Author Topic: Fatty tropical fruit photos  (Read 2877 times)

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
Fatty tropical fruit photos
« on: February 27, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »
We call these iniaku here, pasu in Peru, and gustavia macarenensis in Latin.

It’s fatty, kind of salty taste.. thin flesh

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Fatty tropical fruit photos
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:36 PM »
Do you eat it out of hand, cook it?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 04:16:34 AM »
Heard that is one of the better tasting of the gustavias.
Oscar

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
I've heard that this Gustavia macarenensis "must be eaten at the correct stage of ripeness. If you eat it on Tuesday it is under-ripe, hard and tasteless. If you eat it on Thursday it is overripe with a foul odor and taste. On Wednesday it is a great fruit, rich and oily.", from Jim West.

TerraFrutisEcuador

• View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:57:44 PM »
I've heard that this Gustavia macarenensis "must be eaten at the correct stage of ripeness. If you eat it on Tuesday it is under-ripe, hard and tasteless. If you eat it on Thursday it is overripe with a foul odor and taste. On Wednesday it is a great fruit, rich and oily.", from Jim West.

Oddly I quite disagree with Jim west.. we have considered it to have a long shelf life of 1-2 weeks after being picked and being available to eat out of hand underripe or overripe. It’s possible Jim has himself a bit spoiled with the fruits quality as I find myself after having had some hundreds of a specific fruit..

Usually I prefer them overripe a bit more smelly and soft, locals seem to prefer them underripe and a bit hard fleshed.

Heard that is one of the better tasting of the gustavias.

Hoping to come across a reliably thick fleshed one someday. I suspect they take well by air layers because I’ve seen cut branches trying to root into wet grass before..

Do you eat it out of hand, cook it?

Out of hand, which involves careless abandonment of scrap or a bit of scraping at the inside of the skin which has a sandpaper like edge, trying to free the remaining flesh for ingestion. Underripe there can be a strongly bitter taste from the protective seeds/flesh protective skin... it is pretty enjoyable for us. 4-6 can be a small meal. High quality fatty fruit after I’d say coming in like after durian, avocado, ackee, but before many palm fruits like aguaje etc.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:07:53 AM »
I have a couple of small trees here planted. I suspect the flowers are even more fabulous than the fruits?
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
I think that I have one of these from when Jim stayed here quite some time ago.  It’s never fruited as of yet.  Like some of the stuff I got from him I’m not so sure that it wants to be at sea level.  I’m thinking the same about Bactris setulosa.
Does anyone have gustavia  superba in production?
Peter

TerraFrutisEcuador

• View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
I think that I have one of these from when Jim stayed here quite some time ago.  It’s never fruited as of yet.  Like some of the stuff I got from him I’m not so sure that it wants to be at sea level.  I’m thinking the same about Bactris setulosa.
Does anyone have gustavia  superba in production?
Peter
Gustavia superba shown here is around here although I prefer gustavia ”superba” is hard to tell when ripe.

This link is considerably larger than ours, seems the article was posted from Panama?

Anyone know more about this supposed “superba”?

https://anthrome.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/lecydaceae-gustavia-superba-membrillo-paco/

To Fruitlovers,

I think they are somewhat resistant to more acidic soil, not as much as some but maybe apply sulphuric rich fertilizer to lower ph level.. they sometimes only fruit 1/2 years here. I think working with cuttings or air layers is possible with them but I haven’t proved it yet.

TerraFrutisEcuador

• View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:52:41 PM »
I was given seedlings of g. superba by a vegan friend as another good meat substitute.  It’s grown in the Southern Pacific of CR in wetlands exposed to sun, or so I understand.  A good companion for paquera I suppose.  I planted a couple and have distributed a few but, like several things I have planted here, I still haven’t tried the fruit.
Speaking of that, we’re getting flowering for the first time on safou.  If it sets I’ll start posting about it!
Peter

Bplot

• Ecuador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 10:28:06 PM »
Here's my video of it at fruit haven Ecuador https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cPbITGlUs

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
Here is a picture of Gustavia augusta. It hasn’t bloomed yet, but growing well. I understand it doesn’t produce edible fruit as G. macarenensis or G. superba.

Zone Pusher