Author Topic: I want to buy: Tabo fruit (willughbeia sp.) seeds from Palawan, Philippines  (Read 3515 times)

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
I asked author of this article but he said that he has never come across them again.
http://www.myhealthblog.org/2010/07/23/exotic-fruit-tabo-from-the-virgin-forests-of-palawan-philippines/

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
I have seen a few references on line to tabo so I do not think it is extremely rare there.  It sounds like it is probably W. sarawakensis.  Sarawakensis is the only Willughbeia I have seen "officially" stated as being on Palawan.  The pictures I have seen of tabo are of a round fruit.  I generally think of sarawakensis as being pear shaped but I have also seen pictures on line of round Willughbeia fruits claiming to be sarawakensis so I guess it must be variable?  The vegetation on Palawan is much more aligned with Borneo than with the rest of the Philippines so it makes sense it is seen there. 

John

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
Tabo has white pulp.

Maryoto

• WhatsApp +62 812 3688 1182
    • Borneo
    • View Profile
Tabo has white pulp.
I think Tabo fruit is willughbeia elmerii.
They looks similar, i mean Tabo and elmerii has big seeds and also rounded.
They are also big fruits.
If you're looking for Willughbeia cochinchinensis maybe i can help you.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
Tabo has white pulp.
Yeah, I think the same
I was looking for wilughbeia cochinchinensis too, but now I read that it is sour with very little sugar and I preffer sweet or well balanced sweet/sour fruits. If you know about  wilughbeia cochinchinensis which is not too sour I am interested.

Maryoto

• WhatsApp +62 812 3688 1182
    • Borneo
    • View Profile
Tabo has white pulp.
Yeah, I think the same
I was looking for wilughbeia cochinchinensis too, but now I read that it is sour with very little sugar and I preffer sweet or well balanced sweet/sour fruits. If you know about  wilughbeia cochinchinensis which is not too sour I am interested.
I don't have the fruits in here.
But my friend in Cambodia has the access to the fruits.
Not sure about the taste, but he said it's sweet and sour.
I asked him to send me the seeds.
He said okay,but my problem is i couldn't send the shipping costs to Cambodia by western union...as i live in small village in here in borneo.
I can paypal him but,he said he has no paypal account.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
I had missed the pulp color in the photo.  One of the sources I found had listed sarawakensis as tabo and a checklist I found for Palawan had listed only sarawakensis as being present there so I guess I assumed this correct.  However, i have also been coming across another name -- palau saguit saguit -- that I thought was a synonym in a different dialect that might actually be sarawakensis.  One source actually lists "tabu" as W. edulis, which I believe is synonymous with cochinensis.  So it sounds like there are at least two Willughbeia present there. 

In any event, it is probably not extremely rare.  I have found references to people buying them in markets and there is also a travelog account of someone having been served it in a restaurant (Adventist Hospital Canteen?) in Puerto Princesa. 

I have been researching fruits of Palawan as I am considering a holiday there.  So far, I am not finding as many Bornean species present as I suspected so it makes me wonder if they are not there or if the documentation of what is there is incomplete...

John

Tabo has white pulp.

celtungol

• Philippines
    • View Profile
I gave some tabo seeds for sharing.  Kindly message me directly in cmtungol1@yahoo.com.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk