Author Topic: Shipping mangosteen grafted plants  (Read 4794 times)

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
Shipping mangosteen grafted plants
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:19:23 AM »
I am getting ready to ship 200 grafted mangosteen plants 2 to 3 years old by plane from Philippines to New Caledonia and I still wonder what would be the best temperature to set up inside thé envirotainer knowing they gonna have to stay inside the container for about 5 days. Is 15 degrees Celsius too much ?
Also any other advices are welcome and much appreciated.
Le Jardin aux Mille Fruits
La Coulée, New Caledonia

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping mangosteen grafted plants
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
no answer ?
La Coulée, New Caledonia

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
I don't know what the weathers like over there, but I keep my Mangosteen seedling inside the house for the time being for it to get adjusted then maybe I'll look for nice area in the backyard where it's not too cold or hot either

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
Grow hundreds of mangosteen seedlings in New Caledonia, then import 300-600 scions of mangosteen from Philippine.

Shipping 200 plants wont be cheap.
Moh'd

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
Grow hundreds of mangosteen seedlings in New Caledonia, then import 300-600 scions of mangosteen from Philippine.

He speaks the truth.
Biodiversity is key.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

Mangosteens themselves are very cheap by western standards. Probably paying no more than $2 for a plant, $400 total.  It does make sense to go this route depending on shipping charges.

Gosh, I don't want to be responsible for entire shipment but 15 C sounds borderline low. I would have to guess they would be happier around 23 C hanging in container for 5 days.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
Don't know much about shipping fruit trees in containers but I do grow mangosteen and it NEVER goes to 15C here.  The low temp is more about 23C and up to 30.  I think that, with ventilation, I would aim for 23-25.  Too cold might make them dormant.
Peter

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 10:59:41 PM »
I don't know what the weathers like over there, but I keep my Mangosteen seedling inside the house for the time being for it to get adjusted then maybe I'll look for nice area in the backyard where it's not too cold or hot either

You are not getting it adjusted by keeping it your house.  I guarantee your house does not have the humidity needed and doubtful you keep it truly warm enough.  Dont know why people feel this is how to care for tropicals and ultra tropicals.
- Rob

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »

You are not getting it adjusted by keeping it your house.  I guarantee your house does not have the humidity needed and doubtful you keep it truly warm enough.  Dont know why people feel this is how to care for tropicals and ultra tropicals.
Sorry that I'm not an expert, I'm just saying because I see that the plant is doing very well inside.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:27:07 PM »

Sorry that I'm not an expert, I'm just saying because I see that the plant is doing very well inside.

Not saying it takes an expert but its very simple to find and obtain basic care requirements just by a little google searching.  I am not trying to single you out, it goes for many who attempt to grow tropicals and moreso ultra tropicals in zone, locations and areas where one will not wind up with a thriving productive tree but instead ultimately a struggling "houseplant".
- Rob

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 11:35:40 PM »

Not saying it takes an expert but its very simple to find and obtain basic care requirements just by a little google searching.  I am not trying to single you out, it goes for many who attempt to grow tropicals and moreso ultra tropicals in zone, locations and areas where one will not wind up with a thriving productive tree but instead ultimately a struggling "houseplant".
I did do my research on Mangosteen, the reason I have it inside temporarily because the plant is still very young but when it gets older I'm planning on moving it to a greenhouse outside where it will have the proper humidity
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:41:35 PM by Schutzhund »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 11:41:34 PM »

I did do my research on Mangosteen, the reason I have it inside temporarily because the plant is still very young but when it gets older I'm planning on moving it to a greenhouse outside where it will have the proper humidity

Research should have told you that i side your house is not a good place to raise the tree.  Will your greenhouse be for ultra tropicals or mixed classification?  You also said you would put it in your yard?  Not likely to ultimately survive in the yard.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:44:32 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »

Will your greenhouse be for ultra tropicals or mixed classification?
Ultra Tropical, I understand that you weren't trying to single me out, but I just felt that way because I just want to grow fruit that I enjoy eating and I've met people who just want to put you down on growing.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »
I don't know how good the container control is, but I would error on the low side.  You never know how long the container will be sitting on the tarmac in the blazing sun.  Five days of cooler temps aint going to hurt them, but baking at 40c will.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
I wish you success in the transportation. Please keep us updated on how the process worked. It would be great if there was a standard protocol/way of shipping plants from different countries, so I'll be looking forward to positive results!
Federico
Homestead, FL

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 11:18:08 PM »
I don't know how good the container control is, but I would error on the low side.  You never know how long the container will be sitting on the tarmac in the blazing sun.  Five days of cooler temps aint going to hurt them, but baking at 40c will.

It's temperature controlled container. Temperature will always be steady according to setting. Outside factors have no influence. 

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 07:34:14 AM »
I would aim at a 25 °C with a realtive humidity of about 80%
Humidity is also an important factor to consider aside from temperature itself.
I think that a nice 25°C of temperature with a men-comfortable humidty of 40-50% would cause your young mangosteens to drop their leaves....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:44:03 AM by Lory »
Lorenzo

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies. We have shipped around 300 grafter mangosteen plus about 1000 other grafted fruit trees into an evirotainer at a controled temp of 20 degrees celcius . I will keep you updated with results. We  are going to replant all the plants this weekend. They have spent 8 days naked roots but humidified and protected with newspaper. Will know in the next coming weeks wether it was a good idea or not...
La Coulée, New Caledonia

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies. We have shipped around 300 grafter mangosteen plus about 1000 other grafted fruit trees into an evirotainer at a controled temp of 20 degrees celcius . I will keep you updated with results. We  are going to replant all the plants this weekend. They have spent 8 days naked roots but humidified and protected with newspaper. Will know in the next coming weeks wether it was a good idea or not...

This is a very exciting project. Good luck with everything! I would love to see picutres.
-Josh

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
Please give us the name of the shipping company! Would love to ship some prized plants from the Ph all the way to my new home but haven't had any idea (logistically) how to go about it. Heck I can dream right? Even if the cost is too prohibitive it at least gives me an idea how much to save up for.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk