Author Topic: Growing Trees Without Staking  (Read 1717 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Growing Trees Without Staking
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
Can you leave tree seedlings in containers too long? Yes, and they will start to get tall and spindly due to restriction of the roots as they run out of space to grow. You must pay attention to timing relative to tree growth.  Once trees in containers, any containers, reach the sidewalls and branch or begin to  circle space for further root development becomes limiting, it is like squeezing tooth paste out of the tube, the growth is straight up and there is no way to get it back into the tube.  ALWAYS leave the lower limbs on the young tree trunk as long as practical.  Research has shown that leaves on the lower trunk contribute most to the development of trunk diameter, strength and root growth.  The sugars manufactured by the leaves in the upper part of the tree stay in the upper tree plus develop buds for the next flush of growth and for flower and fruit development.  Trees properly grown will have a trunk taper like a good deep sea fishing rod.  You will not get such trunk development without leaving on the lower limbs AND allowing them sufficient light and space to function. Tree height is not the criteria to use when evaluating young tree quality. Trunk diameter or taper is far more important.  Plus tall slender trees always have poor root systems, because roots cannot grow without energy and the energy  for their growth comes from the lower limbs. (Taken from "Plant Production In Containers-II" by Carl Whitcomb, Ph.D.)
Millet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Trees Without Staking
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
The second most import method of insuring that a young seedling tree develops a strong trunk and will not require a stake to hold it up is provided free by Mother Nature.  Just as humans use resistance training to build strength, so do plants.  The flicking back and forth in resistance against the wind is natures method of building trunk diameter and trunk strength.  The time to place a young citrus seedling tree in full light and wind is at 2 inches of height. For those living in cold locations of the country use a fan.  I have five large box fans inside of the greenhouse constantly moving the air.  Not one of my trees require a stake to hold the tree up.  I constantly see pictures on citrus forums of tall slender weak citrus trees tied to support stakes to keep keep the tree erect, this should never happen. - Millet

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »
Most large nurseries grow a single trunk tree that is staked. They push them so they have to be staked.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:07 AM »
Great read and makes sense. I noticed one of my trees grew tall and flopped over, I did not stake it up because I wanted it to push growth from buds lower in the tree. And with this seasons flush it has begun to push new growth from buds a few inches above the ground where the tree begins to bend under its own weight. I will have to repot this tree very soon. Good information thanks for the good read Millet

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
Fantastic information there Millet........unfortunately a lot of my trees are staked......Can it be corrected ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk