Author Topic: Pruning Guava Tree  (Read 3126 times)

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
Pruning Guava Tree
« on: April 29, 2015, 10:45:08 PM »
I have a white Thai/Vietnamese type guava growing in a 15 inch container.  I over winter this tree in the garage.
In March a pruned some branches to keep it from getting too tall. Now each of those pruned branches are sending out multiple shoots.
Should I trim these to a maximum of say 3 shoots per branch? Otherwise the tree would get crowded with multiple branches.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Pruning Guava Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »
Prune them like a jaboticaba!  thin out the little branches, and encourage the oldest thickest branches to grow.....but for guava it's ok to cut the branch tips back a little bit more than jaboticaba...(for jaboticaba I rarely prune branch tips, I just thin out smaller interior branches)

I use the same technique for pruning most of my Annonas.

I would prune them after danger of all frost has gone, probably now is ok (depending on your region), but here in FL we could have pruned them in Feb-March.

How to Prune a Jaboticaba tree (Myrciaria trunciflora and Myrciaria aureana)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
Nice looking Thai guava. Very soon you will have fruit by the look of your tree.
RichardN

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »
It could probably use some fertilizer. Mine were 8 years old and didn't produce fruit until fertilizer. We actually used the spike fertilizer for citrus trees, and it flowered and fruited. I know you asked pruning, but thought you might want that tip.

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:48:47 PM »
Thank you all. I pruned it leaving around 3 strong shoots per branch. Next I will give it a shot of ferts to get it going. I need it to flower by end of May so I can get fruit before frost.

This has fruited before. It is about 4 years old. I grafted the left branch when the root stock was the thickness of a pencil. They are both white crunchy types.
I plan on approach grafting a couple of other varieties on to it. 

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 01:40:49 AM »
I started my Thai guava from seed. Three years later it produces fruit in pots.
RichardN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk