Author Topic: is black sapote the most tasteless fruit in the history of fruit  (Read 32716 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: is black sapote the most tasteless fruit in the history of fruit
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »
Bernecker has a good flavor and fruit are small and seeded and crops are large.It is as good if not better than Reneike (that is spelt wrongly).The top types here are not really noticeably better in flavor than those 2.

Another added advantage of planting grafted types over seedlings besides taste quality is that the grafted trees stay much smaller, maybe 1/2 or less in size. Seedling black sapotes can get really huge!
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2012, 04:21:25 AM »
I'd like to get the best variety for out of hands eating. Thinking of ordering Bernecker variety, because its suppose to be superb quality, but very hard to get decent info on how it compares to other top varieties. Anyone with taste comparison?

I think Bernicker is the best tasting. It's moist and rich with a good hint of chocolate. It is smaller though and has lots of seeds. I had some last week that were medium sized and seedless from a seedling that bears in opposite season to most others. Bernicker is less useful for baking as its too moist. Maher and Mossman are the superior cooking and processing types.  Mine is 3ft tall and gives near 100 fruit per season so far.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »
3' tall and 100 fruit?? Did I read that right??

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »
Anyone know a US source for Bernecker? So far I have only found them at Frankies in Hawaii but the shipping price is a killer.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »
3' tall and 100 fruit?? Did I read that right??
+1
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »
Milkshake recipe
- sapote so ripe it is almost goo
- cold, full cream milk
- scoop of vanilla ice cream +_ few drops of vanilla essence
- shot or 2 of nice rum

Blend until smooth
The sapote blends the flavours really well and gives it an incredible texture
Very addictive
regards
Jim

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
Hi Jim it sounds real good to me especially the Rum part, I tried something similar before with a Papaya shake  which also has an excellent texture. I will write this one down for my next encounter with Black Sapote.
Thanks for the recipe.
Best regards
Carcarlo

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
I know I should have asked, but anyone know what the variety is that PIN sells? Yeah I could ask them, but I was going to add, anyone who has bought one know if its one of the good tasting varieties?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 01:40:56 PM »
maybe Mike can weigh in on this....he used to work at PIN.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
I know I should have asked, but anyone know what the variety is that PIN sells? Yeah I could ask them, but I was going to add, anyone who has bought one know if its one of the good tasting varieties?

Kind of like on their list they just have, "Starfruit"...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
Milkshake recipe
- sapote so ripe it is almost goo
- cold, full cream milk
- scoop of vanilla ice cream +_ few drops of vanilla essence
- shot or 2 of nice rum

Blend until smooth
The sapote blends the flavours really well and gives it an incredible texture
Very addictive
regards
Jim

If I had to do that much to a fruit to make it "tasty" I think that would qualify and classify it on its own accord as tasteless...
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »
fair enough, but they thrive here on neglect and fruit outside mango season...so when life hands you lemons, make spiked lemonade  8)
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
fair enough, but they thrive here on neglect and fruit outside mango season...so when life hands you lemons, make spiked lemonade  8)

Plenty of moyas, citrus, papaya and other fruit that are way better...even carambola blow away a black sapote.
- Rob

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
You got that right Rob.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 09:30:51 PM »

Plenty of moyas, citrus, papaya and other fruit that are way better...even carambola blow away a black sapote.

you lost me at papaya  :o :P
~Jeff

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 09:50:13 PM »
Seems to be a polarizing fruit,

I took mine out of its prime position in the ground and stuck it in a container then gave that spot to a mango tree after reading about the bland taste.
Then my friend sends me some fruit off his tree and I just fell in love with the taste straight away! I don't mind that its in a container now though, it seems easier to keep the water up to it and position it out of the wind.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »
Avocado are a bit bland and many types don't have a strong or complex flavour. It doesn't mean they are not good.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2016, 11:36:19 PM »
Avocado are a bit bland and many types don't have a strong or complex flavour. It doesn't mean they are not good.

