Author Topic: How To Improve Jujube Fruit Size?  (Read 1453 times)

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
How To Improve Jujube Fruit Size?
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:53:04 AM »
My "Thai Giant" Indian jujube trees are producing very small fruit this year. They are not much bigger than large olives. While my jujubes typically aren't huge, this year's crop is very disappointing. The trees seem healthy and are aggressively pruned back every summer.
    Is there anything that can be done to encourage these trees to produce larger fruit?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: How To Improve Jujube Fruit Size?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:44:26 AM »
Maybe thinning if fruit set is too heavy.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »
Might need fertilization

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »
Yah, check fertilization.
Jeff  :-)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »
My "Thai Giant" Indian jujube trees are producing very small fruit this year. They are not much bigger than large olives. While my jujubes typically aren't huge, this year's crop is very disappointing. The trees seem healthy and are aggressively pruned back every summer.
    Is there anything that can be done to encourage these trees to produce larger fruit?

Aggressively pruned back? I bought the house with a giant Jujube on the land -- the trunk now is around 16" dia and my estimate it is over 60 yrs old. I never prune it and every year I collected 40 lbs + dried fruits even thought I let the migratory song spiral birds filling up their tanks before making long winter trip to south. Why prune?

The only issue with this tree is the thorny suckers popping up. I guess it is a grafted tree and it has no thorns above the graft line.

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
Yah, check fertilization.

Aggressively pruned back? I bought the house with a giant Jujube on the land -- the trunk now is around 16" dia and my estimate it is over 60 yrs old. I never prune it and every year I collected 40 lbs + dried fruits even thought I let the migratory song spiral birds filling up their tanks before making long winter trip to south. Why prune?

The only issue with this tree is the thorny suckers popping up. I guess it is a grafted tree and it has no thorns above the graft line.
I'm in Southwest Florida and the only jujube which does well here is the Thai Giant, a variety of Indian jujube. What variety of tree are you talking about?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »
Here’s a thread that talks about increasing the quality of fruit.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8097.0

Here are some of my fruit grown using the technique described in the thread above
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6538.msg85480#msg85480

And a little bit of data that shows specific foliar sprays can increase fruit quality, including fruit size for Mangos
http://scihub.org/ABJNA/PDF/2010/3/1-3-421-429.pdf

Sometimes trees are mislabeled but if you are sure genetics is not the reason for the small fruit and you have ruled out nutrition( fertilization), water has a significant role in increasing fruit size.

Sometimes when you push for larger fruit, you will have issues such as cracked fruit or watering down the flavor of the fruit.

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
I have no idea what variety I have. Not an expert on these but really like to eat the dried fruit as snack , like palm date. It is a very hardwood tree with cracked wrinkle bark, 25 or 30ft tall.