Author Topic: Avocados in containers?  (Read 3855 times)

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
Avocados in containers?
« on: August 04, 2019, 03:31:56 AM »
I've read over a dozen threads via search but they all deal with the idea of avocados in containers tangentially.  I also read Dr John Yoshimi Yonemoto's presentations.  So I want to make things explicit.

What's the smallest container Wurtz would fruit in?  What's the smallest container Reed would fruit in?  I have a lot of LED panel light in the winter so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks!

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Avocados in containers?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:20:33 AM »
I have mine in a 20 gallon pot in my greenhouse.  It is pretty young, but it bloomed this year and seems happy.  It only set on a couple of fruit, so I am hoping for next year.

Carolyn

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Size matters and what are your goals just a few fruit to play with or as many fruit as you can get? If you have the space 25 to 50 gallon and use lots of pumice in mix for long term root health

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 12:00:30 AM »
    Mark from Texas who posts on this board grows avocado trees in rootbuilder pots and you can make them as large as you want. I’m experimenting with some trees that I picked up from Maddock ranch nursery in the plastic sleeves and planted into the 15 gallon tall pots painted on the inside with micro kote  I’m thinking that by next year they can go into a 24 inch box or larger. I planted them in Gary’s top pot mix and so far they are looking good.

William

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »
Bill if you want to mix your own top pot mix its not hard to do and if you ever get up to fresno much my sister will likely sell her extra PUMICE , i delivered her alot just in may im sure she will sell it lower than nurserys sell it for.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:57:26 PM by Avoman »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 07:55:27 PM »
    Mark from Texas who posts on this board grows avocado trees in rootbuilder pots and you can make them as large as you want. I’m experimenting with some trees that I picked up from Maddock ranch nursery in the plastic sleeves and planted into the 15 gallon tall pots painted on the inside with micro kote  I’m thinking that by next year they can go into a 24 inch box or larger. I planted them in Gary’s top pot mix and so far they are looking good.

William

Mark uses bottomless pots so it’s more like planting directly in ground in a raised bed.

Simon

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 09:41:44 PM »
45 gallon pots will give you a good size tree that will give you enough fruit to feed a small family. My friend has three such trees, he just prunes it every year to maintain size.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 11:55:12 PM »
If you are really serious about growing a avocado tree in a pot then I suggest that you look into amaroo boxes sold by urbanboxgardens.com  in Duarte Ca.  The 36 inch box is equivalent to a 125 gallon pot . They hold slightly over 1 yard of soil.

William

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
    Avoman

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have thought about mixing my own Soil mix copying Gary's recipe for the simple fact that I'm 3 hours from his nursery. I would need to find a source for the charcoal but other than that it shouldn't be too hard. I have a cement mixer that I bought just for this purpose. I would be interested in the pumice when I get ready to start mixing. I have around 20 bags that I need to use up first though.

William

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »

Mark uses bottomless pots so it’s more like planting directly in ground in a raised bed.

Simon

True, more like a raised bed.  BUT, I sell RootBuilder by the panels to folks who make them up into 10-40 gal. pots and move them indoors during the winter.  One guy has his on homemade carts using galv. pipe as a push handle and large swivel 6" wheels.  Rootmaker sells fabric bottoms or you can design your own bottom.  You pot up in the spring and by fall the fabric bottoms will be locked in by the root system.  Me?  I'd just go with big fabric pots.

This fuzzy picture shows a huge old tree in a RootBuilder that must be 20' diameter.

Cantor, don't do Reed.  It's too vigorous for your setup.  I'm doing everything I can to keep that monster down to 12' X 12' and it was a frozen back stub after a heater failure Jan. 2018.  In 7 months it grew to 10'.  Of course it had the benefit of massive root system created by the RootBuilder system.  All my trees get is Osmocote and rainwater....when we have it!

