Author Topic: Best tasting mango varieties  (Read 6625 times)

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mango varieties
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
Lemon Meringue, Maha Chanok, Yellow Manalagi, Villasenor.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2020, 02:18:27 PM »
I would hate to be the sand in the Vaseline of a Floridian mango appreciation thread but Tommy Atkins, Julie, Keitt and Kent ...really? There is an over representation of Floridians mangoes mentioned. I do wonder just lemon zest and orange sherbet would stack up against KP lines, Maha Chanok, okrung or even the humble NDM in taste tests.

Hey Mike, do you know if anyone in Australia has fruited and of the newer Zill mango varieties yet? It’s definitely not just hype. I’ve eaten many mangos when I visited Thailand and I was also able to eat imported mangos from Australia when I was in Hong Kong and the Zill mangos are just mind blowing. I loved mangos before but once I tasted my first Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, Pina Colada, E4, I became completely obsessed.

I’m not trying to say this country or that country’s mangos are better but I do hope that you guys/gals will be able to sample some of these newer varieties soon. I know some Aussie friends on this forum are growing some of these varieties and I hope they grow and fruit well for you. I would like to hear your honest opinion on these great new varieties once you sample them.

I honestly believe that the Zill family has the potential to disrupt the current high end mango market. Taken to consideration the high end Japanese market that sells the egg of the sun or whatever they call the Irwin mango that sells for top dollar. They use intensive culturing techniques to scientifically grow and baby each mango but their selection of the variety leaves much to be desired.

They would get a big wow factor if they grew Lemon Zest or Sweet Tart instead. With their scientific approach to growing, production and fungal issues should not be an issue.

Simon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »
Simon I am sure the best new Zill's are great and I am most will be here already I suspect. I don't know anyone who has fruited any of those most esteemed ones. I will check with a chum who distributes about 100 varieties. What is marketed in Japan as the best mango in the world may surprise you and it has a stranglehold. The same variety has been marketed in England recently as the best mango in the world also.
http://diamondstaraus.com.au/en/mango.php
[url][https://www.freshplaza.com/article/2182735/au-why-selecting-the-right-variety-of-mango-is-important//url]
I realise the finest mango aficionados on the forum are from Florida and advocate the varieties you mention which must be elite and excellent. By the same token I have looked at reviews on this forum of specific mangoes or even pitangatuba and vexators and then tried the fruit that don't meet expectations. There is obviously a cultural element but sometimes it seems like a parallel universe thing 

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
Is Kingston pride or alphonso the best tasting record holder?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk