Author Topic: Recommendations on growing Mammea Americana (Mamey Apple)  (Read 3485 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Recommendations on growing Mammea Americana (Mamey Apple)
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »
There’s not much info on growing this species online, other than general info. I’m working on grabbing a tree now and want to ensure I’m not missing something. I know they tend to grow fast and large and that most of the grafted trees are hermaphroditic, but I’d like some information on cultivars, growing experiences in south Florida, and anything else unique to this tree. I know Fairchild has undertaken and extensive breeding program to determine superior cultivars, but nobody ever calls me back or can answer any of my questions. Thanks!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations on growing Mammea Americana (Mamey Apple)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:01:41 PM »
Fairchild Farms lost a lot of their trees in that cold we had a few years back (2011?), and Dr Richard Campbell's interest in mammea selection seems to have waned heavily since then.

The trees are actually slow growers, and they can take many years to begin production (even when grafted). They will eventually become large trees, but they start off really slowly. The fruit is quite good in my opinion. The "tropical apricot" moniker adequately describes the flavor.

It is cold sensitive, and many trees in the redlands were either killed or set back significantly in the freezes that hit in 2010 - 2011.

Fairchild Farms should still have budwood from selected cultivars. Lara Farms also has a few trees planted out and may have some seedlings and / or grafted trees for sale.
Jeff  :-)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 10:30:34 PM »
Ok, I was not familiar with their cold sensitivity. Are they any more cold sensitive than A traditional Mamey Sapote? Lara is right in my area so maybe I’ll check them out this week and bend their ear.  Thanks CM !

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:20 AM »
I have a seedling that's about two years old. I thought it had died the winter i received it but it came back and is now, a healthy 2 ft. tree that i hope to put in the ground. I believe the initial mix was a bit to soggy so I put it into  2 gal. with MicroKote painted on the inside and the tree has put on quite a bit of growth. My tree has been fine down to 40 degrees unprotected. Chris
-Chris

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »
I think they are slightly more cold sensitive than mamey sapote. Julian or Pablo Lara will give you good info.

Ok, I was not familiar with their cold sensitivity. Are they any more cold sensitive than A traditional Mamey Sapote? Lara is right in my area so maybe I’ll check them out this week and bend their ear.  Thanks CM !

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 04:29:31 PM »
I do have mammea americana (Mamey Apple), known in Brazil as Abricó do Pará, trees in my garden. They are  Dioecious. Seedlings sprout during the rainy season when ripe fruits fall in the ground. They take 6-8 years to bear fruit.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
I think they are slightly more cold sensitive than mamey sapote. Julian or Pablo Lara will give you good info.

Thanks again Jeff, I picked up a beautiful 7 gallon today from Lara. They had them in the hoop house along with their fresh grafts. I got a really nice 5/6 footer with nice branching.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
Score! They do take several years to begin production, and try to plant in a cold protected area (south side of a structure).

Thanks again Jeff, I picked up a beautiful 7 gallon today from Lara. They had them in the hoop house along with their fresh grafts. I got a really nice 5/6 footer with nice branching.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 06:00:26 PM »
Score! They do take several years to begin production, and try to plant in a cold protected area (south side of a structure).

Got it. Thanks!

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »
I ate my first Mammea Americana today.  I'd have to say its up there with my favorite tropical fruit.  It certainly does taste like apricot.  The one I had was juicier than some of the ones I've seen online and it only had one large seed.  I'm very thankful I planted a few grafted trees on my property. It is an excellent, and quite different fruit.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
Mammea in Dec? That's odd. I've heard of cultivars which bear over the winter but didn't know they were available in FL.

Yah, the fruit is quite good. Underrated probably because its bearing season coincides with mango. An off season crop would be very appreciated.

I ate my first Mammea Americana today.  I'd have to say its up there with my favorite tropical fruit.  It certainly does taste like apricot.  The one I had was juicier than some of the ones I've seen online and it only had one large seed.  I'm very thankful I planted a few grafted trees on my property. It is an excellent, and quite different fruit.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 03:09:59 PM »
Mammea in Dec? That's odd. I've heard of cultivars which bear over the winter but didn't know they were available in FL.

Yah, the fruit is quite good. Underrated probably because its bearing season coincides with mango. An off season crop would be very appreciated.

Yeah, the tree I got them from had shed a few over the past few days, so they are coming to the end of their season. It's funny, when I first found the tree all of the other trees I know of had already finished producing, but this one had tiny little fruits on it just starting out.  So I did some research and found online that it states the season from June to February.  It seems akin to avocados, where the season is quite long depending on the cultivar.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »
Even though you bought a grafted plant, don't you still need a plant of opposite sex, or did you mean that the plant has both sexes due to having grafted the missing sex onto a tree?
Jaime

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 04:34:18 PM »
The grafted versions available locallly are hermaphroditic. They produce flowers of both sexes and self pollinate. I have multiple trees planted out anyhow, so I shouldn’t have any problems with fruit set

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 11:16:38 PM »
My seedling mammea americana has finally flowered after 8 years. I am trying to figure out if this is a male for female flower or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
Sam

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2023, 02:42:30 PM »

My tree is finally starting to flower.
Looks like hermaphrodite flowers.
I grafted it from Jeff's tree, suppose to be jinotepe 2, last I heard was that it may have been mislabeled but I haven't heard updates from Jeff in a while.

Concerning season, the el tesoro from Lara was ready in December