Author Topic: Black Thorn durian. Currently the most hyped durian in Malaysia.  (Read 26894 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: Black Thorn durian. Currently the most hyped durian in Malaysia.
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2014, 01:46:29 AM »
In Davao now there are Ganyaos available,, I haven't tried one yet because it seems like people here aren't that crazy about it. The puyat is good., as is Arancillo. The native I thought was just ok, I'm not overly impressed with what I've had here so far ,, except for the Marang :)

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:16 AM »
In Davao now there are Ganyaos available,, I haven't tried one yet because it seems like people here aren't that crazy about it. The puyat is good., as is Arancillo. The native I thought was just ok, I'm not overly impressed with what I've had here so far ,, except for the Marang :)

Just try them, in Singapore they don't care for mongthong but in Thailand they love it.

Maybe you can get your hands on wild durian there, guess you didn't see them on hawaii before.

http://migrationology.com/2012/09/durian-obsessed-6-philippines-vacations-to-satisfy-yourself-with-the-king-of-fruits/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:12:04 AM by bangkok »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 04:04:47 AM »
Lindsay i have a new goal for your duriantrips. I was on the or-tor-kor market and saw durians for sale, i asked them how much they cost and it was 700 baht for a kilo, normal price for mongthong is about 60-70 a kilo so i asked which one it was and they said lap lae from Utteradit.

I thought they were trying to cheat me again but my wife told later me that the lap lae durian from Utteradit is something like the mongthong from Nonthaburi. That's why they were expensive.

So if you ever come back to Thailand you have to taste that one as well and tell us if it was worth the money.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
Well, 700 baht/kilo makes me feel lucky for my 10€/kilo durian i can find here.
And makes me reconsider the idea of a trip to Thailand to feast on all the durian i can eat.
On the other hand my durian are usually unriped and starting to rot, so maybe a travel to taste the real deal may still be a reasonable option.  ;)
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2014, 12:05:50 AM »
Well, 700 baht/kilo makes me feel lucky for my 10€/kilo durian i can find here.
And makes me reconsider the idea of a trip to Thailand to feast on all the durian i can eat.
On the other hand my durian are usually unriped and starting to rot, so maybe a travel to taste the real deal may still be a reasonable option.  ;)

Well normal price is 60 a kg now and they are sold everywhere along the roads/markets. I guess if you go the chantaburi province they will even be cheaper, the euro is low now though.

I only see mongthong in my area, i want to taste the other ones as well. If you go to the touristic places you might end up between loads of Russians. The weather now is perfect, i like the rainy season more then dry period.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »
x
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:56:36 AM by bangkok »

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
Well normal price is 60 a kg now and they are sold everywhere along the roads/markets. I guess if you go the chantaburi province they will even be cheaper, the euro is low now though.

I only see mongthong in my area, i want to taste the other ones as well. If you go to the touristic places you might end up between loads of Russians. The weather now is perfect, i like the rainy season more then dry period.

I'm sure that if I ever happen to travel to thailand to have a durian-centric holiday I should plan everything in advance, many things you are telling to me are pretty surprising! Never expected the raining season to be better of the dry season, neither i did expect for the durian to be available just as mongthongs. I did expect that a couple/3 varieties were available everywhere! Gosh, I have so much to learn!

By the way, i have really hard time understandin what's happening on that beach! :)
Italian fruit forum

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:19 PM »

x
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:55:08 AM by bangkok »

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 07:32:16 PM »
Wow! That's a lot of information! Thank you very much. Ideally, the best moment to visit Thailand for me would be during summer.

Regarding the scam of tourist, we have our fair share of problem, trust me. Living here, I have never experienced them first hand because of course I'm not the target, and usually i know how to deal with strangers approaching to me in streets, but for foreigners it can be pretty confusing. What helps here is the fact that police usually isn't corrupt and policemen who have an agreement with criminals are almost unheard of (of course we also have corrupt policemen but they aren't corrupted by scammers). The golden rule of the tourist should be never pay attention to someone who you haven't talked first, and be wary in every other case. Especially don't accept help, neither help anyone.  Worst places here are train stations and airports, and thing get worse around big cities, in other places you are pretty safe.
Mafia here actually is practically invisible. They do their work mainly corrupting the politicians, asking money from the retailers, selling drugs, buying companies. There's nothing a tourist has to worry about, at least in Italy. But smaller scam can be annoying!
Italian fruit forum

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 09:01:49 PM »
x

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:55:57 AM by bangkok »

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Lindsay i have a new goal for your duriantrips. I was on the or-tor-kor market and saw durians for sale, i asked them how much they cost and it was 700 baht for a kilo, normal price for mongthong is about 60-70 a kilo so i asked which one it was and they said lap lae from Utteradit.

I thought they were trying to cheat me again but my wife told later me that the lap lae durian from Utteradit is something like the mongthong from Nonthaburi. That's why they were expensive.

So if you ever come back to Thailand you have to taste that one as well and tell us if it was worth the money.

Hi Bangkok,
sorry to reply so late. I have tasted the Longlaplae and the Linlaplae and you can see them here: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2014/07/first-group-durian-trip-uttaradit.html

I actually took a group of friends there, it was mega-fun :D I think we're going to do it again this year.

In Uttaradit the Longlaplae costs 200 bt/kilo and the Linglaplae was 400, but I have seen the Linlaplae sell for 800 earlier in the season.

I personally would never buy the Linlaplae as it fits its description - "milky" - and that's about it. Plus you buy mostly shell and very little flesh, so until I make more money or develop a taste for mild durians, this ones not worth it to m.

The Longlaplae is also mild, but a little bit bitter as well. When fully ripe (and the magic of Uttaradit is that if you go there they do let them ripen on the tree) they are pretty awesome. Of the durians, my friends liked it best. Bang for buck, I'd stick with Chanee. Here's a pic:

www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2014, 12:19:08 AM »

Hi Bangkok,
sorry to reply so late. I have tasted the Longlaplae and the Linlaplae and you can see them here: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2014/07/first-group-durian-trip-uttaradit.html

I actually took a group of friends there, it was mega-fun :D I think we're going to do it again this year.

In Uttaradit the Longlaplae costs 200 bt/kilo and the Linglaplae was 400, but I have seen the Linlaplae sell for 800 earlier in the season.

I personally would never buy the Linlaplae as it fits its description - "milky" - and that's about it. Plus you buy mostly shell and very little flesh, so until I make more money or develop a taste for mild durians, this ones not worth it to m.

The Longlaplae is also mild, but a little bit bitter as well. When fully ripe (and the magic of Uttaradit is that if you go there they do let them ripen on the tree) they are pretty awesome. Of the durians, my friends liked it best. Bang for buck, I'd stick with Chanee. Here's a pic:

That's a great report Lindsay, i bet you guys had a good time there. I didn't even know there were 2 laplae durians, they asked me 1600 a kg and last week 1000 a kg but i forgot which one they mentioned. For that money i would rather go to utteradit myself and buy them from the tree. But now this one is also on my to-do list. I even don't know if those prices for peeled or unpeeled durians.

I have my own durian mongthong nonthaburi tree, here it is and doing well. In the pond you see my white jaboticaba which i just put there and the whole pond-thing is currently under construction but you will get the idea with the orchid-arc above the pond.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »
Seems Durian Lover was right, at time of posting this black thorn didn't even have a D number, it is now most popular is it not?