Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 23907 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2021, 10:51:11 PM »
No they just bloom when they are large enough.  They're in my greenhouse during winter so that speeds it up.
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2021, 02:49:27 PM »
I kept one of my pineapples in a grow bag and inside a ceramic pot on the patio over winter.  I saw something peaking up from the inside, and upon investigation learned that there isn't.. mushroom.. to grow. 

Laugh.  It's funny.   :P

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
Harvested my first malaysian Paun.  It weighs 7 pounds.  Havent cut it up yet.  This was ripened through winter and can maybe get larger if it flowers in spring and ripens during summer.

How was the flavor?
Nate

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2021, 05:39:51 PM »
Flavor was really good.  This pineapple is a winner.  Theres nothing bad about it, smooth leaves that don't sunburn, strong plant, big fruit, excellent flavor. 

I'm removing a few types from my collection and keeping this one and the white jades.  Those are my current top 2 varieties and I've been propagating those mostly. 
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »
I was visiting Brad’s farm this spring when his Paun was ripening.  The plant was huge and beautiful and the fruit smelled amazing.  His pineapple collection is impressive, plants are all huge, healthy, and very ornamental even without fruits.  Lucky to have him as a source for so many great plants and rare genetics.

Janet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2021, 01:01:40 AM »
This one is called "sawit" from malaysia.  Its serrated, and hardy.  The fruit was really good.  Brix was 17 and my wife said it may have been the best tasting one we have grown.  We have tried a lot of really good pineapples.  I thought it was good maybe not the best but for serrated types, this would be my favorite so far.  It has a very slight coconut flavor on top of sub acid pineapple flavor.  Very low acid.  The fruit was medium to small size though.  I guess its some type of large queen variant based on looks. 

Ill keep a couple of these going but Im pretty much only propogating the white jades and Pauns now.  Those are the best all around package.  Tough plants, big tastey fruit, no serrated leaves...

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 01:09:08 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2021, 01:11:40 AM »
This ones a josepine from malaysia.  Its still a few months away but Ive got a few of these that are this stage.  The plant isnt that hardy and the fruit look small but the colors are nice.  Its slightly serrated and supposed to have good brix.  We'll see how it tuens out in a few months. 

Brad Spaugh

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2021, 06:01:13 PM »
This ones a josepine from malaysia.  Its still a few months away but Ive got a few of these that are this stage.  The plant isnt that hardy and the fruit look small but the colors are nice.  Its slightly serrated and supposed to have good brix.  We'll see how it tuens out in a few months. 

Have you tried Natal queen already before if you haven't you really should they are worth growing i just had 6 of them ripen
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2021, 06:06:06 PM »
I have natal queen, cant remember if we have had the fruit yet or not.  I think this sawit is pretty much the same thing.  I have a natal queen fruit on a plant now.  The problem with these is they cut the hell out of your arms when you work with it and the fruits arent that big.  But they do taste good and grow well. 
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »
When would you all recommend up-potting pineapples?  Most of mine are either twist offs from costco or kauai sugarloaf in small pots (<1 gal) that started various times in the last 12 months.  I have a few slips from Brad, too.  I'm located coastal southern california.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2021, 11:49:56 AM »
read the first post, theres pics of up potting.
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2021, 04:49:53 PM »
I missed that, despite having read this thread dozens of times.  Looks like time of year doesn't matter.  I have a project for next weekend then :)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2021, 05:15:58 PM »
i usually just tip them over and lift the pot off and check the roots and if they are showing its time to up pot.
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2021, 07:52:26 AM »
I do wish I had room for a greenhouse, but until I relocate somewhere, outdoors it is.  I might take a few of the uniquer varieties indoors.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2021, 10:52:07 AM »
Hey Brad...
Just curious - Any experience trimming the leaves back to make them more compact?
Mine are growing in pots and getting pretty wide and sharp!
I though I might be able to trim them back about 50% in length so they will fit better in my greenhouse for the Winter.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!

Kevin

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2021, 12:05:46 PM »
It wont kill it but Id guess smaller fruit will be the end result. 
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »
Can a young 4-6 months old pineapple plant growing from slip or twist top be bare-rooted?  I ask this because somehow some clover got into the pot and it keeps coming back since I can't get all the roots out.  The pineapples that have this are due for transplant now, roots sticking out the bottom :)  They seem pretty hardy but I wanted to check first before doing this.  Thanks.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2021, 09:20:48 PM »
Can a young 4-6 months old pineapple plant growing from slip or twist top be bare-rooted?  I ask this because somehow some clover got into the pot and it keeps coming back since I can't get all the roots out.  The pineapples that have this are due for transplant now, roots sticking out the bottom :)  They seem pretty hardy but I wanted to check first before doing this.  Thanks.

Yes, you can uproot it without hurting it. Pineapples are very tough. I have transplanted them at almost every stage of development. The only time I would not recommend transplanting them is just prior to or durring the bloom and fruit cycle. The plant survives, but the energy that would have gone to the fruit goes into the roots and the pineapple ends up being pretty small.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2021, 03:38:41 PM »
Brad,
Here's video of my first bloom:

https://youtu.be/WxgUxTIhJKA

Kevin

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »
Looks beautiful.  Is that a MD2?  It looks really pristine.  Those ones get hammered from the heat and low humidity here.
Brad Spaugh

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2021, 04:28:07 PM »
Grocery store pineapple??? Don't know more than that.
Something we have in abundance here... Heat AND Humidity.
Thanks!

Kevin

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2021, 07:15:55 PM »
Yeah the store ones are MD2, they called it del monte gold or something similar. 
Brad Spaugh

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »
I remember now... that's correct.

Kevin

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »
News. I will be getting a new variety of pineapple soon called Antigua Black pineapple I will be getting some slips soon can't wait and try and grow them and see how they turn out
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

ntpphong

• SOCAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2021, 03:46:39 AM »
Here is my white jade that I bought from spaugh two years ago. One is finally fruiting and the other one was over watered, so it would not fruit but gave me multiple shoots. The 5 with burnt leaves are some supersweet ones I happened to see at costco, supposedly Maui Gold. Very excited to try out the White Jade for the first time.