Author Topic: Carissa macrocarpa flower to fruit?  (Read 701 times)

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
Carissa macrocarpa flower to fruit?
« on: May 10, 2020, 05:07:04 PM »
H, i have never tasted Carissa macrocarpa, reading another thread i got the impression that i may be disappointed as people do not seem to like it. Anyway, last year i had one Carissa macrocarpa, it made plenty of scented flowers, but no fruit; why so? If i have 2 or 3 plants next to each other, will they pollinate each other so that all of them produce fruit? And by the way, your own opinion about its worth as fruit?

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
Re: Carissa macrocarpa flower to fruit?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:58:48 AM »
Someone here http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26716.msg309438#msg309438 said s/he got fruit from Carissa macrocarpa only one plant. If so, why mine produced flowers but no fruit last year?
Btw still waiting your own assessment of the fruit.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 04:30:25 AM »
First of all about the taste, to me at least it doesnt have any particular taste, it is just juicy and refresing, nothing more. I also have one plant at my vacation home that produces fruit on its own. They can produce fruit even when they are quite small. Does your plant receive full sun?

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:54:15 AM »
Yes, it is in a place with full sun. There is basil nearby, but the basil does not scare all insects away. Last year the Carissa produced lots of flowers, but they did not turn into fruit. I thought they needed cross pollination, so i added two plants from another supplier, the two new plants did not yet flower, but i think i see buds. You are the second person here that says one only plant can produce fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk