Author Topic: Persea mites  (Read 10786 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Persea mites
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »
One of my reed trees has them.  What do you use to treat them?  Spinosid?
Brad Spaugh

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Persea mites
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:22:54 PM »
They generally tend to go away on their own, but I'd reccomend either spinosad or neem oil to get rid of them. They were a problem before but now the predator has been introduced it hasn't been a problem since

EDIT: It'll go away on its own
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:58:08 PM by AnnonaMangoLord45 »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »
Insect frass hasn't worked for me

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:58:55 PM »
My hass has it pretty bad right now.
Shane

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 12:32:55 AM »
I really don't want it to spread to all my trees.  The leaves are dropping and the bark is going to get toasted.  The tree is young and not holding fruit.  Can I use something fed through the roots to treat the infested tree?   

Does neem oil and spinosad really work?  From doing google searches there doesn't seem to be much of a recommended treatment. 
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »

Forbid 4F.  No, it's not labeled for avocados and "no" it is not a poison, more like a soap the way it works.  Works on ALL stages and families.  Is translaminar too so you only have to worry about treating one side of the leaf.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
Oh ok sorry, just heard it from somewhere.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
Oh ok sorry, just heard it from somewhere.

No need to appologize.  I just was asking if they really work because finding a cure on the world wide web seems pretty difficult.  If neem or spinosad work I am happy to use them since I already own those. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »

Forbid 4F.  No, it's not labeled for avocados and "no" it is not a poison, more like a soap the way it works.  Works on ALL stages and families.  Is translaminar too so you only have to worry about treating one side of the leaf.

I will try and locate some of that Mark.  Thanks.  After doing some reading it sounds like 100F+ weather with low humidity kills them off.  So maybe the heateave we had will have slowed them down.  My guess is my one tree came from the nursery infested as none of the other trees are showing any signs.  Thats a bit frustrating.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
I will try and locate some of that Mark.  Thanks.  After doing some reading it sounds like 100F+ weather with low humidity kills them off.  So maybe the heateave we had will have slowed them down.  My guess is my one tree came from the nursery infested as none of the other trees are showing any signs.  Thats a bit frustrating.

Actually those are the conditions that sets them on fire.  They HATE rain and low temps, love dry heat.  Best organic control is 3 strong blasts of water to the canopy.  That's how I keep them off my maters.  It destroys their webby nests and kicks everyone's ass to the ground, young and old.

Whatever you use make sure it's a miticide and I don't believe Spinosad or neem are. 

Good luck.....mites will maim and can kill a tree in no time and once their population begins.....it explodes.   Dormant oil with malathion will get them too if you don't mind using a poison, and malathion is a pretty benign one at that.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
Horticultural Oil is safe to use and will help to get rid of them you should check into it
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
I would strongly reccomend using predatory mites.  I've used them on lots of outbreaks I've had on cannabis and have had amazing results. After about 1 or 2 weeks of the initial application I didn't have a trace of Spider Mites. Just did some research and there are quite a few California native species that would work well.  If you spray you will just need to continue spraying in the future, better to create an ecosystem that can support beneficial mites.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
My Reed tree had them pretty bad in the months of Feb/March. Leafs started falling...fast forward to today and it looks like its on steroids now. I would just occasionally spray it down with a pressured water hose. It went away by itself, at least I think they went away.   

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
According to this UC document they say

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r8400211.html

" winter temperatures slow growth of persea mite numbers. Mite densities are lowest around March and gradually increase through spring feeding on new leaf flush. Numbers generally peak in July and August. Persea mite populations are suppressed, and their numbers may decline rapidly, when the daily high temperature is 100°F or more on several consecutive days and humidity is low."

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »
I would strongly reccomend using predatory mites.  I've used them on lots of outbreaks I've had on cannabis and have had amazing results. After about 1 or 2 weeks of the initial application I didn't have a trace of Spider Mites. Just did some research and there are quite a few California native species that would work well.  If you spray you will just need to continue spraying in the future, better to create an ecosystem that can support beneficial mites.

Do you order the benefical bugs online?
Brad Spaugh

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 11:29:47 PM »

Yep, ordered them from RinconVitova although I know there's lots of retailers in California right now catering to the cannabis market.  It's a little expensive but if you have the money and the patience it's well worth it.  You can also talk to their representatives on the phone and they are really helpful.  Only thing is, if you decide to go this route you can't spray anything before or after. The mites need the negative population in order to thrive and survive.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »

Is your pot garden outdoors or in?

Pred. mites are fine as long as they can be "contained" and have a food supply, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »

Is your pot garden outdoors or in?

Pred. mites are fine as long as they can be "contained" and have a food supply, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid.

Outdoors my friend. Had lots of cowpeas planted as a cover crop which is a huge hot spot for mites.  I didn't notice any issues after they had devoured my spider mite problem.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 06:43:17 PM »
It looks like the bugs are spreading to the other trees.  But so far only the one tree is loosing a lot of leaves.  Ive got so many trees at this point I think Im just going to let nature run its course and see how it goes.  From most of the research Ive done they aren't going to make it for very long based on how far inland I am and our sunset zone being heavily influenced by the desert. 

The sunset zone maps for san diego county are pretty interesting.  So many different sub climates that depend on elevation, distance from the ocean, wind patterns, valleys, etc.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »
The guys in zone 23 and 24 would be having better conditions for these mites to thrive it seems.  My place is on the edge of where they can survive.  Something I read said 20 miles inland or firther and they just get cooked conpletely.  We are about 16 miles inland but its in a really dry exposed area. 

Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
I have it badly on my West Indian Race Mantequilla avocado. Have sprayed and drenched with Neem oil and failed to eradicate. Any help from Carlos or Mark would be greatly appreciated. I will call Julie Fink and have her come up to my place to check it out.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »
Getting input from Julie and relaying it would be great. 

I take it your tree is flushing heavily?  It seems like they only feed on soft new flush.  So people who fertilize less or water less may have less of an issue.  Kind of like leaf miners on citrus. 
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 08:58:08 PM »
Getting input from Julie and relaying it would be great. 

I take it your tree is flushing heavily?  It seems like they only feed on soft new flush.  So people who fertilize less or water less may have less of an issue.  Kind of like leaf miners on citrus.
It is flushing heavy but you don't really see it until winter. I'm sure they are munching away.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
The guys in zone 23 and 24 would be having better conditions for these mites to thrive it seems.  My place is on the edge of where they can survive.  Something I read said 20 miles inland or firther and they just get cooked conpletely.  We are about 16 miles inland but its in a really dry exposed area. 

Again, mites thrive under hot and dry conditions.  Trust me Spaugh, you let this paradigm of "borderline" climes dictate how and when you treat is gonna be the death blow to your trees.  They are being weakened as you watch.   Get the bastards now!  There will be plenty of eggs to go around in those leaves to let drop.  I can vouch for Forbid 4F.  Expensive as hell but it IS the silver bullet.  Translaminar, no way for the pests to build up an immunity, nails every cycle/stage of every mite family known.  Safety issue - I've used it on my citrus and our family is still standing.    :D  (It will continue to be expensive until it goes generic).

Here's all the info you need.  https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef438

And.....don't you guys have farm agents and local entomologists you can call on for pest control?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »

Yep, ordered them from RinconVitova although I know there's lots of retailers in California right now catering to the cannabis market.  It's a little expensive but if you have the money and the patience it's well worth it.  You can also talk to their representatives on the phone and they are really helpful.  Only thing is, if you decide to go this route you can't spray anything before or after. The mites need the negative population in order to thrive and survive.

I am leaning towards this as they say their predator mites will survive winters here.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:36:12 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh