Author Topic: Eugenia stipiitata / Araçá-boi – bloom & fruiting season . . . .  (Read 1086 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I got a Eugenia stipitata last year from TT.  It grew well 'til this past cold season then got some leaf burn and lost the first few buds it was starting.

I understood that this species is supposed to bloom year round as long as it remains warm.  Now that it is warm again it's growing well but so far no buds or blooms.

To encourage blooming does this species benefit from fertilizing?  Or extra water?  Or a drying off period?  Or maybe it's just seasonal after all.

Anyone on here who's growing this species:  How do you get yours to bloom and set fruit for you?

Mine's in a 7-gallon pot and in mostly full sun.  Gets plenty of water.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
I grow it in Fort Lauderdale. I use a thick layer of mulch. It is grounded and it took 6 years to produce fruits.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Wonderfruit,

So.... Did you start yours from seed or as a seedling (how tall)?

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:23:26 PM by Epicatt2 »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Araza has peak seasons and times with little to no fruit. I have about 40 araza trees and, mostly, I can find some fruit at almost any time. With a single tree perhaps not. Araza seems to tolerate some dry better than some others. Aside from mulch we don’t give it anything. The temperature never goes below high 60’sF or above about 86.
Peter

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
Not to steer away from original topic, but what's the shade tolerance on these?  I know a lot of eugenias can handle and fruit in decent shade.  What difference has anyone found with fruiting under various shade conditions?

JF Paso

• Fl 9b
    • View Profile
10a central Florida.  Mine seems to do better this time of year out of full sun.  I keep it potted under the outer most branches of a shade tree.  Last year when it was smaller, it did well under shade cloth.  It will slow down if it dries out in this warm weather.  Also responds well to foliar feeding at least once a week.  It is flushing out and flowering since up potting.  In cooler weather I do not feed and only water occasionally.  For me, so far so good

wonderfruit

• View Profile
I started from seed and it is now six feet
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Soldier

• Czech Repuplic
    • View Profile
    • Tropické rostliny
I'm sorry I know it doesn't belong here but I've been looking for a plant or seeds for a long time, so if anyone had it I'd be grateful. I can also exchange it for something  Thank you

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
10a central Florida.  Mine seems to do better this time of year out of full sun.  I keep it potted under the outer most branches of a shade tree.  Last year when it was smaller, it did well under shade cloth.  It will slow down if it dries out in this warm weather.  Also responds well to foliar feeding at least once a week.  It is flushing out and flowering since up potting.  In cooler weather I do not feed and only water occasionally.  For me, so far so good

Mine is very thick and bushy, about four feet tall, and flushing lots of new leaves.  It's in the sun and receives regular watering every couple days plus I run a mister in the area for part of the hottest days.

Sounds like it might like a bit more fertiizer than I'm giviing it, though.  Will try that and see how it responds.  (Maybe it would like some citrus fertilizer with minors.)

Thanx, Everyone, for the observations and suggestions.

Paul M.
==

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Following along as well.

Had a tree that was doing well, fruited, and then slowly deteoriated and died after planting in ground. Not sure, but do not think it tolerated alkaline soil well.

Growing another tree, still in a pot. Doing well and currently flowering, no fruit yet.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Eugenia stipiitata / Araçá-boi – bloom & fruiting season . . . .
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 10:31:15 PM »
Mine tolerate shade.  They were originally planted as an intercrop between larger trees planted at 35'.  Now those trees have grown into their space with some araza underneath them and we still get fruit.
Soil ph is 6.0
Peter

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »
Following along as well.

Had a tree that was doing well, fruited, and then slowly deteoriated and died after planting in ground. Not sure, but do not think it tolerated alkaline soil well.

Growing another tree, still in a pot. Doing well and currently flowering, no fruit yet.

I’m thinking the same- they don’t like my alkaline soil.  I have a small one in the ground and it has been barely hanging on for over a year, I should probably dig it out and pot it up.

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
Mine is growing well in Fort Lauderdale. In soil covered with one feet tall mulch
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

kmwilli6

• USA, FL, Tampa, 9
    • View Profile
    • Real Sweet Farms
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 10:52:20 AM »
I have a grafted one that flowered this past winter, but none of the fruits made it. Now its growing again but no flowers as of yet.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »
Mine is growing well in Fort Lauderdale. In soil covered with one feet tall mulch

do you know the ph of your soil?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk