Author Topic: Achacha (garcinia humilis) growing experiences around the world  (Read 3606 times)

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Achacha (garcinia humilis) growing experiences around the world
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 12:53:53 AM »
Oscar, will it fruit twice for you or fruit out of season?
Ours is finishing up right now but it also can fruit around March/April.
Peter
Yeah Peter, it seems to fruit at least twice a year, one heavy crop and then a light one. Sometimes there can even be a third light crop.

At what age can they start bearing fruit oscar?

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 08:19:44 AM »
Thanks Oscar.  Still waiting for my pig to bloom for the first time.  Mocks me with every try.  It's 13+ years, 10' tall, and 7'+ wide.  Height often pruned to keep off the glass.  I've long ago come to the conclusion that while my greenhouse is providing "good" conditions for these trees, it unfortunately falls far short of what they would excel with....putting me years behind.  It is frustrating though when I see plants in Florida fruiting at 5 or so years.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 09:08:25 AM »
I have planted and am growing at least 200 Achacha in every type of condition. About 150 from seed either direct planted or started in pots and planted w/in 6 mos.,  at various times over the last 4 years and about 50 that were already started using out dated degenerative industrial farming practices planted 4 years ago.  The already grown plants were from 2’ to 6’ from pots at planting.  All but one of the already started trees has been on an artesian water drip system on a well of 550’ from the aquifer, that I turn on for 2-4 weeks/total/year during drought.  None of the seeds planted directly are on any water system nor have they been hand watered.  The biggest of all the trees planted 4 years ago at 7’ at planting from pot should be fruiting by now but hasn’t, but maybe this year.  The fastest growing tree we have is the only tree that has never been watered and  is not connected to drip and is planted in full sun next to a very large fallen oak limb it was 2’ at planting and is over 6’ now it is surrounded by a huge patch of thick tall Cesar Weed A known nitrogen scavenger.  Most seed I planted I assume are doing well none are given extra water and none of these are on drip.  Our 2nd fastest grower is also in full sun but is on drip.  Like everything else here they are planted in a biodiverse  grasss/legume/weed mix in an uncut orchard floor system also planted along with seed grown organically sourced citrus of various varieties, cacao, and other Garcinia Varieties and Bananas along with other stuff too many to list here. The non stop record rain here over the last couple months has put most of our over 400 Garcinias into a continuous growth spurt. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:38:49 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 01:53:23 PM »
Thanks Oscar.  Still waiting for my pig to bloom for the first time.  Mocks me with every try.  It's 13+ years, 10' tall, and 7'+ wide.  Height often pruned to keep off the glass.  I've long ago come to the conclusion that while my greenhouse is providing "good" conditions for these trees, it unfortunately falls far short of what they would excel with....putting me years behind.  It is frustrating though when I see plants in Florida fruiting at 5 or so years.

I'm zone pushing in the North Carolina. How warm are you keeping your tropical specimens in the winter?

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »
Avg 65.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 12:01:38 AM »
Oscar, will it fruit twice for you or fruit out of season?
Ours is finishing up right now but it also can fruit around March/April.
Peter
Yeah Peter, it seems to fruit at least twice a year, one heavy crop and then a light one. Sometimes there can even be a third light crop.

At what age can they start bearing fruit oscar?
My one tree started fruiting at 8 years. But if i planted lots i bet there would be some fruiting at 5-6 years old.
Oscar