Author Topic: Avocado boron deficiency?  (Read 700 times)

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
Avocado boron deficiency?
« on: October 14, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »
I originally suspected that the new, deformed growth displayed by a couple of my young avocado trees (Wurtz and a Winter Mexican) in my yard was due to a lack of calcium, but now I’m suspecting a boron deficiency. My soil is very sandy though I’ve been mulching and working towards a richer topsoil around these trees since they were planted almost 2 years ago. The trees still look predominantly healthy, but symptoms are becoming more obvious during this late year flush of growth. Both calcium and boron are apparently highly leachable so I’m fairly confident I’ve narrowed it down to either-or. I haven’t been able to fertilize for much of the rainy season so that likely plays a role.

Along with mulch and compost I normally use sunniland 6-4-6. I also have some calcium nitrate on hand which I’m fairly comfortable with using and have done so in the past. The sunniland analysis states a .02% of boron. Is getting back to a regular fertilizing schedule enough to knock away these leaf symptoms? Or would a quick fix of boron (if it is boron that’s needed) be faster? I figure I can pick up some regular 11% borax from the hardware store, but am curious on how to properly dose these small trees without inducing toxicity. All I have are gallon garden sprayers.

WURTZ:

WINTER MEXICAN:

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado boron deficiency?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:00:46 PM »
You might try a soil drench or lef spray with a micronutrient mix that contains everything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk