Author Topic: harvest time, or wait?  (Read 2235 times)

35ppt

• z7
    • View Profile
harvest time, or wait?
« on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »
I need to know when I can harvest my meiwa kumquat. I got this plant around June this year and am growing in a pot.

My plant has 5 fruit. The first one started turning orange around October. It is now fully orange and has been that way since about the end of November. It’s been growing indoors (60-65F) since about October.

Seems like most people do a taste test to know if they can harvest the rest, but I don’t have enough fruits to experiment with, lol. The other 4 fruits are rather smaller and have just started to color up now. Since they are so small, I’m not sure how good they will even be.

Otherwise, I have read that you are supposed to watch the oils in the skin?? I haven’t watched closely enough, I guess, to notice and difference in the skin, other than color.

How else can I determine when to harvest?

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: harvest time, or wait?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »
I usually eat them when they are orange/yellow and no longer green... I dont grow them but do pick them off a tree here along the sidewalk. Id say when they turn color there good.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
My Meiwa taste great when fully orange/yellow. Mine had a staggered harvest last year with some ripe in February and some in April. This year, many of mine are almost fully ripe now, but some still green.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »
I pick mine when they have completely turned orange, they are always ripe and delicious.

35ppt

• z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
pick when orange, that sounds too easy!
Hopefully I haven't waited too long.

35ppt

• z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »
Well, it was not at all juicy inside, just kind of mealy. But the rind was delicious :)
I bought this plant in June and was not expecting any fruit until next winter, so I am pleased.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
Kumquats aren't real juicy and the peel is supposed to be the sweet part. Meiwa makes think of a citrusy gum ball with a few seeds in it!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
Did you pick it to late?