Author Topic: My First Firm Flesh Rollinia  (Read 4502 times)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
My First Firm Flesh Rollinia
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:08:46 PM »
After so many years looking for that ever elusive firm flesh Rollinia, I finally found it!

Yep that sickly five year old tree barely getting any water growing next to my upland pond apple I have develop for the better of two decades and a half reward me with a fruit that insure its progey will goes on to the Tawain Annona Mafias... New Palace in Manalapa, Florida.

It start about five years ago Buying of scambay a seedling from now defunct seller from Hawaii.  From the get go it grew poorly and had several die back, attack by every insects of Noah Ark or is it Monsanto Ark creation I have forget; my Alzhiemer kicking in so I will be short today!  I curse myself from buying off scambay; been bamboozled by the Dorgon beast with weed seeds and the Hawaiian were selling this Choctaw Brave with counterfeit rollinia seedling it tormented this old fart for the better half a decade but felt more like half a century.  I watch as Oscar, Berto, Noel, F&SP, Tradewind, Montososa Garden, etc seedlings shed and flush new leaves and thrive in my garden lush like a south beach model in a Brazilian bikini thong.  I was about to kill this scambay Hawaiian counterfeit on my return this summer and fill its void with Soren's super fruitful Aruscha Soursop seedlings and give my Pond Snob pond apple more sun for a larger flesh tasty fruit.

The tree had this fruit dangling hidden behind the overcast of a Burmese Red Sugar apple, its golden hue caught my attention through its green scale infest leaves and twig!  I scream to my wife,  Honey come quick, the ugly tree you hate have finally gave us fruits!  We harvest split it up and devour that in no time.  My wife favorite Desert is Key Lime pie and said it taste like lemon meringe or key lime pie but firm and just right amount of sweet kisses and salivating tartness like our Meyer Lemon.

Now its seem loaded with flowers but with thicker ugly leaves. 

We had bumper crop of Phet Pakchong this year, three trees produce a wopping 142 lbs of great looking fruit but tasteless do in part to the early in the year drought and now they are pregnate with water and bearing late now. See the Thai Atemoya at fotos at bottom. Sadly I regret to cut all three phet pakchong trees down to replace it with the new discovered firm flesh rollinia.  Now this rollinia got the finest redneck fertilizer that the postal service can send & I have been drinking a lot of coconut to increase the peepee ratio for my brewing of the fertilizer.  The Rollinia now has thousand of flowers.  But where are the mealy bug and green scale on this tree the last five years?  I think my neglect because this ugly thing originally turn me off, could have produce sooner.  Now I know its a water hog and heavy feeder, with vigor & good health it seem to fight disease and best better and like a fine wagyu beef; I am still dumb found that it taste like key lime pie and seem to have a meyer lime taste and smell to the flesh.

I am going to cull my rollinia collection to make room and develop this firm flesh rollinia.  I have notice Berto and Oscar rollinia more drought resistance, so I will develope and Select a less water hog Rollinia with firm aroma flesh like this Scambay Rollinia.  I am going to see what it next fruit will be like before I firm up my rollinia culling.  Maybe the 60 years drought we had early could make the fruit firmer, so let be cautious and see.  I am still looking for all type of firm flesh rollinia to ad to my breeding.  The soft flesh rollinia although delicious didnot fire unami imagination like this firm rollinia I was luckily enough to gamble & purchase it on Ebay from Hawaii of all place!  Aloha Micah!🌴😄🌋

The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: My First Firm Flesh Rollinia
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
looks good great write up.   

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
The thai sugar apple and atemoya types just don't seem to have good rich flavour.
Firmer rollinia are better than soft ones that go to mucous very fast and have a short shelf life..The commercial ones here have firmer flesh to aid with transport and shelf life and they taste really good. The best of these locally is on one farmers property.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:15 PM »
Beautiful fruit well done!
John

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 01:09:12 AM »
The thai sugar apple and atemoya types just don't seem to have good rich flavour.
Firmer rollinia are better than soft ones that go to mucous very fast and have a short shelf life..The commercial ones here have firmer flesh to aid with transport and shelf life and they taste really good. The best of these locally is on one farmers property.

Thank God some one agree with me that the Thai annona suck! Only reason I grew PhetPakchong was it fruiting abundance in tropic lowland compare to other atemoyas I had grown over the years, when blacken ripe like photo below; sweet as hell like eating chewy sugar water, that is it! But phet pakchong sweet juiciness make tasty Moonshine ( Volka)!
Thank Mike T for the head up!  You have the coordinate of this farmer so I can ask a Grey Alien friend to abduct it at night in his flying saucer?😜
Wow that tree and fruit look totally different from mine, two different beasts, look like it has a very high water table were it is grown. Do you think you can get me some seeds for trade or sale? I can trade you with the Whitman fiberless from my improve breeding program (I have the Small seed and the large seed strain of Whitman Fiberless) or something else that can survive a trip to OZ?✈️

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 04:47:53 AM »
Coconut I posted a picture in of this rollinia variety in hand a few weeks ago in another thread to show the size of it.The seeds have since fanned out across the globe and to dinga Ling in the Northern Territory but I will try to get another.There are lots of variations that just get called sputnik,lemon,firm,smooth etc as they have no variety names.Not many are firm and richly favoured.
I have a few of your whitman fiberless sprouting already.as well as Arusha, recife,morado and Lisa.I will let you know when and if I get the good rollinia.
I have watched thai people eat good atemoya and sugar apple and seen their surprise.There ain't no Paxton prolific in thailand and found no noinas worth acquiring there.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:51:15 AM »
Coconut look on the September 16 thread with rollinia being the first word.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
Probably best to graft a superior biriba, not sure if seeds will be 100% true.

Here is a fruit from the tree I have been propagating...it was definitely worth keeping

Thank God some one agree with me that the Thai annona suck! Only reason I grew PhetPakchong was it fruiting abundance in tropic lowland compare to other atemoyas I had grown over the years, when blacken ripe like photo below; sweet as hell like eating chewy sugar water, that is it! But phet pakchong sweet juiciness make tasty Moonshine ( Volka)!
Thank Mike T for the head up!  You have the coordinate of this farmer so I can ask a Grey Alien friend to abduct it at night in his flying saucer?😜
Wow that tree and fruit look totally different from mine, two different beasts, look like it has a very high water table were it is grown. Do you think you can get me some seeds for trade or sale? I can trade you with the Whitman fiberless from my improve breeding program (I have the Small seed and the large seed strain of Whitman Fiberless) or something else that can survive a trip to OZ?✈️

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:37:27 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
Good info above.....I picked and ate my first rollinia yesterday.  I bought a seedling in 2006 from Govardan in Puerto Rico.  The tree has always looked healthy and went through a cold spell some years ago but made it OK.  I like the fruit but was hoping it would be as good or better than my atemoyas and sugar apples. It wasn't but it is a good fruit.  There is a YouTube video of a woman eating a huge one in Hawaii and raving about it.  I guess I don't have that cultivar.  My tree is about 16 feet.  Rusty

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »

They get much bigger than this.

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »

They get much bigger than this.
Huge !  So much variation.  Wish I could try one that size. Thanks for the photo, Mike.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »
Well folks it got really cold the first four months while I was RVing through Florida and returning home I found a bonanza of Firm Rollinia.

The colds ealier has destroyed the fruit to develop and ripen property and the taste were awful.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »

Thankfully it is kicking out flowers and new fruit so I will have a summer crops.
This everbearing tendency if this firm variety is best grown in more truly tropical environment to get the best tasting fruit.  In my subtropical environment fruits develop during cilder months are nithing but a fruit flies farm.  😭

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:46 PM »
Shame that the fruit during cold periods does not develop good flavor. I have 3 different Rollinia strains now. Always looking for another  ;D.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
Sign me up

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »