Author Topic: Micro sprinkler set up for 2 year avocado trees  (Read 6936 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Micro sprinkler set up for 2 year avocado trees
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »
The ones ricshaw posted appears to be a sprayer not a spinner, so the distance putting water out seems like not far enough i looking mostly for a range of 4 foot circle up to 10 to 12 foot circle as trees get alot bigger. I want large water droplets like brad talked about not a fine mist or even heavy mist.

As the tree grows I add more micro sprayers. I have tried the spinning sprayers... they do not give me the control I want.

2 - 4 micro sprayers should cover 4 - 12 foot circle.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 12:45:59 PM by ricshaw »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
here is a pic of the Antelco rotor spray chart. At 15 psi you get 0-22 feet diameter with a maximum water flow of 22 gallons/hour. Note that the diameter is rated at .65 ft. above ground, which is using the short stakes connected to tubings with an adaper fitting plugged in to the tubing. This means 4 parts, adapter, small tubing, stake and rotorsprayer.
If you get a clog there are multiple places to disassemble.  The way I installed, there are 3 parts, riser, rotor, wire stake. I get clogs at the rotor and less commonly where the riser plugs into tubing. If I find a clog I unscrew the rotor. Usually it has an ant or debris and can be poked clear. I carry a 2 ft length of small diameter wire which can unclog the rotor and, if needed, just insert down the straight riser to the plug-in point to unclog, it is a striaght shot down with no further assembly. When you introduce the small flex tubing and stake there are several other points to clog and disassemble.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2019, 02:18:59 PM »
The ones ricshaw posted appears to be a sprayer not a spinner, so the distance putting water out seems like not far enough i looking mostly for a range of 4 foot circle up to 10 to 12 foot circle as trees get alot bigger. I want large water droplets like brad talked about not a fine mist or even heavy mist.

As the tree grows I add more micro sprayers. I have tried the spinning sprayers... they do not give me the control I want.

2 - 4 micro sprayers should cover 4 - 12 foot circle.

I like those sprinklers you use too.  Im using them on a couple hundred trees.  But I put them on a 1/2" pvc riser and an adapter to micro sprinkler thread and just put the tips on.  This way I can swap them out for a larger pattern spinner in the future if necessay.  If you are planting out a lot of trees its good to make things modular in case you want to tweek it later. 

The other thing about this setup is theres no 1/4" poly to clog.  If you have hard water it can deposit in the small tubes and cause issues over time.  If these clog, I just unscrew the tips and blow them out and am back in business quickly.  With this setup only the emitter can clog. I dont wven need a poker to clear them usually just unscrew them while water is running and push them against the stream of water that is shooting from the black adapter and let it squirt out the blockage.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:29:49 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 08:29:59 AM »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
This is one has the adjuster built in.  Check out all the antelco products, they make nice stuff.

https://www.dripdepot.com/item/antelco-360-degree-adjustable-spinner-on-10-32-threads?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrrXtBRCKARIsAMbU6bE63sMDqCUVPhZA7tAAfndGq6pMTG950Sk7EnzGGRApGlx5J_lKbokaAuU4EALw_wcB

I couldn't find this adjustable kind myself, there is another choice from different brand, but I also prefer Antelco's better, just ordered a bunch, thanks for sharing the link, Brad!
Sam

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
Greenhouses mainly for propagation a few non cold hardy in greehouses, likely have under 300 avo trees depends if i buy more land,or not....

Other post good point on spinners getting better distance if using 18 inch or even higher  and im thinking i can i use a reflector if i dont want water hitting trunk for younger trees, i might copy what Greg A. does on the youtube video he put up.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
For my main line i planed to bury white pvc but  i have to plan to get smaller and smaller till down to 1/4 in flex tubing feeding each spinner.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
This is one has the adjuster built in.  Check out all the antelco products, they make nice stuff.

https://www.dripdepot.com/item/antelco-360-degree-adjustable-spinner-on-10-32-threads?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrrXtBRCKARIsAMbU6bE63sMDqCUVPhZA7tAAfndGq6pMTG950Sk7EnzGGRApGlx5J_lKbokaAuU4EALw_wcB

I couldn't find this adjustable kind myself, there is another choice from different brand, but I also prefer Antelco's better, just ordered a bunch, thanks for sharing the link, Brad!

here they have it https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/antelco-0-26-gph-rotor-spray-10-32-a20205

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2019, 02:39:45 PM »
Thanks Behl, I noticed that too, but Drip depot’s free shipping minimum is $49 compared to $149 at Sprinkler Warehouse, as a small backyard grower the Drip depot serves me better...
Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
Thanks Behl, I noticed that too, but Drip depot’s free shipping minimum is $49 compared to $149 at Sprinkler Warehouse, as a small backyard grower the Drip depot serves me better...

didn't realize that. some of the items are cheaper at Sprinkler warehouse, but again if its not $149 then that $15 shipping sucks

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »
So i'm following your guidance Mark and Spaugh. With regard to the pump and sprinklers, the Grundfos constant pressure controller goes down to 40psi. There are micro sprinkler heads that will function at 40psi (not all though). Do you recommend using those heads (like this? https://www.irrigationking.com/micro-sprinkler-head-40-lph.html) or putting in pressure regulators at each row? I guess that might depend on the elevation change?
Shane

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »
Shane, you can just leave the pressure set at 60 psi or whatever you want to have good pressure on your hose bibs and shower or whatever.  Then on your irrigation lines just use adjustable flow valves(like rainbird pro) to lower the pressure/flow on the heads.  No need to have the entire system lower pressure or use pressure regulators. 

Thats what I do for mine, just turn down the flow on a particular station if its too high.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:36:12 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2020, 02:03:15 PM »
Many more hours of research later...I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the constant pressure pumps (SQE). Mainly that when they work, they work great, but when they fail they fail very badly.

Couple people are promoting Cycle Stop Valves (CSV) as a better option compared to either the constant pressure pump or traditional large tank setup. As far as i can tell it simply regulates the pressure output of a constantly running pump. With a small tank and switch set to e.g. 40-60psi, when the tank drains down to 40psi the pump turns on and assuming the CSV then is set at say 50psi, the pump just keeps going until your turn your water off. No cycling.

Anyone have any experience with this setup? Seems the most trouble free option of the three.

Shane
Shane

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
I'm planning on making 6 pvc pipe circles (octagons actually) for 6 mangos.  Wasn't considering watering leaves.  Should I?
Pvc pipe 100' drilled with smallest bit every 6" i made for 4 dozen Areca palms & worked quite well this past dry season.  Water squirts up 4" towards trees.  I sprayed the leaves maybe once per week.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:39:06 PM by EddieF »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »
Many more hours of research later...I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the constant pressure pumps (SQE). Mainly that when they work, they work great, but when they fail they fail very badly.

Couple people are promoting Cycle Stop Valves (CSV) as a better option compared to either the constant pressure pump or traditional large tank setup. As far as i can tell it simply regulates the pressure output of a constantly running pump. With a small tank and switch set to e.g. 40-60psi, when the tank drains down to 40psi the pump turns on and assuming the CSV then is set at say 50psi, the pump just keeps going until your turn your water off. No cycling.

Anyone have any experience with this setup? Seems the most trouble free option of the three.

Shane

I wouldn't use a CSV. It's like driving your car with your accelerator down to the metal while tweeking the ride with the brake.  There's a fellow on this site that really pushes them, because he sells them too.  https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/plumbing-forum-professional-diy-advice.6/

I set up my 2 miles of 1/2" poly irrigation with 2 zones.  The Grundfos pump was so powerful that even with 1 mile at a time running my PSI would stay at 90 or so.  I inserted an in line limit valve which brought it down to 60 PSI. They come in different PSI sizes.  This gives you more latitude regarding your field hardware.

I also used pressure compensating emitters.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »

I bet that's coming from the that CSV pusher at the link I gave you.  Pure bullshit.  I pulled this 1 HP Grundfos pump about 5 months ago ONLY because it was 15 years old.  Still worked fine.  I went from a 1 HP to a 3/4 HP SQE Grundfos and really can't tell the difference in flow rates.  Also wanted to switch out the galvanized pipe couplers to stainless steel.  Glad I did as the couplers were rusting giving the PVC pipes a red color. S/S couplers were cheap too - $14 each.

Not sure about "they fail badly" comment.  They either work or they don't.  What you're getting with a Grundfos is a diagnostics LED readout of any issues you might have at the console.  The LED light if on has a script by it telling you what you need to check in case you don't get water. 

Case in point.... came home from a shopping trip and had no water a while back.  Diagnostics on the console said "no contact with pump".  Well, when I replaced the SQE console a while back I didn't shove the pump wires into the terminal far enough OR cinch down on the terminal with a screwdriver enough.  Took me all of 5 seconds to fix. 

I now have a working spare SQE console and pump.  Nice to have spare parts sitting around for the house just in case.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:48:04 AM by Mark in Texas »

Jane45

• Dallas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2020, 05:14:27 AM »
spam
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:21:18 AM by JakeFruit »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2020, 11:15:31 AM »
I see a lot of complaints about the unexpected failure of these systems. Do you guys secure somehow these systems? Do you buy all this stuff insured? I ask because being on a budget, I am afraid to risk buying something which will stop working after a short period. My brother is a plumber and he always used to secure his work at generalliabilityinsure. Diving more into this subject, do you use insurance in your work? I am new to this niche, so knowledge from colleagues with more experience would be helpful)

This post looks like a spam bot
Brad Spaugh

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »
I see a lot of complaints about the unexpected failure of these systems. Do you guys secure somehow these systems? Do you buy all this stuff insured? I ask because being on a budget, I am afraid to risk buying something which will stop working after a short period. My brother is a plumber and he always used to secure his work at generalliabilityinsure. Diving more into this subject, do you use insurance in your work? I am new to this niche, so knowledge from colleagues with more experience would be helpful)

I’m not sure if it’s a bot or if it’s an actual person. This post reads like it was written by a bot but the first post by the member looks like it was written by an actual person.

What I’m starting to think is that these members have a real person open the account and then a makes an actual post and then they have bots take over from there. The first few posts don’t have any links but then all the posts they make start having links. I’ll try to remember to keep an eye on this members posts.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2020, 11:47:39 AM »
haha we need to start insuring our irrigation systems. why not insure the trees too!

Does this guy offer affordable home insurance too? I could sure use some of that right now. Hurricane insurance is absolutely bonkers here in Broward right now... the worst I've seen it in 15+ years.
Jeff  :-)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »
Fire insurance is crazy here.  My neighbors lost some mature olive trees in a fire back in 2003 and their insurance actually paid them a couple grand per tree!

When we first moved in we had a 1 year coverage policy that came with the house for any appliances that broke or whatever went wrong for 1 year.  The well pipe 600ft down developed a hole and the insurance did cover the cost of pulling 650ft of pipe out and installing a few new sections of pipe at the bottom plus a new well pump while they were in there.  It was ~2000$ I disnt have to cough up and the well is still going strong 6 years and 3 million gallons later. 
Brad Spaugh

Jane45

• Dallas
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »

Sorry, I was just asking)

Jane45

• Dallas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »
haha we need to start insuring our irrigation systems. why not insure the trees too!

Does this guy offer affordable home insurance too? I could sure use some of that right now. Hurricane insurance is absolutely bonkers here in Broward right now... the worst I've seen it in 15+ years.
Actually, after 2020 I would ensure everything :D just in case of some unexpected snow or whatever

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
For us personal fruit tree growers (under 1/2 acre). Is it not a good idea to use a high quality 1/2" drip line for the trees? I currently tie in most of my trees directly from 3/4" pvc to a 1/2" Netafim pressure compensating drip line that circles the trees to about a 4 ft. Diameter around the tree.

For the past year it has been working well on smaller trees but should one think about micro sprinkler as the trees get larger? Or, can the drip lines efficiently sustain the trees for years to come?

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2021, 10:47:27 PM »
As far as avos go I think full circles are the best not a drip system, and my lot size is only 5 acres, I guess most micro spinners are designed to run on 10 to 15 psi so I don't know if I'm better off to have regular to lower pressure to a few rows or what. Im wanting it fairly  automatic with less manual labor to adjust or turn down pressure to each row, I can always change out micro heads if trees getting too little water,  I've been buying from irrigation king but does the other online company have more to choose from ?