Author Topic: Grumichama fruit set  (Read 3103 times)

dmouthhog

• Palmetto Bay
    • View Profile
Grumichama fruit set
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
Hello all,

I have a 3 yr old grumichama and it's not setting fruit well.  Last year it put out about 25 flowers, 1 fruit set and fell off before maturity.  This year, it has put out about 60 flowers and fruit set is non-existent at this point.  I'm curious, has anyone tried hand pollinating a grumichama and if so, how is it done? 

Thanks!

Marty

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Grumichama fruit set
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »
I have been eating grumichama for the past two weeks. I have two plants that
produce yellow fruit and one that produces reddish/black fruit and one that is flowering for
the first time now. Are you watering good? And when the fruit first sets it is hard to see.
My two yellow plants are around 7 feet and produced allot more fruit then last year. I tried
freezing 3 whole baggies full for the first time. I read it is possible and taste like fresh when thawed?
My reddish/black fruit tree also produced more fruit then last year, it actually produced
some fruit that was as big as a golfball and had about 15 seeds per fruit, I didn't know grumichama
did this but it is a smaller tree about 3 feet. Since I have a total of 4 trees I am not sure how much
cross pollination helped with fruit set. I do have a 4th plant flowering heavily for the first time now.
Last year it flowered a little but no fruit set? I will know soon if it sets fruit without  cross pollination.
I have never hand pollinated and I see bees all over the flowers especially in the morning. I have a
feeling you will do better each year. Three years is a very young tree.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
water water water. It has been very dry. I would say it is ideal to deep water every day. I have three planted side by side to make a privacy hedge. The first one flowered over a month ago and only has a few fruit left most likely because I haven't been water every single day. One is in somewhat heavy bloom now and I left the hose on it for 30 minutes before I left for work this morning. Give it some heavy mulch and sulfur if your ph is in the high 6's or higher.
-Josh

dmouthhog

• Palmetto Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 03:45:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  I thought I'd been giving it enough water by deep watering it every third day or so, but it sounds like that probably isn't enough.  The blooms look a little desiccated.  You're right, it has been very dry.  I just threw down a fair bit of sulpher, but that's probably too late as well.  Hopefully I get a Miami thunderstorm in the next few days as I'm out of town all weekend! 

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »
Is the bush in full sun?    I have a pretty old bush (about 6 feet tall) that use to produce a good amount of fruit. But, since all my other OCD planting has overgrown it and now it is in partial shade.  I haven't seen any fruit in a couple years.  And, yes, the plant needs water.  I find they are semi-drought tolerant. Much more so than a jaboticaba. But, they really do need water this time of year (Florida dry season).  good luck!

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
Yes it's hard to give a grumichama too much water

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 02:56:40 AM »
An update on my fourth grumichama tree that just flowered

0 fruit set!
I guess having multiple trees is very important for successful fruit set.

Mike

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:53:18 AM »
An update on my fourth grumichama tree that just flowered

0 fruit set!
I guess having multiple trees is very important for successful fruit set.

Mike
Eugenias are self pollinating. I doubt lack of other trees is reason you're not getting fruit. More likely your plants are just not old enough to support fruit set, and that is the reason they are aborting flowers.
Oscar

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »

[/quote]
Eugenias are self pollinating. I doubt lack of other trees is reason you're not getting fruit. More likely your plants are just not old enough to support fruit set, and that is the reason they are aborting flowers.
[/quote]

My first 3 trees flowered and they all set heavy fruit, my fourth tree flowered afterwards and no fruit.
It is not a young tree.
Oscar don't you love when the book says one thing and the trees do something else. I also have a lone COR
that has been flowering non stop since last year and it only fruits one or two for every 25 flowers.
Echo has a single COR for over 15 years old and it barely sets fruit. It flowers like crazy but barely any fruit.
I have a small COR I added and we'll see in a few years if it helps fruit set with my large tree.

dmouthhog

• Palmetto Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
Update - I began increasing the volume and frequency of the watering I was doing on the tree and today walked out to find a deep red fruit!  It must have been camoflauged amongst the leaves prior to maturation.  My first fruit from this tree and pretty tasty.  Looks like patience is a virtue with these guys!