Author Topic: Grapefruit Tree Dying?  (Read 1419 times)

typukatch

• LOS ANGELES
    • View Profile
Grapefruit Tree Dying?
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
Hello!

We've had a grapefruit tree in our yard for quite some time (before 2011, when we bought the house), and we believe it underwent some trauma just a few years ago, possibly due to a few cold seasons and/or a period of less water.

We subsequently had substantial parts of it cut back.

Since then, there have been some green shoots on the outer upper branches (top right and top back in the photo) of the tree, as well as the front right. We have added fertilizer to it and have been watering consistently.

Please see attached pictures.

In your professional opinion(s), do you think the tree shows signs of disease and/or should we get it looked at by a professional?

Thank you so much for your help!

Ty

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:37:21 PM by typukatch »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Grapefruit Tree Dying?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:33:32 PM »
I can not tell from your pics from where the green shoots you speak of are coming from. You need to look at the shoots and determine from where they are coming from. If they are from the roots of this tree and it was a grafted tree, the shoots are rootstock and will need to be grafted in order to produce. If they are from the portion above the graft they will serve as they are. It is very hard for me to see disease from your pics. Welcome to the forum

typukatch

• LOS ANGELES
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
Thank you for your fast response and for the welcome!

Sorry, have included/amended this portion in the post for clarification:

Since then, there have been some green shoots on the outer upper branches (top right and top back in the photo) of the tree, as well as the front right. We have added fertilizer to it and have been watering consistently.

The tree, to the best of our knowledge, was not grafted.

Would love your further thoughts and thank you again!

Ty

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:42:37 PM »
A tree that size should be fertilized 3 times a year, equally spaced out from March to Early September..  Fertilizer spread from near the trunk and out to the drip line.  Using a 10-10-10, 8-8-8, or a 6-6-6 formulated fertilizer. As Bomand also wrote, I can't see a close up of the leaves, so cannot tell if or what might be a deficiency.  However, the foliage, does look to be deficient in Nitrogen.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:11:21 PM »
Your tree is grafted.  The graft line is in the ellipse

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »
Poncirusguy is right. The enlarged photo shows a union at the base of the tree. Your clarification statement leads me to believe that your tree is in some stage of recovery from a lack of fertilize and water. With adequate water and fertilize I feel that your tree will recover. Its a good size tree and will be a heavy feeder.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:08:11 AM »
Nitrogen deficient, and bare, unshaded trunk will sunburn and peel back leaving inroads for gummosis. Consider painting the trunk white with latex paint ASAP.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »
Looks like its surrounded by concrete.  I would think that could be a recipe for problems.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
Can fertilize monthly in frost free Socal.
Looks like lack of water and fertilizer to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk