Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

"Southern" Pawpaw Source?

(1/4) > >>

HibachiDrama:
It seems as though Just Fruits and Exotics is all out of pawpaws, are there any other good sources for Florida/Gainesville/"Southern" varieties? I've got a small Mango and Shenandoah from Logees, but would like to acquire a few others.

Triloba Tracker:

--- Quote from: HibachiDrama on March 01, 2019, 05:22:04 PM ---It seems as though Just Fruits and Exotics is all out of pawpaws, are there any other good sources for Florida/Gainesville/"Southern" varieties? I've got a small Mango and Shenandoah from Logees, but would like to acquire a few others.

--- End quote ---

Mango I believe is the only mainstream variety I’ve seen purporting to do well in the south.
The way I see it, then, the source of your trees is immaterial.
I have had bad luck with bare root mail order pawpaws but my experience is limited to 2 trees. I probably didn’t do them any favors by crowding the roots and not shading them, however.
The trees were very large and healthy - Nolin River Nursery in Kentucky.
Hidden Springs Nursery in TN has been doing pawpaws for a long time. They probably have the brand new KSU Chappell if you ask. Highly recommend this one. I have not ordered through the mail from them but local pickup. Good grafts and good roots.
G2gardens.com (Missouri) sells trees from Forest Keeling which uses a root pruning method and I believe ships with the potting medium intact, which would be ideal. One Green World is way out in Oregon but I assume does similar method. They have the new Peterson cultivar.
Keep us posted!

How are your trees from Logees doing?

HibachiDrama:
Thanks for the reply Triloba. Just Fruits and Exotics had a selection of "low chill" pawpaws, some supposedly bred by a guy in Gainesville, FL (but I can't find any other source regarding him on google), which is why I asked. I only get 200-500 chill hours where I'm at, so wanted to ensure I got something that'd actually fruit.

The trees from Logees were shipped in very deep pots, grew a bit after repotted them into 1G's, and defoliated late in the fall (Shenandoah before Mango). They appear to have swelling leaf buds right now. I was afraid when my Shenandoah defoliated that it had died, so I scratched a branch after a few months and it was still green.

I figured if I couldn't find something explicitly "southern", I'd buy some cheap seeds (mango?) or seedlings (Willis Orchard in GA ~$7?) and roll the dice.

Triloba Tracker:

--- Quote from: HibachiDrama on March 05, 2019, 03:50:54 PM ---Thanks for the reply Triloba. Just Fruits and Exotics had a selection of "low chill" pawpaws, some supposedly bred by a guy in Gainesville, FL (but I can't find any other source regarding him on google), which is why I asked. I only get 200-500 chill hours where I'm at, so wanted to ensure I got something that'd actually fruit.

The trees from Logees were shipped in very deep pots, grew a bit after repotted them into 1G's, and defoliated late in the fall (Shenandoah before Mango). They appear to have swelling leaf buds right now. I was afraid when my Shenandoah defoliated that it had died, so I scratched a branch after a few months and it was still green.

I figured if I couldn't find something explicitly "southern", I'd buy some cheap seeds (mango?) or seedlings (Willis Orchard in GA ~$7?) and roll the dice.

--- End quote ---

Interesting! I've not heard of anyone in Gainesville who had worked with pawpaw. Of course, that doesn't mean much.
I have not heard much discussion of low-chill pawpaw varieties outside of "Mango" as I mentioned. So i wish i could help more. I will ask around perhaps.

That's good to know logees had them in deep pots. Most folks say pawpaw needs to be allowed to grow that 12-14 inch taproot, but a few nurseries are convinced otherwise. I have not seen long-term effects of non-taprooted pawpaws. I guess I will find out in a few years with the tree i ordered from One Green World. Certainly when i grow them myself, I use the 14 inch Treepots.

Yes certainly in their native range the plants are deciduous. I have read that they require 400 chill hours, if I recall correctly (quick google search or visit to pawpaw.ksu.edu would verify).

Seedlings from warm-climate-grown fruit might not be a bad idea but of course who knows what the quality would be.

forumfool:
Peaceful heritage nursery in Tennessee has many types

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version