You'll be better off spending your time on quality compacts like GEM and Pinkerton.  Both of mine are very manageable.  Wurtz fruit is said to be fair to good but it's a weepy tree rather than upright.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7511.msg96609#msg96609

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
I use 2 drills to keep my trees compact - pruning and Bonzi, a PGR.  Here's a ditty on it's use. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/030442389090073N

Expensive but worth it especially on leggy mangos that have long internodes.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »
Bill are you planting avo in pots for resale if your in visalia why do you not plant in ground ,a Nabal would prob die outside if no frost protection ..
...my sister mainly has hers in pots because she plans to move down the road, shes getting a pretty good rare avo collection in case your looking for any rare types

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 05:58:09 PM »
  Avoman

I’m growing them in pots for two reasons first reason is that my yard is out of space and the other reason is that I’m retiring in a few mor years and if California continues going koo koo for coco puffs then I probably going to get out of dodge. My sister lives in Idaho and I love it up there. They still have some common sense in their local government. I would take the trees with me when I move.

William

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
  Avoman

I’m growing them in pots for two reasons first reason is that my yard is out of space and the other reason is that I’m retiring in a few mor years and if California continues going koo koo for coco puffs then I probably going to get out of dodge. My sister lives in Idaho and I love it up there. They still have some common sense in their local government. I would take the trees with me when I move.

William

Funny you should mention California and Idaho.  FOX news interviewed a Silicon Valley high tech pro yesterday. Subject was the liberal California govt. instituting a new payroll tax on high tech industry, on Silicon Valley.  Their wisdom is that yes, this industry brings good paying jobs but with it comes congestion, inflated housing prices, etc. which local and state govts. must deal with, so they need more money.  ;)  Some of that is true as Austin who is also high tech is now a shithole of traffic, congestion and the homeless.

What's interesting and mentioned in that interview is apparently Boise and other areas are experiencing a boom. 

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/tech-ipo-boom-will-even-price-out-the-wealthy-from-san-francisco

Good luck!

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 05:55:22 PM »
    Mark

Yep I moved to California in 1983 and it really was the golden state back then and there were good paying jobs everywhere . I’ve been watching over the last 36 years how this state has went to shi- , and I don’t see anything getting better anytime soon. The same crony politicians keep getting elected ( I have my theory on how that keeps happening too )  so nothing is going to change. I don’t really want to leave because there are things that I really love about living here but when I see year after year the same problems never getting resolved I have to wonder how people can be so stupid to continue voting for the same useless politicians who never even attempt to solve any problems. Austin is getting a bunch of the loons moving there from California to implementing their kooky ideas so it’s no wonder that it’s getting screwed up. Anyway sorry for venting my frustration.   On another note I talked to the rep from microkote and he said that the paint works very well on wooden tree boxes without a primer and actually extends the life of the wood.

William

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 02:17:50 PM »
    Mark

Yep I moved to California in 1983 and it really was the golden state back then and there were good paying jobs everywhere . I’ve been watching over the last 36 years how this state has went to shi- , and I don’t see anything getting better anytime soon. The same crony politicians keep getting elected ( I have my theory on how that keeps happening too )  so nothing is going to change. I don’t really want to leave because there are things that I really love about living here but when I see year after year the same problems never getting resolved I have to wonder how people can be so stupid to continue voting for the same useless politicians who never even attempt to solve any problems. Austin is getting a bunch of the loons moving there from California to implementing their kooky ideas so it’s no wonder that it’s getting screwed up. Anyway sorry for venting my frustration.   On another note I talked to the rep from microkote and he said that the paint works very well on wooden tree boxes without a primer and actually extends the life of the wood.

William

I hear ya.

I used a lot of Griffin's Spin-out. They still make but sold in large quantities.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »
My trees are ready to get in ground in cal, idaho too much work for me dealing with cold, Bill make sure you wave to me in nev you moving to idaho and i moving back to cal. True cal politics is down the tubes , i will just have to grin and bear it.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 09:18:53 PM »
  Avoman

Let me know when you get settled in and maybe we can meet up sometime and exchange scions or something. What area are you thinking about settling in to ?

William

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 02:16:21 AM »
If you are really serious about growing a avocado tree in a pot then I suggest that you look into amaroo boxes sold by urbanboxgardens.com  in Duarte Ca.  The 36 inch box is equivalent to a 125 gallon pot . They hold slightly over 1 yard of soil.

William

have you been recently? any attempts to contact them has resulted in nothing...guess i could drive out there personally to see....

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 07:18:07 AM »
  arc310

No I haven't tried contacting them yet. Thats not good business practice to not return calls.Hopefully they respond soon.

William

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »
Bill i have land in fresno county prob not going ti live there sooner than spring 2020 and sure can exchange scions, im always looking for rare stuff i dont have yet .