Author Topic: Some of my trees  (Read 11483 times)

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Re: Some of my trees
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 09:30:42 AM »
Muitos parabéns Nélio! Congratulations, your coffe plants are amazing!  ::)

Thank you Luís!
How are the ones I sent to you, doing so far? And the Solanum robustum, has adapted to your climate?
Hello Nélio! The solanum is great and growing very fast! Lets see how he will go with cold temp. The coffe plants are great but i will not put them on ground. I think i will loose them if i plant them on ground.  ;D

I guess you can keep them in big pots, and make them fruit that way. Anyway, it can't hurt to put one or two in the ground, if I remembre weel I sent you quite a few, so you can take some risk.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »

Thank you Luís!
How are the ones I sent to you, doing so far? And the Solanum robustum, has adapted to your climate?
Hello Nélio! The solanum is great and growing very fast! Lets see how he will go with cold temp. The coffe plants are great but i will not put them on ground. I think i will loose them if i plant them on ground.  ;D

I guess you can keep them in big pots, and make them fruit that way. Anyway, it can't hurt to put one or two in the ground, if I remembre weel I sent you quite a few, so you can take some risk.
I don't want to take the risk of loosing any plant. I'm dying to try the coffe fruits. I read they have amazing health properties...

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 10:59:40 AM »
Wow, very nice plants Grapebush, your site seems to be in hills is that right? So you don't get any hard freezes there? Thanks for sharing great pic's 8)

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »

Thank you Luís!

I don't want to take the risk of loosing any plant. I'm dying to try the coffe fruits. I read they have amazing health properties...

It is supposed to have a good dose of antioxidants, and they are very sweet; and because of that, every year I have Blackbirds (Turdus merula) doing constant raids, to my tree.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »
Wow, very nice plants Grapebush, your site seems to be in hills is that right? So you don't get any hard freezes there? Thanks for sharing great pic's 8)

Thank you Scott!
My site is in a hilly area (I live in a volcanic Island, so flat terrain is almost impossible to find), but it's not in the mountains. It's about 300m altitude, and here in the Island we rarely have freezes, and if they occur it is never under 1000m of altitude. The temps here don't have that much variation all year long; in some years we can have 23 degrees Celcius in December and January...

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »
Congratulations on your nice harvest, Nelio. It looks like a painting with all the different colors.

I planted coffee in the north of Portugal 3 years ago - of the 'normal' variety you can buy in big garden centers here. I must have planted 20 to 30 one year old seedlings - none of them survived the first winter... But I am more northerly than Luis...

Tea did survive, but coffee didn't, so guess what I'll be drinking...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
Congratulations on your nice harvest, Nelio. It looks like a painting with all the different colors.

I planted coffee in the north of Portugal 3 years ago - of the 'normal' variety you can buy in big garden centers here. I must have planted 20 to 30 one year old seedlings - none of them survived the first winter... But I am more northerly than Luis...

Tea did survive, but coffee didn't, so guess what I'll be drinking...

Thank you Solko!

If you want to try again, I can get you a few seedlings! As you can see I have a lot to pull off...
Apparently there is one variety that can hold some cold, but I'm not sure which one it is... Maybe the yellow one...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
Here's a little update, on some of my plants, that are now fruiting or flowering, or just developing nicely.

Another mango tree. This one always flowers like crazy, but sets very poorly, and most fruits come with some kind of deformation, and end up aborting before ripening... (this year is the last chance for it to deliver me some good fruit, or next year, will be topworked, or replaced by something else...).

It worked!!! I need to threaten, some more of my fruit trees! This year it is holding 6 or 7 fruits, and they are the bigest ones I've ever seen on my trees; I think one of them should be a little bit more than 2kg, and they're still rock hard, so maybe they will still grow a bit more...

And now some images of some of my other trees:
Mangos

My Date Palm, is flowering for the first time, and it is not even 1m in trunk height, and is maybe the more neglected of my plants...

Some pitangas, from my older tree.

Ripe pineaples, and another one flowering.

Some Persimons getting to ripness.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 07:22:58 PM »
There's a long time since I updated this post for the last time.
lately I've had very little time to take proper care of my plants, and when I do it, not always take pics, or have the time to share it.
So this is what's going on with some of my plants for now:

Yellow tamarillo and Solanum robustum setting some fruit.

Inga feuillei flowering.

Dwarf brasilian bananas doing fine. And a lot of their pups removed to give away.

Cavendish type (maybe williams), doing also fine, and some papayas as well.

Coffee going crazy.

The only mangoes this year.

Yellow Dragon fruit cutting, flowering in a small pot.

Out of curiosity; has anyone ever seen this in a Myrtaceae? The other day I planted a few seedlings in the ground, and this Eugenia brasiliensins, had this nodes in the roots, just like the fabaceae have; does anyone ever had this happening to their Myrtaceae trees?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »
Nice garden, thanks for the photos.
Brad Spaugh

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 04:43:36 AM »
WOW!!! Congratulations Nélio, it's just fabulous!!!  ;D

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »
Thank you very much to you both for your comments!