Author Topic: Eugenia candolleana  (Read 102555 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Eugenia candolleana
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2016, 08:16:50 PM »
Good to hear, Oscar, I haven't tried the fruit yet, looking forward to it, hope it will set fruits soon.
I got the material from a neighbor collector who, I believe, got it from fruitlovers.
Peter
Wanted to refer you to a post i made a couple years back talking about bumper crop of rarinforest plum, but can't find it with search feature. I posted lots of photos. Anyhow i remember i picked 16 pounds of fruit in just one day. That was off of 3-4 bushes that were fruiting at the time.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2016, 09:17:48 PM »
Looked at my Rainforest plums today and noticed some fruit that set on the one a got from FlyingFoxFruits a few years ago, Its about 4 or 5 years old and has been flowering the last 2 years. I just fertilized them a few weeks ago when they started flowering with some Happy Frog all purpose 5-5-5 so maybe that helped set fruit, Im going to give this one some extra High phosphorus Jamaican bat guano 0-10-0 and some molasses to really give it a boost.

This will be my first time trying this fruit so im stoked ;D

Still have 8 trees from Fruitlovers flowering almost 3 years old but im not holding my breath. Flowers still look cool 8)

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2017, 07:04:16 AM »
Hello guys!!
Have you got any Eugenia candolleana seeds for sale?
Thanks!!
Lorenzo

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »
I think raul and luc have them when in season.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:21 AM »
Thanks!!
Lorenzo

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 21, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »
Hello guys!!
Have you got any Eugenia candolleana seeds for sale?
Thanks!!

Here in Mexico they fruit in September Lory .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2017, 12:56:26 AM »
Thanks everybody I'll be patiently waiting for the right time :-)
Lorenzo

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
Finally getting a few fruits from my tree.
The fully colored one i had yesterday tasted great.

I lost the first one to a bird peck, but i did take a nibble of non-pecked part.

My tree's fruits are a bit smaller then a green grape however they have tiny soft seeds some of which I just eat.
Maybe this will change as it get older.

The tree is in a 15 gallon pot.
Anyone have experience with this in the ground in South Florida?
It looks really ornamental so I'd like to plant it out.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 15, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »
I have a bush still in a 7 gallon that is 3-4 years old. I got it when it was a seedling. It flowered
the past 2 years and is holding about 10 fruit now. I can't wait to try the fruit. About a year after I
got the seedling I bought 2 more 2' yearling trees and put them in the ground. They didn't thrive is
an understatement, They turned yellow and never did much. The first winter the trees shed their leaves
and one never came out of dormancy. The other tree I dug up last week. 3 years the tree was the same size.
It shed all its leaves and looks terrible now. I have seen pictures of beautiful 10 foot trees in peoples yards
and I really would like a couple in my yard. I had basically the same thing happen to a red jabo I put in
my yard. Meanwhile I have 3 red jabos in 15 gallon pots that have been producing nonstop since last summer.
For me I am going to bump up my candolleana in a 15 pot and wait, Hopefully I will have a few seeds to plant this fall
and I may try to put seedlings in the ground later. Does anyone have a large candoleanna in the ground in Florida?
If skhsn puts your tree in the ground please keep me posted. I personally wouldn't risk it. A 4-5 year old tree finally
producing, no way! I am still trying to figure out if it is the high ph or bright sun or both that is effecting Eugenia?

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »
I have a bush still in a 7 gallon that is 3-4 years old. I got it when it was a seedling. It flowered
the past 2 years and is holding about 10 fruit now. I can't wait to try the fruit. About a year after I
got the seedling I bought 2 more 2' yearling trees and put them in the ground. They didn't thrive is
an understatement, They turned yellow and never did much. The first winter the trees shed their leaves
and one never came out of dormancy. The other tree I dug up last week. 3 years the tree was the same size.
It shed all its leaves and looks terrible now. I have seen pictures of beautiful 10 foot trees in peoples yards
and I really would like a couple in my yard. I had basically the same thing happen to a red jabo I put in
my yard. Meanwhile I have 3 red jabos in 15 gallon pots that have been producing nonstop since last summer.
For me I am going to bump up my candolleana in a 15 pot and wait, Hopefully I will have a few seeds to plant this fall
and I may try to put seedlings in the ground later. Does anyone have a large candoleanna in the ground in Florida?
If skhsn puts your tree in the ground please keep me posted. I personally wouldn't risk it. A 4-5 year old tree finally
producing, no way! I am still trying to figure out if it is the high ph or bright sun or both that is effecting Eugenia?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I guess I won't risk my fruiting 15 gallon candolleana.
I'll experiment with seeds like your doing.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »

