripe, perfectly or over ripe. There are also good and bad years such as if you compare fruit quality in years with heavy rains vs little rain.

I feel that these people going out of their way to make these videos should not have to put up a disclaimer stating all the things that could have gone wrong, we got 3 inches of rain, it was cloudy for 50 days, I didn’t fertilize with potassium, I had scale, it was refrigerated, etc... but that’s just my point of view.

This guy said he recently got interested in Mangos after he tasted a Coconut Cream and it got him hooked on Mangos. I do not expect him to immediately become a mango sommelier or to even consider putting a disclaimer. He just looks super excited about Mangos and I can see he is loving those mangos, more power to him!

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 07, 2020, 07:24:39 PM »
To get things back on track for this thread, I just had one of the best Mangos in a very long time and it’s not a Zill Variety. The mango was a COC/CAC mango and it was absolutely incredible! It was super sweet, fiberless and had just the right amount of acid balance. I’ve had COC\CAC Mangos before but this one was the best specimen for this variety I’ve ever had. I didn’t take any pictures or get a Brix reading because I’ve had this variety many times before but I wish I did.

My daughters took one bite and Immediately wanted more. I already have a COC tree but I’m considering top working more of my trees with this variety. It’s so good, I think I’m going to top work one of Leo Manuel’s huge mango trees with this variety. The sugar acid balance couldn’t have been more on point.

For the SoCal mango growers, this variety is Polyembryonic so planting the seed would be a smart move. This variety has also been fairly disease resistant for me although this year, the fruit set is minimal due to the persistent rains we had this year.

Simon

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 07, 2020, 08:17:16 PM »
I'm glad my buddy is growing Cac!  I'm looking forward to tasting it in a year or two.
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 07, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »
It’s amazing! I can’t believe it isn’t brought up more on this forum. After tasting COC/CAC the other night, I’m considering top working my LZ tree instead of having to spray my trees with fungicides.

Simon

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 07, 2020, 08:36:41 PM »
I liked the innocent review video of this family. And i like the fact that they are beginning to love this new fruit in their life. How they make the video and what they make of the taste of the mango and how they describe the flavor is their choice. I feel like even if i taste a certain variety from 50 different sources with 50 different microclimates, my rating of the mango and my flavor description of will tell more about me, my past experiences with mangos, my taste buds/preference than about the mango itself. It is all subjective so we do not need to argue about it.

@zands - yes sir, this is a good idea, we will do a one day event soon.

I have been away from FL for work and thinking about mangoes all last week, will return and will be tasting more this coming week. Few weeks ago got chance to taste Dwarf Hawaiian from mangokothiyan and they were surprisingly sweet, spicy and rich in flavor. Have 3 DFs in different stages of ripening ready for when i get home, stay tuned guys.
Satya

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 07, 2020, 09:02:33 PM »
It’s amazing! I can’t believe it isn’t brought up more on this forum. After tasting COC/CAC the other night, I’m considering top working my LZ tree instead of having to spray my trees with fungicides.

Simon

Whoa!  That good??
John

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 07, 2020, 09:16:38 PM »

Simon

Whoa!  That good??

Have heard this opinion from several people, some claim this is their top mango.  I’ll have to get my hands on some soon!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 08, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »
I just got one Red Ivory mango! Lets see if it can stand our climate. I will plant her on a very sheltered spot...    ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yZLgvbCHzk&t=236s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJudZ5YYa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex34hI51Nws

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 08, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »
For the SoCal mango growers, this variety is Polyembryonic so planting the seed would be a smart move. This variety has also been fairly disease resistant for me although this year, the fruit set is minimal due to the persistent rains we had this year.

Simon

Awesome! Do you know where I can get a Cac seed or tree in SoCal?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 08, 2020, 01:25:47 PM »
There are not too many people growing this variety in SoCal yet but I’m sure there will be many more people adding this to their list. Brad and I are planting all the seeds we have at his orchard so we don’t have any to spare.

Probably the option is to plant some rootstocks and order scions from Tropical Acres.

The CAC/COC was absolutely incredible. It was just so sweet, fiberless and had the perfect acid balance. Not only that but it is the perfect eating size, roughly a pound.

I did not eat this mango side by side with a Lemon Zest but I’m sure they would have been neck and neck along with Sweet Tart in the top three. I may have CAC, Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest ripen around the same time later this year so hopefully I can do a mini taste test with these top three varieties around September or October.

I did not take a Brix reading but I have tested enough Mangos that I would guess it had a Brix of 23-28% with my guess of 25%. It wasn’t just the sweetness of this mango that has me so excited, it’s the overall balance of flavor. It was absolutely perfect. I can’t find anything bad to say about this mango.

When I did research speaking with Florida members about this mango, some members mentioned that this variety was not precocious. They had to wait several years for this variety to mature and settle in before it produced. This may be bad in Florida but it’s great for us in SoCal.

