Author Topic: Parfianka Pomegranate Blooming...like now  (Read 381 times)

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Parfianka Pomegranate Blooming...like now
« on: September 25, 2023, 02:29:47 PM »
I'm new to growing pomegranate.  This is the 2nd year of Parfianka for me. It's only about a 3.5 ft bush.  I got 3 fruits this year. In the last few weeks I have a branch sending out blooms, it's September and the end of summer. Is this normal or bizarre? We have had some weird weather this year in California.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Parfianka Pomegranate Blooming...like now
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 03:41:22 PM »
Your location is a bit different then mine. My parfiancas are still all green, but did send out additional flowers. I usually get a late push when the weather changes. Most never make it to full maturity before it goes dormant.

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 04:09:44 PM »
Thanks John, does those late bloom ever overwinter and mature next year? Or is it just a waste and I should just remove the blooms?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 04:29:40 PM »
Our poms are ripening now.  The blooms were pretty late this year but not that late.  I would leave them and just see what happens. 
Brad Spaugh

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 04:32:45 PM »
Thanks John, does those late bloom ever overwinter and mature next year? Or is it just a waste and I should just remove the blooms?

They will not overwinter. The ones that made it pretty close (just a few leaves on the tree while it's going dormant)  ended up getting scratched off by rats since most of their food was gone in winter. I'm in 10a San Diego (on a hill though) and I had fruit hang until December.

If the season stays warm, they may ripen for you.

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 04:34:45 PM »
Our poms are ripening now.  The blooms were pretty late this year but not that late.  I would leave them and just see what happens.

Cool, I'll leave to see what happens. I picked one fruit already as something was getting to it. It was delicious. I have 1 large fruit and 1 small fruit left.🤤

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 04:36:06 PM »
Oops, John says thry won't ripen, maybe take them off so the plant can grow then.

The plant looks a little chlorotic.  Maybe too much water.  They really need almost no water.  Sulphur and iron might help also.  A little dose of citrus avocado food if you have not also.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 04:39:02 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 04:43:30 PM »

I don't have experience with Parfianka specifically, but I'm guessing it's going to drop everything this winter. Leave and flowers. Even with our mild winters, pomegranate love heat and those flowers have little to no shot of becoming fruit. You can dry out the flowers and use them in a tea if you want to put them to use
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 04:47:18 PM by shmojojojo »

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 04:51:45 PM »
Thank you both I will remove the blooms.  Yes, it kind of got yellow in the last couple months. I wasn't sure if it was normal or the gophers are getting to the roots, I trapped over 15 of them this year.  They seem to attack everything but my mangos. I will put down some slow release fertilizer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk