Author Topic: Bruno is a good Canistel  (Read 2418 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Bruno is a good Canistel
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:13:14 PM »

I have eaten some very ordinary canistels before and often they are the ones that look best on the outside. Those with moist flesh all the way to the skin, have bright orange/yellow flesh and have a pleasant rich fruity (not dry sweet potato) taste suit me. There is a big difference between good and bad canistels and I think Bruno has the best flavour and texture of any I have tried, The one in the pic has 4 seeds and 2 or 3 is more the usual number.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Bruno is a good Canistel
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:26:19 PM »
I like canistel a lot.  Apart from some seedlings we have in production one that I think is called Trompo.  We call it 'cheesecake fruit'.  It’d be nice to try Bruno.
Peter

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 11:10:36 PM »
Nice picture Mike, how do you compare with Ross Sapote..
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 02:20:11 AM »
Raul ross sapote is pretty good and I have the trees next to each other. Bruno is a little more moist and sweeter.I would say both are of equal quality.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »
I found not info about this variety aside from this topic and a picture from you in another one. Could you tell us a little more about it, Mike? It's the first time I hear of a variety matching Ross, is really interesting.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:17:07 PM by Jose Spain »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
We are in canistel season Trompo is an excellent large variety best smoothie and ice cream beat lucuma and Mamey hands down

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 05:07:55 PM »
Mike, if a self addressed express post satchel with some buddy tape showed up at your place next summer, would you be willing to clip a few scions?

Canistel is starting up here as well. My Lyndal is holding fruit but still very immature. Haven’t yet tried it so hopefully it’s not disappointing. The best one I’ve run into down here is a seedling in one of my clients yards. He planted 4 seeds from a heart shaped fruit. 2 trees ended up heart shaped with 4 seeds per fruit like the parent, one gives long fruits with one or two seeds and the fourth one didn’t make it. The long fruited tree is pretty good, really moist and fruity. Downside is the fruit is fragile.

1. Cut fruit 2. Whole fruit 3. Added this one to the canistel espalier 4. Canistel espalier 5. Lyndal fruit forming.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »
I had one of these today. Truly a great canistel. I actually had two (sent down by Steve). The first one i had a few days ago. It was small and to be honest was fairly average. I was a non believer at that point. I left the second, larger fruit a few days as it wasn't yet ripe. Well I had it today, awesome! Moister than other canistel I have had which is what I think makes the difference for me.

I am going to have to get this variety :) I have asked Steve to graft one if he can.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:32:21 AM »
I had one of these today. Truly a great canistel. I actually had two (sent down by Steve). The first one i had a few days ago. It was small and to be honest was fairly average. I was a non believer at that point. I left the second, larger fruit a few days as it wasn't yet ripe. Well I had it today, awesome! Moister than other canistel I have had which is what I think makes the difference for me.

I am going to have to get this variety :) I have asked Steve to graft one if he can.

which variety was it?
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 04:33:53 AM »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 05:06:01 AM »
They weren't big plump fruit and the first one was perhaps picked too early. I have found most of the named varieties aren't quite up to scratch. I have recently tried another very good variety of unknown variety that would give Bruno a run for its money.

Once again it is moist with a rich flavour.I could get a few scion bits your way e.p.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »

Here is a look at a Bruno Canistel on the tree.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »
Hey Mike, you had shared seeds from a moist canistel a few years back.  I don't know if you would recall now if those were from Bruno or another moist one?  I've got a couple from you planted out that were a little slow starting but finally seem to be starting to grow.  I've still got a few years before fruiting but I hope that they will elevate my opinion of canistel -- I haven't encountered any moist ones here yet.

John

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
Looks delicious!