With my in ground tree, it did not flower the first 1-2 years in winter, which is odd because just about every variety of grafted mango(mature scions) flowers the first winter and every winter thereafter.

Reply #1 on this thread has a picture of a COC/CAC fruit in case anyone is wondering how it looks.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32984.msg361029#msg361029

CAC/COC is disease resistant in my yard the last several years. Just because it is disease resistant in my yard does not mean it will be disease resistant in your yard. My yard gets covered in dew every morning so there is extremely high fungal disease pressures and this variety still sets fruit. This has been the worst year I can remember and my small tree was covered in Powdery Mildew which even caused PM damage to newly forming leaves and it is still setting some fruit although much less than in previous years.

Simon

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #792 on: June 08, 2020, 09:46:20 PM »
Just a few note to add about CAC especially for the south Florida growers.
First off special thanks to zands for introducing me to this variety. Harvested Budwood from his producing tree and top worked my 2 year old keitt around 4 years ago

Excellent flavor
Large window of great flavor - I personally like it just before it gets fully yellow (heres a tip use a vegetable peeler, just under the skin is intensely sweet and has that sweet cola indochinese flavor)
Forgiving of when to pick
Long shelf life after picked
Pretty disease resistant (even when something gets to it the rot doesn't really spread that quick)
Vigorous spreading grower.
Fruits consistently (at least on the top worked trees I've seen here)
Handles hard pruning in August really well.

For me it might not top the likes of lemon zest but its nearly bulletproof to grow and still has top notch flavor.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 08, 2020, 10:08:44 PM »
First off special thanks to zands for introducing me to this variety. Harvested Budwood from his producing tree and top worked my 2 year old keitt around 4 years ago

Excellent flavor
Large window of great flavor - I personally like it just before it gets fully yellow (heres a tip use a vegetable peeler, just under the skin is intensely sweet and has that sweet cola indochinese flavor)
Pretty disease resistant (even when something gets to it the rot doesn't really spread that quick)

For me it might not top the likes of lemon zest but its nearly bulletproof to grow and still has top notch flavor.

Thanks for sharing this information. I’ve already got it on the list of scions I’m searching for, “bulletproof” cements it for me!
P.S. Off topic, but also looking for Honey Kiss scions, amongst a few others, if anyone has to offer.  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:11:01 PM by canesgirl821 »

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18:23 PM »
I wanted to get in on the fun, so I’ve decided to review today’s marvelous Carrie, from my favorite tree.  If you’re a member of the Carrie Haters Club, feel free to skip past my post.  ;)

I won’t pretend to be able to distinguish/identify piney, resin, sub-acid, etc., etc. flavors, but I know what I like. And this is one fantastic mango!
It was a bit larger than most; I did not weigh or measure it, my mango eating is not quite that sophisticated (yet). Here it is next to 2 NDM, which have also been large this year, as well as on its own.

It had a lovely mango aroma, and slight give when pressed.  Think I ate it at the perfect time. When I cut it open, the juice sprang forth like nectar from the gods.

There was a significant amount of flesh around the seed, which I devoured down to the paper thin skin.  There were varying flavors throughout, each mouthful was like a decadent indulgence.

All that remains.

This one is going in the ground.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:49:03 PM by canesgirl821 »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 10, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »
Thanks. You mentioned some qualities that are very important to me. I think I need to give Cac another taste.  8)

Excellent flavor

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 10, 2020, 09:25:04 AM »
I had a few Cac mangoes last year. They were good, but not fantastic. Definitely worth another look.

Have noticed that with several mango varieties; taste and quality can be all over the place. Can't go with just one sampling, or 2, or 3. Or even 1 season.

The lone Coco Cream (1st fruit off the tree) I had last year was amazing. 6 this year harvested, they were really good but not near last year's quality.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #797 on: June 10, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »
If you guys are in the area in the next few weeks lmk. I can give you some to sample.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 10, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
If you guys are in the area in the next few weeks lmk. I can give you some to sample.

I will be in the area, would love to mooch my way into take you up on that offer.  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:18:29 PM by canesgirl821 »

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 10, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
I'm not a prolific mango taster, I've only tasted probably 20 different cultivars in my life, but I wanted to share some thoughts on a brand new mango I tried that I'd never heard of before.

Deimos, from Richard Campbell's Mangomen Homestead.

I received it in a shipped box a few weeks back, and had no idea what to expect, but I was overpowered by a delicious, sweet, citrusy... extremely BRIGHT flavor -- I don't know how else to describe it.  It was neck-and-neck with Sweet Tart for the best mango in the box.

According to Mangomen, it's a Myatrynat seedling that they're evaluating, and very excited about.  If you get a chance, I'd highly recommend you try it out, if only so I can get your (likely more-experienced) opinions on the matter.

--Jake
--Jake