Author Topic: Questions on Edward Mango production  (Read 5960 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Questions on Edward Mango production
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
Hi all, I keep reading that Edwards is a shy bearing mango variety.  But what does that mean?  I have no idea what a normal mango tree produces.  So if I expect my Edwards Mango tree to reach 15 feet diameter what kind of numbers of fruit should I expect?  10?  100?  If it only reaches 10 feet diameter what kind of numbers should I expect?  Is production steady from year to year or does it vary greatly?  Also does it have to be a larger tree than most to start bearing?  Any info from people who actually grow this tree would be appreciated.

Bill

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Questions on Edward Mango production
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
It would be difficult for anyone to give you an estimate on the difference been a 10 ft diameter Edward and a 15 ft. However, when we are talking about shy bearer, we are talking about really low production compared to neighboring trees of other varieties. For example, one of the Edward trees I harvest has maybe around 50 pounds of fruit on it at around 30+ ft tall. A Zill tree next to it has literally hundreds and hundreds of pounds of fruit and is roughly the same dimensions.

I also happen to have a small well-branched tree around 4 feet tall that is holding exactly 4 fruits to maturity. A medium producing cultivar of similar size may have more than twice as many fruits in a normal year, while a productive variety like Pickering or Glenn may have even more than that.

As far as consistency, I would actually say Edward is one of the most consistent mangoes in terms of actually producing a crop every year. This is probably due to the fact that it normally has two blooms....one in November and another in January. So while other cultivars may wind up producing more fruit most years, they could 'take a year off', which Edward trees rarely seem to do if at all. This trait also results in a somewhat extended ripening season for it I'll typically get them as early as May and still be getting a few ones as late as July.

The beauty of the Edward is in its sumptuous flavor. Its a true classic. If you grow it, and look at the production, and wonder why its still there, your suddenly reminded why when you eat one again.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:46:09 PM by Squam256 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:22:10 AM »
It is difficult to discuss actual numbers of fruit or poundage (no matter what the size of the tree is), as that varies from year to year depending on the climate/mother nature...and of course the care you give the tree and the tree's overall health.  With that being said, and to echo Squam's explanation with respect to being a shy bearer, comparing Edward to most other varieties, it does not seem to set and hold the same number of fruit.  It is consistent with this statement.  It is not a variety that will out produce another variety of an equal sized tree of equal health given the same care/conditions.

The unfortunate thing with Edward being a shy bearer is that it is an overall excellent quality, taste and texture wise, mango.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
I have a thick juicy 4 X 4 foot tree - probably 4 years old now and NOT A SINGLE FRUIT to date, and that includes this year as they all fell off AGAIN as they started to gain some size.  It would be nice if someone could discover what causes a beautiful mango like Edward to drop so many of it's fruitf.  I mean, what does it have that is different from any other mango that causes this???  Might it be perhaps a higher need for Phosphorous...or maybe some minor element?  I wish the Fairchild people would do some experimenting......

I'm sorry I got mine, and may (WILL) start grafting some other varietes on to it next spring.  It is such a waste!

FangGrrrrrrrrrring

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
My neighbor has a large Edward, maybe 25 ft. tall.  It sets a fair # of fruit each year.  It does seem to hold less fruit for it's size than many others, but overall I don't think it's quite as shy as some imply.  At least that's what I have seen from that particular tree...

He doesn't care for mango's, and trims his trees in an ornamental fashion.  Sort of opposite of what we do ...  Also, no particular care is taken of the fruit trees in regards to nutrition, water, etc.   It is quite a healthy tree from what I can see even under those conditions.

Also in his yard are Julie, Carrie, Bombay, Valencia Pride, and another large variety I have not been able to identify..

EDIT :  Just took another look at my neighbors Edward.  It actually does have a pretty limited set this year for a tree of it's size .. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:08:15 PM by Sleepdoc »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:50:26 AM »
Ok guys, thanks for the feedback.  I have more trees than I will be able to plant and I was just trying to get an idea of what kind of production to expect.  I'm guessing 10 mangos off of a 10-15 foot tree.  How knows maybe the tree will love my dry weather and go crazy.  We can only hope.

Bill