Author Topic: Maximum distance for pollination ( male & female trees )  (Read 1584 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Maximum distance for pollination ( male & female trees )
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »
I have one female Garcinia livingstonei - Imbe that produces a zillion of flowers every year , no fruit except the first year when I bought the tree ( was flowering at that time ) , we found the seedlings from these fruits and I want to plant these in the new lot hoping there's a male between them .

The distance between the female and new seedlings will be about 20 meters with a 3 meter wall between them , will this work ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum distance for pollination ( male & female trees )
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »
Do you know how pollination occurs?  If it is by insect, this is surely close enough.

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »
Yes, imbe flowers are frequented by bees and other insects.  So even if they are a mile apart it could be close enough. Certainly twenty metres is nothing to a bee.  Methinks you're all set...

Jhomanaois

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »
Same in my mango trees i am using zinc foliar to correct the curling of leaves...

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
I gave a Imbe seedling to a friend and there are no imbes within 20 miles probably, and this one sets fruit on it's own. At my place my 10 foot, 12 year old Imbe produces a zillion flowers also and I get no fruit set. I even grafted a female and one of my friends scions to my tree and still no fruit. Good luck Luc. The good news is I grafted one of your Luc's Mangosteens to one of the new growths coming up from the big tree and the Luc's after almost a year and a half is 4 feet. So, I may be top working the non-productive Imbe with more Luc's.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:54:25 PM by marklee »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk