Author Topic: My Longan and Cherimoya tropical fruit trees  (Read 6527 times)

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
My Longan and Cherimoya tropical fruit trees
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

We always want a cherimoya, atemoya and longan trees but our yard is limited.  So I decide to graft coule varieties on our trees.  Thank you Frank for these scions.  I picked them up yesterday and grafted them this morning.  Last week, I fertilized and watered it.  Wish me luck, ill try to update it.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Here are couple pics

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:05:43 PM by Tony714 »

Tony714

• View Profile
Re: My tropical fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »
Here is 1 of longan trees that i cut it to shape it.  In the meantime, I tried to graft lychee to it.  Will see how it goes.

BEFORE

AFTER

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:56:21 PM by Tony714 »

Tony714

• View Profile
Re: My tropical fruit trees
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
Here the other longan tree.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: My Longan and Cherimoya tropical fruit trees
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »
Great looking trees. I love the separation of the scaffold branches on your Cherimoya tree. Your Longan look great as well. Franks got tons of great Annonas. Those are going to be awesome trees. Don’t forget Orton in your Cherimoya line up.

Simon

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »
Just so you know...the problem with multi graft is that you will get pollen contamination. You will not get the true fruit of the variety you grafted.

I use a multi graft tree to hold my scions until I get good root stocks.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
Pollen contamination? Are you saying that pollen origin influences fruit type on cherimoyas? That the only way to get true to type fruit from a given cultivar is to separate the cultivars/prevent cross pollination?

I ask because I was supposed to multigraft today but got distracted with my persimmons instead. Would be helpful to know before I start tomorrow.

K

Just so you know...the problem with multi graft is that you will get pollen contamination. You will not get the true fruit of the variety you grafted.

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 12:38:28 AM »
Thank you Simon.  Ill keep that in mind and lookinh intit next graft.

Seanny -  i dont jnow about it.  Any expert please chime in.

You know what, im so excited about it all day and name it Tropical Yogurt tree.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 01:33:40 AM »

Pollen contamination due to nocturnal pollinators.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:44:59 AM »

Gonz, are those the translucent green insectoid creatures that suck on your inflorescences at nigh?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 02:14:00 AM »

Gonz, are those the translucent green insectoid creatures that suck on your inflorescences at nigh?

I read & this is quite interesting regarding nocturnal pollinators that caused pollen contamination.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:25:00 AM by gozp »

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 02:36:15 AM »
Thats a green lacewing and they are super important to a healthy garden. They eat all the bad bugs minus nematodes. This poster is high/uninformed about this bug. Chris
-Chris

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 03:11:53 AM »
Pollen contamination? Are you saying that pollen origin influences fruit type on cherimoyas? That the only way to get true to type fruit from a given cultivar is to separate the cultivars/prevent cross pollination?

I ask because I was supposed to multigraft today but got distracted with my persimmons instead. Would be helpful to know before I start tomorrow.

K

You will not get true fruit from the seeds of that fruit is what he means? I mean a Cumbe branche that receives polen from another cv still will produce Cumbe cherimoyas, right?

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 11:45:10 AM »
Thank you Cal Hocley, Gozp, Frank and Chris for your great info.   I learn something new.  Is there other way to prevent green liceing beside hand pollination?

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 01:03:48 PM »

K

You will not get true fruit from the seeds of that fruit is what he means? I mean a Cumbe branch that receives polen from another cv still will produce Cumbe cherimoyas, right?

Well, I found this paper that explains pseudo-xenic effects using different polens between more common Annona species:

http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/42/7/1534.full
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:07:44 PM by Jose Spain »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 10:55:58 PM »
A couple of different races make a baby of a third race. Fruits are the same.

When you take pollen from one branch to pollinate flower on a different branch you would affect the fruit produced. You could prevent this if you limit pollen of one variety to pollinate only flower of the same variety. It would be hard to collect pollen since there are so little flowers on a branch.

There are people whom don't like to hand pollinate annona. They use a fan to pollinate. If your multi grafted is in a windy area, there is a chance for pollen contamination.

However, don't let this stop you from having multi grafted tree. Right now I have bi grafted trees and one multi grafted. I'm out of space.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »
A couple of different races make a baby of a third race. Fruits are the same.

When you take pollen from one branch to pollinate flower on a different branch you would affect the fruit produced. You could prevent this if you limit pollen of one variety to pollinate only flower of the same variety. It would be hard to collect pollen since there are so little flowers on a branch.

There are people whom don't like to hand pollinate annona. They use a fan to pollinate. If your multi grafted is in a windy area, there is a chance for pollen contamination.

However, don't let this stop you from having multi grafted tree. Right now I have bi grafted trees and one multi grafted. I'm out of space.

Letzjust say there is no winds for pollen contamination, what kind of insects contaminates the polllen???

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 11:16:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. I hadn’t realized that could happen. Metaxenia

K

You will not get true fruit from the seeds of that fruit is what he means? I mean a Cumbe branch that receives polen from another cv still will produce Cumbe cherimoyas, right?

Well, I found this paper that explains pseudo-xenic effects using different polens between more common Annona species:

http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/42/7/1534.full

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:13 AM »
Seanny - yeah it cant stop me.  Will see how it turn out.  What happenned to your grafted tree? Did you ever get fruit from it?

Gozp - let just say it's not grafted.  It's possible to get pollen contamination  from neighbors, right?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 02:16:27 AM »
Seanny - yeah it cant stop me.  Will see how it turn out.  What happenned to your grafted tree? Did you ever get fruit from it?

Gozp - let just say it's not grafted.  It's possible to get pollen contamination  from neighbors, right?

U may want to direct your question to the guy who posted pollen contamination as I have no knowledge on those kind of ballonies.

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
Sorry Gozp. 

Im leavimg outhere to see any thoughts.  What happen to fruit when next door or neighbor grow different variety?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »

I have over 12 Cherimoya trees and each bear over 12 varieties to 20 varieties, no issues whatsoever. its fun to see how all these fruit and mature at different times. My favorite this year was Sabor.

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
Good to know and thank you Behl for your reply.   When you have time, please post some pics.  Do you mind to share some prune to maintain balance and fertilizer please?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 12:32:43 AM »
I prune once a year and use bioflora for Fert. I will post pics of my yard soon. do not let any branch grow longer than 12 inches, and make sure your cherimoya tree has low multiple branches no higher than 18-24 inches, this ensures you can keep dwarf height easy to pollinate. I keep my main canopy under 6 feet when I prune, at end of season it gets back to 9 to 10 feet, but majority of flowers and fruits are on lower 6 feet.

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 02:02:54 AM »
I see new lives but no sign for Cuban Red and Pierce

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 02:04:53 AM »