l think the better thing to say is that taste is subjective.   While we, or at least me, might make fun of a fruit or fun of someone who likes a fruit i may not like,  its all in good fun.  They are just opinions and ribbing based on the same. ..there is no right or wrong when it comes to tastes and preferences.   Ones tastes might be skewed buts it doesn't make it wrong  (I guess).  Hahahahahaha
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 06:45:55 AM »

l think the better thing to say is that taste is subjective.   While we, or at least me, might make fun of a fruit or fun of someone who likes a fruit i may not like,  its all in good fun.  They are just opinions and ribbing based on the same. ..there is no right or wrong when it comes to tastes and preferences.   Ones tastes might be skewed buts it doesn't make it wrong  (I guess).  Hahahahahaha

Having said that, if you think June Plum is a good fruit, then you are without a doubt, incorrect  ;D ::) :P
~Jeff

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2016, 07:42:04 AM »

Good point Mike! One of the Spanish names for avocado is AGUAcate; which mean WATERcado because it tastes like water (i.e. "nothing"). Same goes for some zyzygiums like water apple. I actually like BSapote (and avocados and zyzygiums). If it's perfectly ripe it has a subtle aroma and taste which is different from other fruits. I believe that if we only eat strong flavored food, our tastebuds loose the ability to appreciate the complexities in each food. It's similar to adding too much salt or dressing to a salad; then all we taste in the salad is the dressing. If you stop adding salt or dressing to your foods at the beginning vegetables taste bland, but then you start discovering the subtleties in the particular taste of each veggie. Taste is also an evolving function: when you first try something you may not "get it", if you keep trying more times usually you start appreciating the qualities of that food and you may end up liking it. Having said that, I completely agree that taste is a completely personal trait/decision and there will never be a consensus. e.g. I've tried many "ripe" jujubes and I still totally dislike them.   
Federico
Homestead, FL

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »
I have one single plant of Black Sapote, 70cm tall and growing well, now that I read all these words from forum members, I dont know if plant it on the ground on my small urban blackyard or not...

would it fruit into a container? maybe I should wait to taste fruit quality and then plant it or not... I have just 2 or 3 spots for big trees and want to plant macadamia and/or some other annonas like atemoya or so.

what about cold hardiness? will it resist -5 or -6ºC? if so, I could plant it in the open fields...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
I have one single plant of Black Sapote, 70cm tall and growing well, now that I read all these words from forum members, I dont know if plant it on the ground on my small urban blackyard or not...

would it fruit into a container? maybe I should wait to taste fruit quality and then plant it or not... I have just 2 or 3 spots for big trees and want to plant macadamia and/or some other annonas like atemoya or so.

what about cold hardiness? will it resist -5 or -6ºC? if so, I could plant it in the open fields...

It may fruit in a container but bsapote is really a midsize tree 15-40ft tall, not a bush, so not really a potted tree. It is a pretty tree with dense shade so it would shade other trees in a small yard. It may survive -5C occasionally but it's a tropical tree and not deciduous so it wouldn't do well in such climate long term. As has been discussed in the forum, it's really not the most succulent fruit, so there may be better alternatives for top-flavor if space is a limiting factor.
Federico
Homestead, FL

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »
Lycheeluva, the most bland fruit i think must be cocoplum

I'll agree, but there's something elusive in the little flavor they have that I like so I still eat them when I get a chance. There's so little fruit under the skin though they're a challenge to eat and they won't satisfy your hunger the way a few mango or carambola will
Regards,

Gary

Carl.D

• Australia, Brisbane, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2016, 03:16:42 AM »
If you keep it on the tree as long as possible, pick it when it looks a shiny black, it might be a messy feed but its flavourful and sweet.

But hey, I dislike durians & jackfruit.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2016, 10:38:49 PM »
While most Black-Sapotes need additives to be appreciated, the 'Reinecke' is delicious as is.

Lara Farms, near Homestead, Florida, has them.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk