Author Topic: Most Outrageously Delicious Canistel Ever  (Read 18598 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Most Outrageously Delicious Canistel Ever
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:23 AM »
A friend recently brought me over some giant canistels to try out. Wow! They were mind blowingly good. I'm not a huge fan of canistels. But these ones i devoured right away. I liked them so much i forgot to take a photo.  :'( They look like my Phillippine Pointed but are much wider, especially at the top. They were much better than the PP and also way better than Ross Sapote.. Much more moist, and none of that strong cloying musky taste most canistels have. Another big plus was zero latex. I will have to beg my friend to bring me more fruits, and hopefully some scion wood. Will post more later if i can get them.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Most Outrageously Delicious Canistel Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:36:53 AM »
A friend recently brought me over some giant canistels to try out. Wow! They were mind blowingly good. I'm not a huge fan of canistels. But these ones i devoured right away. I liked them so much i forgot to take a photo.  :'( They look like my Phillippine Pointed but are much wider, especially at the top. They were much better than the PP and also way better than Ross Sapote.. Much more moist, and none of that strong cloying musky taste most canistels have. Another big plus was zero latex. I will have to beg my friend to bring me more fruits, and hopefully some scion wood. Will post more later if i can get them.

scionwood me.

i'm sold...just tell me what to call it  ;D

maybe "cannibal", because it taste so good you'd bite your friends hand off if they tried to take it?

Cannibal canistel has a nice ring to it...maybe i will have to start a death metal band if you don't choose this name... :P

( I could tour all the fruit clubs in FL!...Simcox brothers on guitar and drums!)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:42:08 AM »

scionwood me.

maybe "cannibal", because it taste so good you'd bite your friends hand off if they tried to take it?

Cannibal canistel has a nice ring to it...maybe i will have to start a death metal band if you don't choose this name... :P

( I could tour all the fruit clubs in FL!...Simcox brothers on guitar and drums!)

I thought of a name already. I'm going to call it Jay Ram Canistel, in honor of the person here that planted it. This was no mere accident. Apparently, as story goes, he planted many canistels on his property, and this is the only one to kill for.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:21 AM »
Oscar....

that thing is money!!

get some scion woods circulated...a new canistel variety is hard to come by...and it's a top notch fruit with a bright future!!

I will pray you get this one going!

good luck!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
is Ray Jam still alive?  a fruit collector in Hawaii?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:21:13 AM »
is Ray Jam still alive?  a fruit collector in Hawaii?

Yes fruit collector, yes still alive (i think). He's on the lam.
Oscar

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »
This sounds good. Would love to try it and see if I like it. That would be nice to be able to spread the variety around and have your hand in putting out a popular new Canistel, Oscar.

I don't enjoy most Canistel. It feels like eating pudding left out until it was dry. Lol. Then I've only eaten the Philippine type. Maybe there are other types I would like.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
Adam -  do you grow canistel locally?  Would the cold hardiness be on par with white sapote?
- Marley

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »
I would ordinarily say that "Canistel" following the words "outrageously delicious" seems like one of the greatest non-sequitur lines of all time.  But you have this Canistel tolerator intrigued.  A bit about the growing conditions......elevation, etc. when you get a chance.  And no pictures?  Oscar, I am a bit concerned.  Are you OK?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »
Adam -  do you grow canistel locally?  Would the cold hardiness be on par with white sapote?

I think they are more tropical

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »

I think they are more tropical

Yes I grow canisters in pots...they seem to be slightly more cold tolerant than a mango...can easily survive 28F with minimal damage...25-26F starts to really hurt the tree if prolonged.

I suppose the kill temp is around 24-26, depending on severity of freeze and maturity of tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 10:14:21 AM »

scionwood me.

;D ;D ;D hilarious
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
Oscar....

that thing is money!!

get some scion woods circulated...a new canistel variety is hard to come by...and it's a top notch fruit with a bright future!!

good luck!
Adam, Put me down for a pre-heal if you get scions!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
WOW, Oscar, sounds like you found a winner ;)Await the day when you can offer scion wood 8)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
"slightly more cold tolerant than a mango"

I would say the opposite is true.  I've never lost a mango from cold. Canistel don't make it this far North unless very protected.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
lol Preheal McNeil gets a deal!

(I might need to start a subsidiary nursery that only sells prehealed grafted plants...call, "Prehealed McNeil's")

Oscar....

that thing is money!!

good luck!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »

(I might need to start a subsidiary nursery that only sells prehealed grafted plants...call, "Prehealed McNeil's")

Oscar....

that thing is money!!

good luck!

I would take a preheal as well if there available in the future.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »

Oscar....

that thing is money!!

good luck!

I would take a preheal as well if there available in the future.

me 3

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
This sounds good. Would love to try it and see if I like it. That would be nice to be able to spread the variety around and have your hand in putting out a popular new Canistel, Oscar.

I don't enjoy most Canistel. It feels like eating pudding left out until it was dry. Lol. Then I've only eaten the Philippine type. Maybe there are other types I would like.

This one is so unique that i think it would appeal to most people, even canistel haters.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
I would ordinarily say that "Canistel" following the words "outrageously delicious" seems like one of the greatest non-sequitur lines of all time.  But you have this Canistel tolerator intrigued.  A bit about the growing conditions......elevation, etc. when you get a chance.  And no pictures?  Oscar, I am a bit concerned.  Are you OK?

Your being in the law profession, i would like to reply that i enter that in judgement as exhibit A----The fruit was so darned good that i ate them both with great excitement, before it dawned on me that i should take a photo. Later i had a visitor over, a forum member, and we ate the third one together. He said it tasted like winter squash to him. I think a better descripition would be a very rich and juicy sweet potato or yam.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
So I was the one lucky enough to try it while visiting Oscar, and I'd say it tasted like winter squash in a good way - smooth and rich and even like it had been spiced with something.  I haven't cared much for other related fruits I've had, so maybe my palate isn't representative, but this was definitely the best I've tried.

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Interesting.  As a Canistel lover, I wonder if it would strike me as vastly superior. Would love to try it, and grow it.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
Interesting.  As a Canistel lover, I wonder if it would strike me as vastly superior. Would love to try it, and grow it.

Ditto- love canistel but have limited experience. This one sounds amazing. Best of luck propagating it

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 05:55:18 AM »
Was able to get limited amount of scion wood of this excellent canistel. Making it available for those interested: 2 scions plus shipping in USA $16. PM me if interested.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »
I have tried some pretty good canistels including some that are very large with perfect skin.I have a Ross sapote that is great and the best canistels are about on par with it and it produces multiple crops.
About 3 years ago Peter Salleras of Mission Beach (Feluga really) brought me a canistel that was bred by a local farmer which he said was great.Its first good crop ripened in the last few weeks and in a epiphany moment much like what Oscar experienced I was delighted with the first one.Thai visitors who have stayed at my place for 8 weeks have attacked the fruit like a plague of locusts and are absconding with every seed.The last one is ripe now.My visitors also have been quite taken with black sapotes and the local atemoyas.