Author Topic: After-care for tree that dropped its leaves  (Read 1059 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
After-care for tree that dropped its leaves
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:34:11 PM »
One of my trees is dropping its leaves due to fungal infection, chemical burn, or a combination of both.

I was wondering if it would be helpful to give it a little nitrogen, thinking that it may need help regrowing all those leaves.

Is this advisable, or is there even something else that would help?

Of course, i could do nothing....

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: After-care for tree that dropped its leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:25:18 PM »
Its a bad idea to give it extra nitrogen until it starts to grow new leaves.What type of tree it is?And did you burned it with  the neem oil?

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 03:31:46 PM »
Its a bad idea to give it extra nitrogen until it starts to grow new leaves.What type of tree it is?And did you burned it with  the neem oil?

Asimina triloba....I think it was a combination of neem extract followed a few days later with captan.  :o Live and learn  :-\

It's not lost all its leaves (yet?) and it's still actively growing.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »
I think it was the oil.It happened to somme of my trees last year when i treated them against aphids with oil and dishwashing detergent mixed in water.If it growing actively you could give it somme fertiliser and Asimina really likes a rich soil.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
I think it was the oil.It happened to somme of my trees last year when i treated them against aphids with oil and dishwashing detergent mixed in water.If it growing actively you could give it somme fertiliser and Asimina really likes a rich soil.

Thanks for the input ....I had used the neem extract for a few weeks with no apparent issues. Wasn't a problem until i used the captan.
However, there's a slight chance it could just be rapid advancement of the fungus (Diplocarpon).

But at any rate - was just wondering about trying to give it some fuel to reduce stress on the plant and its reserve energy.

Would use an organic nitrogen source to reduce potential of adverse affects.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 04:11:14 PM »
A week ago ive used fresh cow manure diluted with water 50/50 on all of my paw paws wich i spread in a circle around them no too close to the trunks.Use that chamomille tea if you have fungal problems,its really efficient ,organic and harmless for plants.