Author Topic: Forcing baobab seedlings to leaf out ???  (Read 857 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Forcing baobab seedlings to leaf out ???
« on: March 08, 2022, 02:31:36 AM »
Hi, so i have those two dormant baobab seedlings with no leaves, one of them shed its leaves in nov- december , the other one sometime January i think, both of them are now naked.  The branches are green and there are buds visibl3 at the tips but they are not swelling. I am holding off the water on them to not rot them, the soil has some moisture to it 
Will they leaf out on their own come spring or should i force them somehow.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing baobab seedlings to leaf out ???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
I would expect them to survive at least six months of extreme drought. They are succulent and store a lot of water. In your climate I wouldn't water at all until summertime then put it outside. I have never grown one but I witnessed a Baobab over 2 meters in diameter have a melt-down in the Virgin Islands. It literally collapsed into a pile of slime in a few months.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 10:42:07 AM »
They do not need water until they leaf out, I assume you are talking about digitata

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »
I would expect them to survive at least six months of extreme drought. They are succulent and store a lot of water. In your climate I wouldn't water at all until summertime then put it outside. I have never grown one but I witnessed a Baobab over 2 meters in diameter have a melt-down in the Virgin Islands. It literally collapsed into a pile of slime in a few months.
thanks, i will not water it then until they show some movement....did the plant u are mentioning died from too much moisture?

They do not need water until they leaf out, I assume you are talking about digitata
they were boughr as digitata, they were 3 plants, one of them died. The remaining two ones are quite different from each other, one has more pointed and slim leaves and branched out already, the other had more wide and round leaves, the one that died was also like that, they both did not branch out.
I am thinking the remaining two ones are different species, i dunno, for sure they look and behave differently.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 12:11:13 PM by Plantinyum »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 09:50:24 PM »
did the plant u are mentioning died from too much moisture?
Really don't know, I drove by it frequently then one day it was almost gone. Very strange. They are often hollow inside, and the flesh of the tree is soft.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 09:56:01 PM »
Are yours under artificial or natural light currently? I always throw mine outside just when temperatures are warm enough and they will start pushing new growth pretty quickly.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 02:36:12 AM »
did the plant u are mentioning died from too much moisture?
Really don't know, I drove by it frequently then one day it was almost gone. Very strange. They are often hollow inside, and the flesh of the tree is soft.
yeah, the one that died just went soft at soil level , i think cold was the reason, in fall they sall  around 2 nights of 5 C  in the gh, they are really tender which i didnt expect, the two that did not die just willted for the rest of the time, but are alive still as long as i can see.

Are yours under artificial or natural light currently? I always throw mine outside just when temperatures are warm enough and they will start pushing new growth pretty quickly.
They were in a darkish corner in my room a week ago since they are leafless , now i moved them to a brighter place expecting them to start doing something. Nice to know that they leaf out once outside, i will put them in the gh but its too cold now for that, prolly will wait till the middle of april.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 08:33:55 PM »
Just checked in on mine. It's ready to take off as soon as it hits natural light and warmth.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 01:58:07 AM »
Just checked in on mine. It's ready to take off as soon as it hits natural light and warmth.

yes ,yours looks like its waking up, mine are just green branches with visible still dormant buds. Now it is kinda coolish in the house(17-22c ) lately so this will i hope continue to keep them dormant. The best scenario will be for them to be dormant till the middle to end of april, when i do not have night temps below 7-8 C or above in the greenhouse, to put them there....
The light in the house is not favorable for plants to make a strong growth....
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:00:14 AM by Plantinyum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk