Author Topic: Brian's Pennsylvania Greenhouse and Tropical Fruit Trees  (Read 827 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Brian's Pennsylvania Greenhouse and Tropical Fruit Trees
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2024, 08:08:58 PM »
TropicalFruitHunters, thanks for the kind words.  The ceilings fans have been great, they are really high quality and run almost nonstop for years.  I just wish I had gotten ones with cages instead of having to rig my own to keep the quail from flying into them.  They are advertised for agricultural (barn) use and I have had zero rust on them.  They have no opportunity to accumulate water as they only turn off when the exhaust fans turn on.  My entire greenhouse is usually wet anyway because of condensation or messy watering.  With nothing organic to rot there isn't any issue with moisture other than algae growth.  I saw your sill plate rot issue on your blog and I am thankful that I managed to avoid wood entirely.  My gas pipe might rust out one day but it is above ground so it should take a long time. 

I clean the walls two or three times a year but it really isn't so bad.  Takes about 2hrs to wash with a sponge and soap and water.  I have dreams of a frameless greenhouse design which would be much faster to clean. 

Scale is a real pain.  I probably spend more time spraying scale than all other greenhouse & tree maintenance combined.  The spider mites are relentless on certain trees such as annonas but I am finally keeping the mealybugs in check with frequent soap or hort oil spraying.  It is a huge relief when I bring my trees out in the spring watching all the predatory insects hunting mealybugs and the rain suppressing spider mites. 

My rollinia set some fruits but the entire limb they were attached to died from an unchecked scale infestation.  I expect it will set more fruit soon, though.  Like you describe, I am basically just waiting to try the fruit before I chop it down.  It doesn't seem like a good fit long term. 

The growth on my Lucs and Mangosteen has finally started accelerate.  For years they would put on a couple leaves a year with node spacing of only millimeters.  I don't really have high expectations for most of the other garcinias but I figure I'll grow them as long as I can find room for them.  I cram them all together really tightly as they are shade tolerant so I can fit a dozen in the space one tree typically needs. 

The marang growing well was a huge surprise to me.  They are tip bearers, I hear, though so I am not sure if it will actually be possible to reach fruiting size without taking up the whole greenhouse.  It is already putting out a lot of new growth so I expect it may hit the ceiling within a year or two.  I saw your graft, looks awesome... but I don't think I will be finding any mature marang scion to graft with in Pennsylvania :)

drymifolia, I am glad I happened to prune and clean up my greenhouse just a few days before eyeckr came.  I didn't know he would be making a video until he arrived and it was way uglier in there only a week prior. 

BloomAndSprout, I am incredibly fortunate to have bought my house when I did.  Suburban land costs are insane now.  I had dreams of buying a few acres of land nearby to build more greenhouses but vacant land prices have doubled or tripled because of potential for building subdivisions.  Maybe when my kids are grown we can move to central PA where land is cheap.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:11:11 PM by brian »

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Today at 07:35:16 AM »
Thanks for posting the video, always nice to learn from other people’s successes. It’s interesting how many of the fruiting challenges seem universal to greenhouse growers (ie soursop). I was curious about how many members grow in similar conditions?

I too am interested in your fan, do you know what model it is? I got one that was wet rated 7 years ago and the fan blades edges that hit my passionfruit have started to rust.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Today at 08:26:37 AM »
This was such a wonderful video! I had no idea about keeping jabos in larger bonsai pots to contain growth yet still get fruit, great tip.

Brian, do you mind sharing where you found those pots?
« Last Edit: Today at 01:32:19 PM by RS »

Dad

• Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Today at 10:11:17 AM »
Awesome Greenhouse Brian! I’m about 15 min north of Philly, and have been considering building something similar ahead of next winter. This past winter I had everything (~50 citrus/tropical) in grow tents in my detached garage. But everything will be too big by next winter. Did you build it yourself? Any specs you could share? Incredible stuff!

Great video eyeckr, I literally created an account after watching it!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Today at 01:55:08 PM »
Took me a while to watch, due to pausing a lot, as didn't want to miss a moment. Great video eyeckr, and your greenhouse is magnificent Brian! The hanging bonsais really add a wonderful touch and feel to the view. Will be great to see updates and your progress over time. Best of luck and thanks for sharing!!!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Today at 05:52:24 PM »
Tropicaltoba, the fan is "J&D Manufacturing".  This company seems to be widely represented on greenhousemegastore.com where I got my greenhouse kit from and my vent openers and exhaust fans are from the same company. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00493P7SE/

RS, the pizza-sized jabo container is Maccourt "plantainer".  I got it at Home Depot.   The bigger ones are a little pricey otherwise but good quality.  They were marked down on clearance once so I bought a bunch of them.  I use the larger 20gal ones also
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MacCourt-Small-9-Gal-26-in-x-7-in-Polyethylene-Plantainer-Pond-Liner-PP2607/308656695
The smaller containers in the air are plastic foodservice containers from leftover corporate catering, takeout, and such.

Dad, yes I built it myself from a kit from greenhousemegastore.com, with help from family and friends.  It was a huge effort but well worth it.  Paying somebody else to do the foundation, assembly, and utilties would have tripled the price for sure.  I learned it a lot.. the build is documented here:
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18512.0
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32173.0

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Today at 06:08:31 PM »
Nice to see a tour of your place, Brian. Hopefully, your Uvaria holds its fruit. I'm looking forward to updates about that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk