Author Topic: how much do i need to wait to plant ilama seeds?  (Read 582 times)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
how much do i need to wait to plant ilama seeds?
« on: September 06, 2021, 05:46:14 PM »
hi, so i received ilama seeds from a forum member Vermmented/Starry nursery. ty  :)

these seeds are quite big for annonas i was surprised. especially the guillermo so...i asked him these questions but i will ask here too, so i read somewhere the seeds can go dry for some weeks or months even over a year and then sprout. some other sites say they will lose viability % this way...so should i plant them asap or wait a few weeks or months what do you guys think?

btw i bought some ilama seeds from rarepalmseeds they were much smaller and they sprouted very fast like after 1 or 2 weeks. idk if that's cuz they had a "dry" period because some people say that site takes too long for seeds. alrighty ty guys  8)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 05:47:47 PM by digigarden »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: how much do i need to wait to plant ilama seeds?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 07:00:30 PM »
I got some from Vernmented also, five months ago, and planted them immediately.  They haven't sprouted yet, but I dig them up occasionally and they don't appear to be rotted so I let them be.  I'll throw them away next spring if they haven't sprouted.  I have had seeds of various plants sprout long after I had written them off.

Fleep

• United States, Texas, Dallas
    • View Profile
Re: how much do i need to wait to plant ilama seeds?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 09:38:44 PM »
Im assuming the seeds are this years harvest. If they are, I would just leave the package in a drawer and come back to it next year. Seven months of waiting worked fine to germinate my seeds. I do remember a scientific article showing that older seeds do start to lose viability after 8 months of harvest and almost no seeds germinated within 4 months of harvest.