Author Topic: Loquat grafting, when?  (Read 2041 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Loquat grafting, when?
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
Can I do it now or is it better to wait for warmer weather?  The trees are flushing and in a fairly vigorous state right now.  Im looking to graft wood from one tree onto another then remove one tree. 

Does the wood need to be hardened off to use as scions?
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat grafting, when?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
Hi Brad, I have grafted loguats at this time of year before with great success just cut your scions and cut off leaves and and blooms. I used scion wood that were no showing blooms. My new way of grafting loquats is grafting them onto quince which is supposed to dwarf them I have one tree now on quince r.s. that is about 4 years old and only about 2-1/2' tall. i wrapped my scions with parafilm too!
The best to your grafting. ;)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »
Hi Brad, I have grafted loguats at this time of year before with great success just cut your scions and cut off leaves and and blooms. I used scion wood that were no showing blooms. My new way of grafting loquats is grafting them onto quince which is supposed to dwarf them I have one tree now on quince r.s. that is about 4 years old and only about 2-1/2' tall. i wrapped my scions with parafilm too!

Thank you very much Scott.  There doesn't appear to be any new blooms.  The trees bloomed and set fruit a few months ago.  Fruits are already sized up nicely.

I've got a mcbeth tree and a big jim.  If you or anyone has any favorite cultivars and would like to trade pieces let me know. 
Brad Spaugh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »

I have some on quince as well. I used BA29C. I grafted them last year. They are still in 2 gal rootmaker pots but I am hoping to plant them out soon. I couldn't find much info out there but it seems to be stable.

Looking back at my notes it looks like I have grafted in February, April and June and most took. I have used both softer and hardened wood.
-Josh

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:30:36 AM »
Thanks Robert. I guess I'll work on the loquat after I'm done with all the dormant scions in my fridge.

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
Not to thread-jack, but I have a very mature loquat in my yard, likely from seed, with very inferior fruit. Is it possible to essentially cut it down and graft into the center of the trunk/stump, or do I need to do some kind of side graft then cut it down?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
Not to thread-jack, but I have a very mature loquat in my yard, likely from seed, with very inferior fruit. Is it possible to essentially cut it down and graft into the center of the trunk/stump, or do I need to do some kind of side graft then cut it down?

You can probably stump it then cleft graft onto the new shoots. 
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 06:14:19 PM »
Yes, you can do like Brad sad and stump it and cleft graft stump or you can stump it then wait for re-growth sprouts and select them to 4-6 shoots and graft onto them I prefer the later method!

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
I also have large seeding loquat. the fruits are good but not outstanding. tempted to do bark or side grafting onto some of the main trunk soon. if i stump it I will need to wait until the fruits are done for the season.