Author Topic: Grewia asiatica 'Sherbet Berry'  (Read 4230 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Grewia asiatica 'Sherbet Berry'
« on: March 07, 2015, 04:31:23 AM »
Ok folks.  My nursery got this oddity in.  I know zero about it, so of course I quickly snatched it up.

Based on what I read, it is also called a Phalsa Berry and apparently has great health qualities from eating it.

Can anyone tell me about this tree and the best route for caring for it?  Almost looks like a grape... tree.  Looking forward to seeing what it does.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Grewia asiatica 'Sherbet Berry'
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 05:12:41 AM »
It's a small bushy tree. Plant it in full sun. In your winter it will go dormant and you can prune it back, like you would with grape vine.
Here's some more info and photos:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11775.msg151886#msg151886
Oscar

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »
and i was thinking of growing this a few weeks ago, and almost bought seeds
but passed on it, because what i read was the fruit was very variable
and "often not of good quality" i think was the phrase i had read

another site said there are 2 main types
a tall and a short one
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-348.html

and the tall ones dont taste very good.

now im hearing they taste better than blueberries
to me, thats a pretty profound statement
although, thee is a lot of variability in blueberries.

it appears they have a long fruiting season, having flowers and fruit on the tree at the same time
and it takes under 2 months for the fruit to ripen.
ive been looking for a good tasting berry that has a long fruiting period.
and can survive zone 9
also has several medicinal properties,
a big + for me.

although from the Daleys video
it sounds like seed to flesh ratio isnt that great,
and the fruit is only a decent taste when very ripe.

heres  videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9sF5dIjkOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj19PoOmA3s

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
Thanks guys.

Seems there are 2 distinct varieties I can find.  Sources giving different results in both flavor and size.  One says 5 feet, while another says 8 meters height.

Either way, the top info I found is that it fruits in new wood, which means pruning is a big deal.  So i can shape it however I want, promote new growth and get more fruit.  Big plus!

As for taste, I don't really care, so long as it provides the health benefits stated--especially the one about detoxifying blood.  Looks like the perfect fruit for a diabetic also.

It is stated to be a fast grower and can tolerate full and part sun, and even a mild frost.  Also makes for a good.container plant if desired.

I'm really interested to see what it does.  Getting ready to review the links you both provided.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

Seems there are 2 distinct varieties I can find.  Sources giving different results in both flavor and size.  One says 5 feet, while another says 8 meters height.

Either way, the top info I found is that it fruits in new wood, which means pruning is a big deal.  So i can shape it however I want, promote new growth and get more fruit.  Big plus!

As for taste, I don't really care, so long as it provides the health benefits stated--especially the one about detoxifying blood.  Looks like the perfect fruit for a diabetic also.

It is stated to be a fast grower and can tolerate full and part sun, and even a mild frost.  Also makes for a good.container plant if desired.

I'm really interested to see what it does.  Getting ready to review the links you both provided.

Here in the tropics it never loses it's leaves and i never prune it and it still fruits just fine. But in your area you would want to prune it. The height of my plant is about 6 feet tall, and it must bet 20 years old. As for taste, no i wouldn't say it's nearly as good as blueberries. I have grown fonder of this fruit every year, and i also noticed it tasted a whole lot better and produced better after fertilizing. Surprise!  ;) It's very easy to grow, not much seems to bother it, and also is very ornamental when in flower. The fruits are spaced out in their ripening so you have to pick them quite often to get a good harvest.
Oscar

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
Lol, it is going to make a crop this year already.

Berry bundles forming all over it.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
This makes me very sad that the little seedling I bought died. I only had it maybe 2 weeks, and something in my yard ate it. I don't know what, as there are several pests that could be. I went to go find it in my yard to check on it, and all that was there was the skinny stump. :( It did not regrow since it had not yet established itself. Another $15 wasted... *sigh* I gave it a shot, simply because I was curious if it would do well here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
This makes me very sad that the little seedling I bought died. I only had it maybe 2 weeks, and something in my yard ate it. I don't know what, as there are several pests that could be. I went to go find it in my yard to check on it, and all that was there was the skinny stump. :( It did not regrow since it had not yet established itself. Another $15 wasted... *sigh* I gave it a shot, simply because I was curious if it would do well here.

Should do just fine in your zone. Grows fine here. If at first you don't succeed.....
Plug for Adam: he is selling them.  8)
Oscar

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
Man this thing grows super fast.  I'm impressed so far.

Sorry to hear yours got eaten.  Probably just bad luck.  Grab another one.  :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 06:28:07 PM »
I really enjoy this fruit!

check out this tree after the winter!

it gets cut to a stump, shorter than an ant hill!

and fruits up a storm for a good portion of the year.

this tree is super drought tolerant and cold tolerant...i don't think it likes wet feet....it takes a while to establish the small plants, because they tend to grow a bit slow at first.  Once they are established, it is a wonderful alternative to many other common fruits...i think it's high in antioxidants, and it can be eaten at 3 stages...early (tart astringent, pleasing), ripe (sweet/tart, slight astringent very pleasing), over ripe (sweetest, least astringent, very tasty, almost like a raisin)

thanks for the plug Oscar... CBSDavieFL...he has them too  :P :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:33:51 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
Dr. Parmar in India (fruitipedia) told me wrote his PhD dissertation on phalsa. He told me in personal conversation that the fruits are very popular in India for pregnant women. They are juiced and sold usually in that way. So i wouldn't be surprised if they have very many health benefits. (I think they're good for guys too, you don't need to be pregnant to get the health benefits.  ;) )
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »
Oscar,

if someone was going to grow them commercially, I think the best idea would be to juice them and freeze the pulp to be shipped all around the USA (or the world)

I guess you could do a U pick farm as well...I've often thought about having a miniature fruit and spice U pick farm, with a bunch of minor fruits that u cant get shipped, and can't be found the store.

I guess I'm in the process of setting up such an orchard...but I have plans to ship most of the fruit, so I'd only allow U pick for certain crops....like Grewia, mulberry, muntingia, C.xanthocarpa, Pitanga, and more....

Dr. Parmar in India (fruitipedia) told me wrote his PhD dissertation on phalsa. He told me in personal conversation that the fruits are very popular in India for pregnant women. They are juiced and sold usually in that way. So i wouldn't be surprised if they have very many health benefits. (I think they're good for guys too, you don't need to be pregnant to get the health benefits.  ;) )
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
Oscar,

if someone was going to grow them commercially, I think the best idea would be to juice them and freeze the pulp to be shipped all around the USA (or the world)

I guess you could do a U pick farm as well...I've often thought about having a miniature fruit and spice U pick farm, with a bunch of minor fruits that u cant get shipped, and can't be found the store.

I guess I'm in the process of setting up such an orchard...but I have plans to ship most of the fruit, so I'd only allow U pick for certain crops....like Grewia, mulberry, muntingia, C.xanthocarpa, Pitanga, and more....

Adam, i think your idea of selling them juiced is a good one. The juice could even be frozen and maintained that way for very long time. Or you could do your fruit leather idea also. The problem is that they ripen over long period of time. Only a few berries every day. So they are very work intensive. In India with lots of cheap labor not so problematic, but in USA? Some work needs to be done on them to get them to fruit more uniformly, and also to improve fruit quality and size.
I think u-pick idea is good. But you would be more succesful with crops that people already know about, like mulberries, blueberries, raspberry. I think even jaboticabas would be very succesful as upick!
Oscar