Author Topic: How to know when to pick green avocados  (Read 1131 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
How to know when to pick green avocados
« on: August 07, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
Hi all. I can’t imagine I’m the first to ask this question but a search turned up nothing. We recently bought a property with mature Pollack and Choquette trees currently fruiting- how can you tell when these guys are ready to pick?? If the answer is already here somewhere by all means pass me the link please! Thanks!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How to know when to pick green avocados
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
I searched Youtube and couldn't find any concrete answer. Most sites I found would give you a range of months when the avocado would be mature based on the variety, then advise you to pick one fruit, let it sit on the counter and if it's ripe then the rest on the tree are fine. If it become rubbery, wait another 2 weeks and try again.

The avocado has shinny skin, one of the forum member told me when the sheen on the skin is gone, it means the avocado is ready. I have my avocado on the tree since May, the forum member told me my avocado (Wurtz) would be ready in October/November, so I guess it's normal to leave fruit on tree for 5-6 months.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:48:30 PM »
If you leave them on long enough, the squirrels will tell you when they are ready.

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies! We have few squirrels around here and they don’t seem interested in the avocados. (Our dogs and cats most definitely are!) I thought we still had a few months to go but they’ve started dropping and we’re finding some that are ripening fine off the tree, while others still seem very green. I guess trial and error and experience!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »
Good for you. Trial and experience. I have at least 6-8 varieties so am working through the same issues. Almost popped the squirrel today....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk