Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528713 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #825 on: April 17, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »
Check at night. I'm going to check tonight too.

Took a thorough look at both trees and didn't find any insects that might be the culprits.  I have to agree with Cookie Monster on this, at least for my trees:  new growth followed by some rains, resulting in a fungus. 
Should I let 'em be and let nature take over?  Or should I cut off the affected growth to help inspire new growth?  If so, where to make the cut?
Jeff  :-)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 17, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
Check at night. I'm going to check tonight too.

Took a thorough look at both trees and didn't find any insects that might be the culprits.  I have to agree with Cookie Monster on this, at least for my trees:  new growth followed by some rains, resulting in a fungus. 
Should I let 'em be and let nature take over?  Or should I cut off the affected growth to help inspire new growth?  If so, where to make the cut?

I even saw those small insects... prolly size of a human lice..... light grey color but not a leadhopper

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 17, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »
Maybe Psilids?
Har

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 17, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »
has anyone tried grinding up redwood pines to use as pesticides?

I did any experiment yesterday by applying to my mango tree that has little white scales. I grind the pine needles in a blender and rub it onto the mango tree. So far, it's to early to know if it will come back.  Good thing about this is that it's natural as the redwood tree I have do not have any kind of insects on them at all. 

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 18, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »
has anyone tried grinding up redwood pines to use as pesticides?

I did any experiment yesterday by applying to my mango tree that has little white scales. I grind the pine needles in a blender and rub it onto the mango tree. So far, it's to early to know if it will come back.  Good thing about this is that it's natural as the redwood tree I have do not have any kind of insects on them at all.

Interesting. It may have an effect because of the smell that may repel pests (perhaps even squirrels)..

In fact, i use laurel leaves where cockroaches are.. They dont return as long as the laurel leaf still there..

There are many natural stuff in nature that can be used instead of buying the products...

Since this was broughten up, I will do an experiment to use carolina reaper peppers  on some of my trees are heavily infested (aphids, and etc)

ChristineMessner

• ChristineMessner
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 18, 2017, 03:27:49 AM »
I'm not sure what type of eggs they are, but I would get a napkin and wipe them off.

maybe the ordinary eggs would do...

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 02, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
I believe I may be overwatering my newly potted mango plants because I notice the tip of the leaves are brown.  I'm still learning the right amount of water they need, but I was watering every other day.  The issue is easily observed with my Pina Colada, and Honey Kiss, but I noticed it on my Fairchild and Maha Chanok too (Pickering seems to be fine though).  The 1st pic is the Pina Colada.  The following 2 pics are of the Honey Kiss with one of them showing the new growth with the brown tips.  Does it look like a case of too much love for the trees?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 03, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
The second and third pictures remind me of "mouse ear" in Pecans, due to lack of Urease Enzyme to fully process urea--- un-utilized urea accumulates in the tips of the pecan leaves and kills the cells there.  Nickel is the central atom of urease, so when there is Nickel deficiency, urease can't be made.  Though Nickel has long been dreaded as a poisenous heavy metal contaminant, many plants actually need just a trace of it--- even less than is needed of Molybdenum.

I'm not aware of anyone's having studied Nickel in Mango trees, so I am speculating about relevancy here.

You can get some Nickel by applying Seaweed Extracts, or by using fertilizers containing Nickel "contaminant."  Find out which by visiting Washington State's specialized website for heavy metals in fertilizers.

Avoid using any fertilizer containing Urea.

Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 03, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
The second and third pictures remind me of "mouse ear" in Pecans, due to lack of Urease Enzyme to fully process urea--- un-utilized urea accumulates in the tips of the pecan leaves and kills the cells there.  Nickel is the central atom of urease, so when there is Nickel deficiency, urease can't be made.  Though Nickel has long been dreaded as a poisenous heavy metal contaminant, many plants actually need just a trace of it--- even less than is needed of Molybdenum.

I'm not aware of anyone's having studied Nickel in Mango trees, so I am speculating about relevancy here.

You can get some Nickel by applying Seaweed Extracts, or by using fertilizers containing Nickel "contaminant."  Find out which by visiting Washington State's specialized website for heavy metals in fertilizers.

Avoid using any fertilizer containing Urea.

I think you're spot on.  The majority of the medium in the pots is roughly 60% Fafard 3, 20% Premium Fafard Organic Compost, and 20% Fox Farm Happy Frog.  I did some additional research and the fertilizer in Fox Farm Happy Frog contains urea, so that's probably what's causing it.

To correct it, I bought https://drearth.com/products/liquid-fertilizers/100-natural-seaweed-extract/, that should work right?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:15:41 PM by FlMikey »

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 07, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
I am loaded with this on just about all my mango trees, it seems to coincide with low fruit pruduction.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 07, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
I don't think its lac scale as it is not symmetrical.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 10, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
My V. Pride potted mango has bark problem Braun bark with small ctacks. I sprayed twice with Cooper Ox. Chloride.
It seems not to spead further. Any idea what is it? Fungal attack?

Mike

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 10, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:57:40 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 10, 2017, 05:26:26 PM »
STRKPR00, when one magnifies the picture, one can see four distinct lobes:  Lobate Lac Scale.

Hey Har.  Are you sure about this being lobate lac scale?  I have this on some of my trees and it looks more like an algae or fungus.  I definitely have comparison because the lobate lac seems to enjoy some of my carambola, miracle fruit, and nearby native cocoplums.
- Marley

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 10, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
I guess I was seeing what I wanted to see in the fuzzy image.   Yes it does look like algal or fungal growth, probably red algae.   Sprays with soap or oil or copper, not all at once. should eventually clear that up.
Har

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 17, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »
Can someone tell me what's going on with the leaves on my Fruit Punch mango tree. I have had it in 7 gallon nursery pot for over a year and I plan on stepping it up this weekend.
Some of the new growth looks fine then other leaves are curling and drying up. Out of the ten varieties of mangoes I have this is only happening to the FP mango tree.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
Can someone tell me what's going on with the leaves on my Fruit Punch mango tree. I have had it in 7 gallon nursery pot for over a year and I plan on stepping it up this weekend.
Some of the new growth looks fine then other leaves are curling and drying up. Out of the ten varieties of mangoes I have this is only happening to the FP mango tree.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That looks like the new growth that gets fry during Santa Ana's here in SoCal. Do you spray roundup around your trees?

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 17, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
No roundup around my house. The strange thing is it's only happening to the FP and there are other mango trees next to it.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 17, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
No roundup around my house. The strange thing is it's only happening to the FP and there are other mango trees next to it.
That's funny my FP looks crappy I wonder if it's some weird pathogen to this variety

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 17, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
Perhaps some pathogen is clogging the xylem?

It would be a good idea to send these pictures to the University of Florida Extension Service at TREC.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:08 PM »
Perhaps some pathogen is clogging the xylem?

It would be a good idea to send these pictures to the University of Florida Extension Service at TREC.

I think I have Randy Ploetz's email at the office.
- Rob

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 13, 2017, 10:11:11 PM »
Checked this whole thread and couldn't find my problem.

Just purchased a 7 gallon Venus from a local nursery- i think it might have been a little neglected, but it was my only option for this variety. My question is it has several ulcerated gray areas on the leaves, some of which have flaked away. It doesn't seem to be affecting the health of the tree, but then again, I've only had it for 3 days and its only been in the ground for 2. Seems more pest related than disease, but then again I'm no Har or Rob or anybody else with experience.

If you enlarge the second image you can see scattered spots on other leaves as well.

Muchas Gracias

-Casey

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 13, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »
Maybe it fell over against something hot?
Har

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 14, 2017, 11:25:26 AM »
I suppose anything is possible Har. Ultimately if you're not worried about it than neither am I. Not to mention fruit is still 1-2 years in the future, and I'd rather not spray a tree while it is establishing unless necessary.

Thanks!
-Casey