Author Topic: Black apples?  (Read 1538 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Black apples?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 01:06:39 PM »
Read an article last week about them. Interesting but not something I think many if any of us could grow here in the States unless you had an orchard  maybe in the Rockies. I would pay $7 for the novelty of trying one and snagging some seeds. I think the environment is the kicker though as opposed to the cultivar.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
On the other hand, Arkansas black should be relatively easy to find in USA. An old american variety, well tested and reliable.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:06:47 PM by pvaldes »

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 03:49:57 AM »
On the other hand, Arkansas black should be relatively easy to find in USA. An old american variety, well tested and reliable.

Fortunately, you can get grafts of several different black apples, instead of trying your luck with seeds :). There are a few places that sell unusual apple varieties, but my favorite one is http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/master-variety-list/. Searching their list for 'black', I see 7 varieties pop up. I've purchased several trees from them.

Newgen: I'm also in a zone 9b, but we manage to grow apples here rather well. We get close to ~900 chilling hours every year, which is enough for most apple trees. I'm currently growing 3 varietals, and my neighbor is growing many more than that. If you're interested in growing unusual apples, there are some that support a lower number of chilling hours. If you're going for sweet, check out the 'golden sweet', which is likened to biting into honey. Same with the 'husk sweet.'