Author Topic: Low-chill deciduous budwood from the CA scion exchanges  (Read 2783 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Low-chill deciduous budwood from the CA scion exchanges
« on: January 07, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
To all CA grafters:

January is the month for scion exchanges in the Southwest. I am a CRFG member (AZRFG - Arizona Chapter) and will be going to our local scion exchange on Jan 30 (https://www.facebook.com/events/919431738135836/). It is in Mesa and it is open to the public, you do not have to be a CRFG member to participate.

However all the scion exchanges in California will have access to a much better selection of scions than we will have. And I was wondering if anyone going to these events might be on the lookout for some of the scions I am interested in below.

Chuck put up a list of the CA scion exchange dates and locations: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/gardening/cfrg-scion-exchange-2016-dates-and-locations-t6297.html

Thanks!

Plums
Methley
Burgundy
Satsuma
Beauty
Burbank
Hollywood
Mariposa

Peaches
Babcock
Tropic Snow
August Pride
Desert Gold
Earligrande
Mid-Pride
Red Baron
Eva's Pride
June Pride
July (Kim) Elberta

Persimmon
Chocolate
Coffee Cake

Pomegranates
Parfianka
Angel Red
Gissarskii Rozovyi
Medovyi Vahsha
- Mark

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Low-chill deciduous budwood from the CA scion exchanges
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »
I'll keep an eye out for them. I'm going to a few of them including the big one in OC. I don't know much about stone fruits though since I don't grow any at the moment.

I've seen Burgundy plum and Tropic Snow. There are 3 "Snow" cultivars that one person brings each year.

I'm sure there's Parfianka and Angel Red since I see them often. I have Desertnyi if you want it. I gave the plant to a friend and now it's a small tree. It was rated well at the AZ festival of fruit in I think 2011.

Not too sure which persimmons are available. Probably OC exchange will have some if I can get there early enough. One year I grafted a dozen varieties on 2 trees and they all took. Then the trees got stressed and died back to the trunk the next year. The chocolate branch flowered but were all male I think. None of them set. I like the stacked look of the 'tamopan'. I heard the PVNA ones are better tasting. Coffee cake I think is one of them.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:20:12 AM by fyliu »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »
Thanks fyliu, I appreciate that man!

I already have Desertnyi, but thanks for the offer!

Yeah, Coffee Cake is supposed to be one of the best cultivars out there (never tried it, but I want to!) but it needs a pollenizer. And Chocolate is the best pollenizer for it. I would love to graft both onto my Izu.

I'll keep an eye out for them. I'm going to a few of them including the big one in OC. I don't know much about stone fruits though since I don't grow any at the moment.

I've seen Burgundy plum and Tropic Snow. There are 3 "Snow" cultivars that one person brings each year.

I'm sure there's Parfianka and Angel Red since I see them often. I have Desertnyi if you want it. I gave the plant to a friend and now it's a small tree. It was rated well at the AZ festival of fruit in I think 2011.

Not too sure which persimmons are available. Probably OC exchange will have some if I can get there early enough. One year I grafted a dozen varieties on 2 trees and they all took. Then the trees got stressed and died back to the trunk the next year. The chocolate branch flowered but were all male I think. None of them set. I like the stacked look of the 'tamopan'. I heard the PVNA ones are better tasting. Coffee cake I think is one of them.
- Mark

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 01:43:32 AM »
I forgot about this. I still have some pomegranate cuttings in the fridge if you're interested. Not sure if they're still good. Lots of names I can't pronounce but they are all good quality from what I could find on the web.

I potted up all the varieties and they're growing leaves now. Hopefully there are roots.

Not many persimmons this year. I put the stone fruits onto some friends' trees. I can get scions later if they survive.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »
I forgot about this. I still have some pomegranate cuttings in the fridge if you're interested. Not sure if they're still good. Lots of names I can't pronounce but they are all good quality from what I could find on the web.

I potted up all the varieties and they're growing leaves now. Hopefully there are roots.

Not many persimmons this year. I put the stone fruits onto some friends' trees. I can get scions later if they survive.

Awesome thanks! I just sent you a PM, but yes, I would love to have any pomegranate cuttings you have extra of!

Yeah, all my pomegranate cuttings are leafing out now too. Putting on some nice growth too!

Awesome, that would be great, thanks!
- Mark