Author Topic: The Four Big Saps (Sapindaceaes)  (Read 4049 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
The Four Big Saps (Sapindaceaes)
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
This is one of those rare times of the year when the seasons of the 4 big saps: lychee, rambutan, pulasan, and longan overlap. At least for a few short days:

As you may notice from this photo, it's really a myth that pulasans are bigger than rambutans. Well yes, they are bigger on the outside, but they also have a much thicker rind, and usually a bigger seed. So they end up being the same in pulp content, or sometimes a bit less.
Oscar

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: The Four Big Saps (Sapindaceaes)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »
Those pulasans aren't bigger than rambutans, but the ones I had in KL Malayasia were MUCH bigger than rambutan.  I could not get my thumb and forefinger around them (never had that issue with rambutan)
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Those pulasans aren't bigger than rambutans, but the ones I had in KL Malayasia were MUCH bigger than rambutan.  I could not get my thumb and forefinger around them (never had that issue with rambutan)

Yes, thats was correct, maybe because it is from other variety or clone.
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »

Yes, thats was correct, maybe because it is from other variety or clone.

Look at top photo. The pulasans are definitely bigger. Anyway my main point is that pulp/waste ratio in pulasans is not nearly as good as with rambutan, so you may be fooled into thinking you're getting more, when usually you are getting about same. Pulasans have thicker rinds than rambutans, and also usually bigger seeds. Just cleaned about 100 of each.
Oscar

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »
Yes the rind is thicker with pulasan than with rambutan.  But at the same time the pulasans in your picture are a LOT smaller than the ones I bought in KL (either that or your rambutan, lytchee, and longan are all abnormally huge).  The seed was larger too but all told each pulasan had more aril than the rambutans (you demonstrated with the picture that isn't true for yours).

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »
DON'T OVERLOOK THE PALATABILITY OF PULAN SEED.

I THINK IN TERMS OF THE BIG 5 AND INCLUDE POMETIA
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
That is probably true about pometia although they might not have quite the same acid/sugar balance and the texture is different.There are a couple of varieties that are larger,thicker fleshed and better than the rest.One of these is grown at Cape Tribulation and stands out from other varieties it is grown with.I think I was told it was from New Ireland.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:40 AM »
Here in Sabah, Malaysia, none are in season right now, even though we are also in the Northern Hemisphere.  (lychee not grown here)

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »

I hope you are roasting or cooking the seeds before you eat them.  The seeds of all the members of this family (even the distantly related maple seeds) all contain hypoglycin(s) (some like Ackee contain  more than one form of hypoglycin).  I think ackee is the only one where a single seed can kill you but hypoglycins are a rather nasty enzyme (they temporarily shut down some of the metabolic pathways and can cause liver damage).  Hypoglycin enzymes are denatured by cooking though.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 04:03:26 AM »

Would love to include the Fijian Longan (Pometia pinnata), but my tree keeps getting nailed by rose beetles. :'( Seems like these beetles prefer it over any other plant. I just found out possible simple solution. Someone claimed that putting an inexpensive solar light on the tree will keep the rose beetles away as they are night flyers. I'm going to give that a try.
I've had Fijian longan and thought it was surprisingly good. I say surprising because Morton panned it as an inferior fruit. But i thought they were quite nice, at least fruits from this one tree:
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »
I have not seen them exactly like in your picture Oscar and most here have brighter looking skin/shell and other colors.Some have thicker flesh.Now I have some good seedlings to trade I hope to get the best ones from a farm at cape tribulation this summer (southern).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 04:25:16 AM »
I have not seen them exactly like in your picture Oscar and most here have brighter looking skin/shell and other colors.Some have thicker flesh.Now I have some good seedlings to trade I hope to get the best ones from a farm at cape tribulation this summer (southern).

I've heard from Maurice Kong's article in CRFG magazine about diversity of Pometia pinnata in Australia. Here we only have this one brown type, and even that one is pretty rare. So would love to get some other colored types of pometias. In my experience the seed is extremely perishable, germination quite low, so this might be a real challenge.
Oscar

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
Yes I agree by the literature Pometia is grossly under-rated.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time