Author Topic: White Sapote: USDA and SES 2  (Read 3280 times)

Alisha

• US, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
    • Alisha's Backyard Nursery
White Sapote: USDA and SES 2
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:58 PM »
I took a road trip to Excalibur Fruit Trees today and grabbed some white sapote trees tagged USDA and SES 2. I can't find much info on these varieties but was told they are very good tasting by Mike. My main concern is viable pollen since I have read that some cultivars are sterile. Does anyone have experience with these types?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: White Sapote: USDA and SES 2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:25:46 PM »
Fruit and Spice Park in Miami has a tree that I eat fruit off of every year; SES 2 that is. It’s more like a big bush, but it produces around 200-300 fruit per year I’d say. It’s a good tasting fruit, but very small. The average size is slightly slightly larger than a golf ball.  I’m still on the fence about picking one up, as I’ve heard other varieties are better tasting and larger.  But you won’t be disappointed.  No clue on USDA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »
The nice thing about ses2 is that the tree is very slow growing -- which is a good thing in a white sapote, as they can grow quite rapidly here. I remember the flavor being good.
Jeff  :-)

Alisha

• US, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:50:07 AM »
Good to know the SES 2 produces well and is compact! I don't have an abundance of space in my backyard so that's helpful. They are still pretty small right now so I'm going to keep up potting them until they are a bit bigger. I'm wanting to get two more varieties to fill out the area, any suggestions on which cultivars I should keep an eye out for?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
Good to know the SES 2 produces well and is compact! I don't have an abundance of space in my backyard so that's helpful. They are still pretty small right now so I'm going to keep up potting them until they are a bit bigger. I'm wanting to get two more varieties to fill out the area, any suggestions on which cultivars I should keep an eye out for?

I'm going with a second Redland tree and a Younghans (or Younghans Gold) variety....I've heard that they are 2 of the best for South Florida.  I also have heard that Smathers and Florida Suebelle are excellent as well.  I've done quite a bit of research in this area because I've been planning on adding some more for a while.  If I knew they grew so darn well down here in my area, I would have planted them years ago.  I was always under the impression that they struggled down here but after seeing several LARGE established trees at Fruit and Spice Park, coupled with how well my current trees are growing, I'm definitely on the White Sapote Train now.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
Supersweet

It is a cultivar that was suppose to be originally from Bonita Springs
and is suppose to thrive in Florida?  I was hoping to taste it this year but my 3 small fruit
dropped :-[  Hopefully I will get a second bloom after this recent flush? It wouldn't
hurt if it warmed up.

Alisha

• US, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:27 AM »
I've heard of Younghans and Redlands but I can't find any nurseries near me in Orlando that have any, at least for now. I called Pine Island but they don't have any yet, they told me maybe around May/June so I'll keep checking. Do you happen to know of any nurseries that might carry them besides PI just in case that falls through? I've never heard of Supersweet so have no idea where I would be able to get one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:12:15 AM by Alisha »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »
Redlands is my favorite so far. Large fruit and very delicious. Medium vigor.

I tore out my suebelle. The flavor was mediocre, and the fruit were on the small side. It also grew like mad.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »
Hi Jeff

Was your Suebelle from Excalibur?
Brad

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:19:09 PM »
I've been trying to remember where I got it from and I can't recall. It was roughly 2006 and could have been Excalibur, but I'm not sure.

Hi Jeff

Was your Suebelle from Excalibur?

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
Here is an old thread about USDA:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=371.0

Supposedly it is also from F&S Park and the description from the old thread about USDA honestly sounds like the SES 2. Does F&S Park have 2 different White Sapote, or are these the same variety?

Alisha

• US, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »
Here is an old thread about USDA:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=371.0

Supposedly it is also from F&S Park and the description from the old thread about USDA honestly sounds like the SES 2. Does F&S Park have 2 different White Sapote, or are these the same variety?

Thanks for finding that thread, I have never been to the Fruit and Spice Park but it would be a bummer if they really were the same variety. I wanted to get multiple types so I would have a better chance at one having viable pollen. I might just be too early in looking for trees, I just didn't want a repeat of last year when I tried to find some in August everyone I contacted was sold out.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
 I've never heard of Supersweet so have no idea where I would be able to get one.

Fruitscapes in Pine Island.

The tree is flushing heavy now and I could spare a few scions later if it turns out to be a winner.
I expect to be with that name?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
At one point in time, there were multiple white sap cultivars at the fruit and spice park, like nearly 1/2 dozen. Pretty sure they are still there. For a while, they had the area quarantined (fenced off) due to concerns with greening disease I believe.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »
You may consider having a multi graft tree if you lack the abundance of space, White Sapote can grow very big. Pollination should not be an issue either way but I agree , I am always of the mindset of multiple varieties and planting pollinator plants to increase pollenNation. If you are anywhere nearby definitely check out Fruit and Spice ASAP. Lots of inspiration inside those gates.

Alisha

• US, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »
You may consider having a multi graft tree if you lack the abundance of space, White Sapote can grow very big. Pollination should not be an issue either way but I agree , I am always of the mindset of multiple varieties and planting pollinator plants to increase pollenNation. If you are anywhere nearby definitely check out Fruit and Spice ASAP. Lots of inspiration inside those gates.

Multigrafting is definitely something I want to try once the base trees get to a proper size, maybe 2 or 3 years old. I have some avacado trees I'd like to start doing that with next year. I want to make sure whatever I plant will survive before risking it. Visiting the park is on my list for things to do this summer, I'm lucky to have family that lives down south to act as a waystation!  ;D

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
Excalibur lists USDA and SES 2 as unique cultivars, so I assume they are different. F&S Park indeed still has many White Sapote trees, including a few BIG unnamed seedling trees.  I was at the Asian Festival at the park a few weeks ago and one of the large seedling trees was sporting over 1,000 fruit easy.  VERY COOL

Alisha

• US, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 09:06:53 AM »
I was able to find someone selling Redlands and Homestead in Central FL so I think I'm going to grab those this coming week if they are still there. Might as well start collecting now while I'm young.  ::)

Edit: Can anyone share their experience growing Redlands and Homestead? What's their vigor like and how would you describe the fruit taste?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:30:01 AM by Alisha »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk