Author Topic: Theobroma bicolor - your growing experance  (Read 4574 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Theobroma bicolor - your growing experance
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
How easy to grow Theobroma bicolor ?. Any idea about the heat tolerance of this specie ?.

Thanks
Moh'd

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: Theobroma bicolor - your growing experance
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:50:02 PM »
Pretty easy to grow, They stand heat well, keep mostly shaded or in filtered light, I have mine under some big trees so it gets dappled light all day with a little over an hour of full evening sun. Mine are about 2 years old. Just keep watered on Hot days but you can let it dry out for a couple days for the most part, the leaves will show you when their stressed and need water.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
Very easy to grown, and is very vigorous in right conditions. I don't know though that they will stand heat over 40 C? They have large leaves, so can dry out very fast. Don't plant in area susceptible to wind. Much more upright and bigger than cacao.
Oscar

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
Hello Friend,

The growth is easy, but germination is tense!
I brought several fruits in 2014 in Manaus, germination was very poor, but I think it was the fault of the winter here in my region of Brazil.
Germination is a little better than the germination of cupuaçu.
The taste is very tasty, and the tree grows well fast!

Very easy to grown, and is very vigorous in right conditions. I don't know though that they will stand heat over 40 C? They have large leaves, so can dry out very fast. Don't plant in area susceptible to wind. Much more upright and bigger than cacao.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »
Yes, it's easy to grow, but probably has lots of limitations.  In Mexico, for instance, I don't think it is grown in very dry areas.  It is grown along with cacao where there is high humidity.  Perhaps if it grows well for Luc then it could be grown in Dubai. 
Peter

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:47:46 PM »
I always saw this tree in damp and shaded location.
Only need protection from the sun and cold wind.

Yes, it's easy to grow, but probably has lots of limitations.  In Mexico, for instance, I don't think it is grown in very dry areas.  It is grown along with cacao where there is high humidity.  Perhaps if it grows well for Luc then it could be grown in Dubai. 
Peter
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 02:16:42 AM »
Seed germination was very easy for me. I planted all the seeds from one pod, and all but one seed germinated.  I don't think they like straight sunlight or any competition from weeds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 06:22:27 AM »
Seed germination was very easy for me. I planted all the seeds from one pod, and all but one seed germinated.  I don't think they like straight sunlight or any competition from weeds.
Mine are in full sunlight. As grown plants they can take full sunlight, especially in our area with lots of cloud cover.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 03:34:53 PM »
Pretty easy to grow, They stand heat well, keep mostly shaded or in filtered light, I have mine under some big trees so it gets dappled light all day with a little over an hour of full evening sun. Mine are about 2 years old. Just keep watered on Hot days but you can let it dry out for a couple days for the most part, the leaves will show you when their stressed and need water.

Thanks for your input.

I always like to try something new and  I believe no one have tried to grow Cacao or any related specie in the Arabian peninsula. i might be crazy in trying to grow ultra-tropical plants in the middle of desert. lol
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 03:48:20 PM »

I wish I had more space, the land around here are really expensive, 20,000 ft Square could easily cost me  $800k (virgin land).

I'm going to plant it under a big tree.

Thanks Oscar
Moh'd

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »
I found germination of these to be quite good.  I had a pod I got locally but procrastinated too long to extract the seed (pod turning brown).  When I finally got them out, it was pretty nasty to try to clean the seeds off, with a slimy, snotty pulp that smelled like bad clams that did not want to come off the seeds.  Despite this, I got very high germination.

I had corresponded with a guy in Central America about these & they supposedly do very well in wet areas, so he plants his mocambo in parts of his farm not well suited to cacao.  I am easing my first plants into full sun (here in HI) now, in a wetter part of my property.

John

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
Hello Friend,

The growth is easy, but germination is tense!
I brought several fruits in 2014 in Manaus, germination was very poor, but I think it was the fault of the winter here in my region of Brazil.
Germination is a little better than the germination of cupuaçu.
The taste is very tasty, and the tree grows well fast!

Thanks for the information Alexandre.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
Peter

The humidity can get really high and so is the temperature. I tried to grow cacao before but I have failed duo to my lack of knowledge. I believe the key is to find the perfect growing medium/soil. Regular potting soil is not good enough especially if you live in a desert. Nowadays, i use peat moss, Compost, perlite and red desert sand.

Thanks Peter

http://www.godubai.com/explore/whatshot.asp

Moh'd

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »
Mine are in full sunlight. As grown plants they can take full sunlight, especially in our area with lots of cloud cover.

Good to know, thank you.  How many years before yours fruited?

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 09:17:16 PM »
I know - Sonoran desert vs Arabian desert totally different ecosystem - but you might find this an interesting readhttps://books.google.com.ph/books?id=fv2GAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=grow+cacao+in+desert&source=bl&ots=YsbnEVb9F9&sig=vNbFTdyRE_WO-5-x77JrW7ohIII&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3vpac2o_NAhXFjJQKHa1nD7Y4ChDoAQgjMAA#v=onepage&q=grow%20cacao%20in%20desert&f=false:

Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 01:54:18 AM »

Good to know, thank you.  How many years before yours fruited?
About 5 years from seed planting.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 11:42:33 AM »

Thanks PahoaJo

Good luck with your tree
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:50:18 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
I found germination of these to be quite good.  I had a pod I got locally but procrastinated too long to extract the seed (pod turning brown).  When I finally got them out, it was pretty nasty to try to clean the seeds off, with a slimy, snotty pulp that smelled like bad clams that did not want to come off the seeds.  Despite this, I got very high germination.

I had corresponded with a guy in Central America about these & they supposedly do very well in wet areas, so he plants his mocambo in parts of his farm not well suited to cacao.  I am easing my first plants into full sun (here in HI) now, in a wetter part of my property.

John

Good luck and Thanks John
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »
I know - Sonoran desert vs Arabian desert totally different ecosystem - but you might find this an interesting readhttps://books.google.com.ph/books?id=fv2GAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=grow+cacao+in+desert&source=bl&ots=YsbnEVb9F9&sig=vNbFTdyRE_WO-5-x77JrW7ohIII&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3vpac2o_NAhXFjJQKHa1nD7Y4ChDoAQgjMAA#v=onepage&q=grow%20cacao%20in%20desert&f=false:

Sukran Dimples Lee, nice find.

Creating a micro climate or growing a tropical tree under a big tree (companion tree) is probably one of the most important factors to success. Jack mace and Sheamus from Arizona covered this topic in their YouTube videos.
Moh'd

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »
Peter

Grows well for me Peter and Moh'd , but it's getting too much shade from a Litchi and a Kwai Muk , has plenty of humidity ( I kinda created my own micro climate ) and watered at least 2 x a week , but ....still waiting for fruit ...Meanwhile , since I adore the pulp , I have pods sent from friends in the south of Mexico .
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:43:49 PM by luc »
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk