Poll

What is the type of pest control you use on your fruiting trees?

Biological
1 (7.1%)
Chemical
1 (7.1%)
Organic
2 (14.3%)
A Mixture
7 (50%)
None!
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 13, 2012, 01:22:16 AM

Author Topic: What type of pest control do you use?  (Read 8405 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
What type of pest control do you use?
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:22:16 AM »
A question that seems to arise but not everyone replies to often!

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What type of pest control do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
Talk about the need for pest control, my lychee and longan trees are under constant unrelenting attack from scale insects. Horticultural oils have been unsuccessful. I have resorted to spraying malathion on my lychees and longan, and an initial 1st dousing STILL didn't kill all the scales. I've learned that one of the most important things in controlling scales is controlling the ant population (they farm the scale insects).  I'm not sure why I've read that malathion is not suitable for lychees and longans...it doesn't seem to affect them. However, when I spray I always water the trees well, spray in the evening (malathion is phyto-toxic) and I never spray new growth. I've attached a pic of scales on my Kohala longan...so you can see the battle I'm facing.

Best,
Blue Palm
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:24:54 PM »
For in-ground trees, I'd just ignore the scale problem. It's seasonal and 'usually' doesn't harm the tree in any significant way. There was one year where a massive scale infestation did cause some damage to my carambola, defoliating the tree and killing off tender shoots. However, for the most part, the trees can deal with it. There's no really "good" pesticide to use. Oils burn the tender growth and malathion / sevin cause collateral damage. And, systemics are obviously a bad idea for fruit trees :-).

For trees that I'm selling, I have to break down and use some form of pest control (usually sevin). But I try to spray it over a concrete surface to minimize environmental impact.

Jeff
Jeff  :-)

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
You're right; I sprayed Volck oil on my longans and lychees one year and they didn't like it. I have to control these scales because they cover 100% of the plant and I have massive sooty mold problems and chlorotic leaves and subsequent leaf drop.  I have never seen scales like I have at this property. Relentless!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »
BluePalm,
I have a similar sooty mold, scale, chlorotic leaves and leaf drop problem with an Excalibur sapodilla I planted last year. The tree was looking fine until about 2 months ago when I noticed the chlorosis and then a month ago I noticed the ants and scale and now there is the sooty mold from the scale. I did an iron foliar and drench and the chlorisis is starting to go away. For the ants I used amdro and I hope to get rid of the scale and sooty mold with biowash soap. Let me know what works for you.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
Hi guys, great forum! Is malathion safe to use? I have too many trees close together and my worse nightmare is a serious insect infestation.

JF

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
Right now I'm not using any pest control beyond crushing the leaf notchers/weevils when I pick them off the leaves of my trees, which I usually check on a daily basis. Fortunately I really have not encountered any other pests that have caused problems though.

I'm planning on getting some chickens and am hoping they will help in the war against the weevils and other potential unwanted pests.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
As a follow up my Kohala longan dropped a bunch of heavily infested leaves that had been sprayed about 2 weeks prior, BUT we also had temps down to 29 recently.  So I'm unsure what to think. I do remember that 2 years ago when we had a nasty cold snap my Kohala also shed a bunch of infested leaves (and they hadn't been sprayed).

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »
If you want to avoid synthetics, try Organicide or Neem Oil. Mix either up in a sprayer and add a few drops of Canola oil from your kitchen. Always apply in the evening. Also, the more chlorotic your trees are, the more the bugs and diseases attack them. Also, trees in heavy shade also get more sooty mold and bugs. Keep your trees as healthy as you can to avoid pest problems.
FloridaGreenMan

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »
For anything which can't easily hop, walk or fly away, I'd also recommend neem oil or horticultural oil (NOT Volck-- almost everything I've ever tried that on has been damaged.  Get a "refined paraffin oil" brand like SunSpray).  The trick is to be thorough-- very, very thorough in covering every spot on the plant with spray, and avoid direct sunlight for 1-4 days, depending on plant "tenderness". 

For the larger, 4-legged fruit pests (raccoons are a problem in my yard, helping themselves to fruit, sushi and escargot; squirrels can also be a nuisance) I've found that putting out containers with a little ammonia in them (about 1/4 cup a day) keeps most 4-legged critters out of my yard.

Kevin

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
For anything which can't easily hop, walk or fly away, I'd also recommend neem oil or horticultural oil (NOT Volck-- almost everything I've ever tried that on has been damaged.  Get a "refined paraffin oil" brand like SunSpray).  The trick is to be thorough-- very, very thorough in covering every spot on the plant with spray, and avoid direct sunlight for 1-4 days, depending on plant "tenderness". 

For the larger, 4-legged fruit pests (raccoons are a problem in my yard, helping themselves to fruit, sushi and escargot; squirrels can also be a nuisance) I've found that putting out containers with a little ammonia in them (about 1/4 cup a day) keeps most 4-legged critters out of my yard.

Kevin

Wow. Didn't know that. So its the ammonia smell that repels critters such as squirrels?
Alexi

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
The ammonia smell is like concentrated predator urine (large cat, wolf, etc.), but much cheaper and seemingly more effective than the commercially-available predator-urine-based repellants.

My lot is about 8000 square feet and just two containers, each with about 1/4 cup of ammonia, seem to keep all the raccoons, rabbits and squirrels off of my lot.  I have had a plague of rabbits as many of my neighbors feed them over the winter, leading to an unnaturally-high population density.  (Ever tripped over a "wild" rabbit?  I have.)  But they won't come within 50 feet or so of the ammonia containers.  It's worked amazingly well for me for 8 years, except when I forget to refill the containers for a couple days.

There have been a couple squirrels that didn't seem to be phased by the ammonia, but a squirt gun full of habanero puree (a few spicy Habaneros and a cup of water in a blender) can be used to apply a few drops to the offender-- I've never had one come back after a second squirting.  For those feeling sorry for the Colorado squirrels, let me assure you that I have tested this on myself [accidentally and completely unintentionally] multiple times [you'd think I would learn!] and I can assure you that after a couple hours of having your eyes swell shut, you start feeling much better.  Plus, I've planted pinion pine trees nearby for the squirrels to enjoy, away from my yard.

Kevin

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:07:11 PM by CoPlantNut »

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
Revive!!!

Instead of re-posting this question. I have revived this thread. I'm looking for something to treat my fruit plants with before I put them in the garage for the winter. My plants seem to be doing well however, there are lots of bugs crawling in the pots. I specifically have a butt load (lots!! o them!!) of these little white bugs crawling about under the mulch in my pots. I don't want these bugs moving into my house from the garage or invite something like termites or other home invading insect to my home.

What do you guys/gals use to treat insects in or on your fruit plants?

Thanks

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
These are the bugs I'm talking about. They are everywhere. Plants are healthy so I don't knew if they are good it bad.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 02:39:40 AM »
Those are just subterranean termites.  They won't cause any harm to your trees, they just want to eat the mulch.

You might want to keep an eye on your home, especially if it's wood frame.  Maybe get an annual inspection by a pro, many companies will do it for free, not because they're nice guys, they hope you have them of course.  If you don't have termites, they'll want to sell you a home protection plan that includes regular spraying for ants, etc.  Most of these plans are a pretty good deal.

NOTE:  If they try to convince you that your home needs a "preventive termite treatment" Kick their asses off your property. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 03:07:53 AM »
That's not good. What can I use to kill them around my house? I'd spray or do whatever to kill them around the perimeter of my house? What can I use in my pots?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 04:57:15 AM »
There's little that you personally can do around the house, it really takes a professional treatment to kill them or keep them out of your house.  The over the counter stuff is mostly crap.  Fipronil (Termidor) is what the best pros use, but it has to be injected into the soil around your house to form a barrier.  Chances are, they won't end up in your house.  Termites are everywhere, especially in FL and I assume in most of TX. 

Honestly, they rarely will bother anything living, so your trees are most likely OK.  In the wild, they are a beneficial insect, it's just in your home that they're undesirable to put it mildly. 

In the top picture, see the one with a huge brownish head?  That's a soldier, its job of course is to protect the workers, mostly from ants.  The small white ones are workers. 

If you're really that worried, then you can get a preventive treatment.  Just call around for pricing, be careful with the big guys like Terminix, they can really take you for a ride.  If you can find a smaller independent operator, I always prefer working with them for stuff like this.  Check Angie's List, stay away from Home Advisor!!  Depending on the size of your home, you're probably looking at around $1,500 for a preventive treatment. 

Or like I said, sign up on a quarterly contract with a good independent pest control company, have them inspect your home at least annually, then just treat as/if needed.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »
i use an essential oil blend.
i also keep lots of flowering plants nearby.
my Myers lemon +other citrus get hit by leaf miners regularly.
chemicals do nothing at all.
essential oil works to disrupt the cycle, but you have to spray it on every few days.
especially if it rains.

ever since i planted a few milkweed plants
the aphids have attacked the milkweed
and left my other plants alone.
also i see lots of ladybugs and other predators around.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »
I have planted a lot of native annual wildflowers that have ecological function the beneficial insects native to my area.  I don't spray anything and usually most issues resolve themselves given a little time.  I currently have whitefly and scale on a couple of things, particularly those in my greenhouse, and that's mainly done by mechanical control (squishing or spraying with high power water). 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

McNolan

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 08:30:55 AM »
spammer
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:50:16 PM by JakeFruit »