Author Topic: Pruning anonas with fruits  (Read 1104 times)

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
Pruning anonas with fruits
« on: September 15, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »
Hi, my atemoya is getting lengthy.  It has fruit in it now.  I was thinking of pinching or pruning of the tips, maybe by about 6" or more.  I heard that if you prine while the tree has fruits, the fruits will drop.  If so, I'll just wait till mar/april.

I have another atemoya tree that also has fruit, and some branches that I want to get rid of. This one the tree is not as pretty.  A lot of thin useless branches.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 11:16:19 AM by sosamo »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning anonas with fruits
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:50:43 AM »
I would think you could do some minor pruning without fruit dropping.  It seems to have worked for me.  I even took off several big branches.
John

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
I would think you could do some minor pruning without fruit dropping.  It seems to have worked for me.  I even took off several big branches.

Thanks for the input John. I'll wait for a few more inputs.  If the fruit start dropping, the wife will be pretty mad. But worst I will hear "I told you so"....

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
I have been selling scions off atemoyas and sugar apples with fruit and it hasn't caused
any fruit drop. I am in Florida and the fruit is further along though. Also all my annonas
go dormant when the days get short enough. The dormant period is not triggered by
cool weather. I don't expect my trees that I trimmed will grow much till next Spring?
I was waiting to see if I would get a late flush or not until next Spring. When I did take scions
I made sure I didn't take the scions with leaves shading developing fruit

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »
I have been selling scions off atemoyas and sugar apples with fruit and it hasn't caused
any fruit drop. I am in Florida and the fruit is further along though. Also all my annonas
go dormant when the days get short enough. The dormant period is not triggered by
cool weather. I don't expect my trees that I trimmed will grow much till next Spring?
I was waiting to see if I would get a late flush or not until next Spring. When I did take scions
I made sure I didn't take the scions with leaves shading developing fruit

Great,  thanks for the input. Days are getting shorter here in so cal,  but still above 80 degrees.   Fruits are about tennis ball size.  I'll wait till oct or even till march. I just didn't want it to waste energy growing, instead of the fruits.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:31:31 PM by sosamo »