Author Topic: Anyone grow Dioscorea alata (purple yam/ube)?  (Read 14304 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone grow Dioscorea alata (purple yam/ube)?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
It looks really well! Congratulations! I ordered two of them... i'm thinking to plant them on one big pot and grow them outside below a corktree.... any sugestions? And regarding watering? Thank's!
I just got my two d. alata plants and they are HUGE! Big pots and very big plants. I'm very impressed, the plants are beautifull and very healthy!  ;D

From Italy?
Hi! Yes from the nursery you told. By the way thank you very much, i'm very happy!  ;D

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »
Hi! Yes from the nursery you told. By the way thank you very much, i'm very happy!  ;D
Glad to hear that. Mine is growing very fast again, around 3-4 cm per day.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »
Glad to hear that. Mine is growing very fast again, around 3-4 cm per day.
That's great! I will post some pics of my plants in a few weeks... i'm sooo happy!  ;D

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 07:32:57 PM »
Im in south florida. Got a few small bulbils from my local Filipino restaurant. and grow them over the summer season. harvest a huge! tuber from each bulbil. I have many many many starts growing all over the yard from the aerial tubers. dozens literally. I have made many purple pancakes, muffins, pies, smoothies. or just plain boiled and mashed with butter. yummy.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 05:20:42 PM »
My dioscorea alatas on pots...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:21:14 PM by Luisport »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Hi everyone! Today i dig up my dioscorea alata tubers. They are smaller than i thought and they are white, not purple... but very healthy. Here they are:

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 03:30:04 PM »
Hi everyone! Today i dig up my dioscorea alata tubers. They are smaller than i thought and they are white, not purple... but very healthy. Here they are:

This is the boiled d. alata. It is very viscous and difficult to pell. I boiled it in salted water and i like it. It's a neutral flavour and good to eat.  ;D

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
If it weren't for the color, I'd say you got a "Feo" alata. "Florido" types are much easier to peel, being rounded, broad and cylindrical, not lobed (unless grown in heavy clay). I eat them all the same way, boiled, mashed and buttered. It looks like you got a tasty one!

The skin looks slightly tender, like it was picked young. The vine got its start late in the season, right? Not much time to grow. Did you save the little root?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 05:07:42 AM »
If it weren't for the color, I'd say you got a "Feo" alata. "Florido" types are much easier to peel, being rounded, broad and cylindrical, not lobed (unless grown in heavy clay). I eat them all the same way, boiled, mashed and buttered. It looks like you got a tasty one!

The skin looks slightly tender, like it was picked young. The vine got its start late in the season, right? Not much time to grow. Did you save the little root?
Hi! Yes maby i harvest too soon... yes i saved them. That more round ones i don't know... they are good to eat? Do you have bulbs from this one? This is a new world opening... very excited!  ;D

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 08:08:25 AM »

Hi! Yes maby i harvest too soon... yes i saved them. That more round ones i don't know... they are good to eat? Do you have bulbs from this one? This is a new world opening... very excited!  ;D

Nah, you harvested on time, the vine just had a short growing season this year.

The round ones are good. Kind of like your description, it's a neutral taste. Of all the yams, alatas are the softest, and can fall apart in the water if overcooked (thus the name "water yam"). The best ones will be fiber-free. Decent ones will be full of soft, tender fibers. The worst ones have distastefully-noticeable fibers (at least that's my opinion, the folks here enjoy most yams even if they have a preference). I haven't had a bad one in a long time, so I'm not sure if it's related to variety or other factors.

I have "Florido". They're the most common yam here in the markets, together with my favorite, the Guinea Yam (drier, starchier). We propagate them the same way, by planting the top piece after cutting it off of the rest of the tuber; they rarely produce bulbils, if at all. There's also plenty of feral alatas in the mountains. I have a bulbil-bearing one that has taken over the back hillside. I think it's yellowish inside, with purple-tinged skin. I haven't tasted it in a while, but I'm growing one in a tub, so I will soon.

There's loads of yam varieties. The local Ag. Research Station has many that I don't. I can't wait to pay them a visit. I hope to come back with a few esculentas and some of the rarer Guinea types.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 09:20:25 AM »
Thank you very much my friend, i learn a lot with you!  ;D