IMO ECondolleana does well in SFLa. Should grow fast (1-2ft/yr), and fruit 2-3 y/old. I have several on the ground 3-4 year-old.
In my experience 2 things may affect mostly some myrtaceae/eguenia/plinia  in SFl: A. some type of fungus that starts killing new grown/leaves and ends up sometimes killing the plant: I have used systemic fungicides before fruiting (1. Aliette Bayer is the only real systemic fungicide. 2. Salt of Potassium Phosphate (Agrisel BioPhos Pro, Agri-fos ), 3.Chlorothalonil (Daconil Docket WS Fungicide - Generic Daconil Weather Stik) and B. High PH Soil: use chelated iron 3-4X/year.
Federico
Homestead, FL

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »

IMO ECondolleana does well in SFLa. Should grow fast (1-2ft/yr), and fruit 2-3 y/old. I have several on the ground 3-4 year-old.
In my experience 2 things may affect mostly some myrtaceae/eguenia/plinia  in SFl: A. some type of fungus that starts killing new grown/leaves and ends up sometimes killing the plant: I have used systemic fungicides before fruiting (1. Aliette Bayer is the only real systemic fungicide. 2. Salt of Potassium Phosphate (Agrisel BioPhos Pro, Agri-fos ), 3.Chlorothalonil (Daconil Docket WS Fungicide - Generic Daconil Weather Stik) and B. High PH Soil: use chelated iron 3-4X/year.

If it can work in your area I probably can work here too.
I might amend the area will sulfur and/or a whole lot of peat.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2017, 03:45:19 PM »
Thanks fsanchez2000 for the good info. Is your soil high ph and you use Chelated iron?
I was using the wrong iron and thanks to the forum I should have the right iron now. I put some
on 2 weeks ago, so I should see the results soon.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 14, 2018, 05:49:03 AM »
For anyone growing this tree (Oscar).  How big does th tree get?  Or is more like a big bush? Does the tree need constant water like on a drip line or can it be okay with regular rainfall and seasonal dry periods? 

Oscar how big/tall are your trees?
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #264 on: September 14, 2018, 06:51:34 AM »
For anyone growing this tree (Oscar).  How big does th tree get?  Or is more like a big bush? Does the tree need constant water like on a drip line or can it be okay with regular rainfall and seasonal dry periods? 

I planted mine very close together, like a hedge. That was before i traveled to Brazil and saw how large they can get! There at Rio de Janeiro botanical garden i saw trees with trunks that were about a foot diameter across, and height over 30 feet. But these were really old trees i guess. My trees are about 10 feet tall. They seem to be fine as a hedge as long as you prune them regularly. They seem to like a lot of water. Don't know how drought tolerant they are.
Oscar

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
Mine have survived but not thrived on a conservative water schedule. They've become understory in a hedge that's dominated by rose apple, allspice and sweet Java plum.
Shane

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2018, 03:19:11 PM »

Last year I had it in a 25g pot of straight peat moss with daily watering and I got a decent amount of fruits.
I planted it in the ground in January with only rain to water it, flowered plenty but no fruits. Also has fewer leaves.

Maybe is throwing out more roots, I'll run a drip line to it next chance i get.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 14, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #268 on: October 26, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »

Put on a beautiful bloom the other day.

Its been nearly 2 years in the ground from a fruiting 15g.
I have it on daily watering.
Planted it with a 3 cu ft pack of peat moss and had 1 foot of much (now decomposed) around it.

Results:
No fruit
Flowers once or twice a year
Super slow growth.

This is looking like a fruit that is better to grow in pots down in South Florida
I might just dig mine up and put it in a pot next year.
Fruit from this particular tree are delicious, favorite Eugenia i've had so far

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
My lone tree flowers heavy and sets fruit sparingly. I am convinced
I need another tree? The tree had 500 flowers and I got less then 50 fruit.
I also really enjoy the fruit I do get.

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2022, 03:11:11 AM »
Can Eugenia candolleana be grafted on Eugenia uniflora?
Can any other Eugenia be grafted on surinam cherry?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 29, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »

Put on a beautiful bloom the other day.

Its been nearly 2 years in the ground from a fruiting 15g.
I have it on daily watering.
Planted it with a 3 cu ft pack of peat moss and had 1 foot of much (now decomposed) around it.

Results:
No fruit
Flowers once or twice a year
Super slow growth.

This is looking like a fruit that is better to grow in pots down in South Florida
I might just dig mine up and put it in a pot next year.
Fruit from this particular tree are delicious, favorite Eugenia i've had so far

Im not the only one with the same problem, my tree flowers profusely for the past 2 years & no fruit. Im from socal zone 9b.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2022, 03:11:27 PM »

Because Surinam Cherry is the only Eugenia I know that can grow in 8+ pH soil.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 29, 2022, 03:17:48 PM »

Just acidify your soil with sulphur and organic matter?

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »

Just acidify your soil with sulphur and organic matter?

I do that already, but it only helps somewhat.  Using the right rootstock is always better.

They are using the Eugenia genus too broadly for all kinds of graft incompatible species.
Other fruit trees are graft compatible even when they are in different genuses/genera, but in the same family.