Author Topic: Grafted Achachiru flowering in South Florida  (Read 12673 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grafted Achachiru flowering in South Florida
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »
Very nice it's really compact! Patrick is there a reason you have it in a container? They are cold hardy we have a few mornings bellow 40F almost every year and it's unfazed, no freeze burn or dieback. We have a mature Garcinia growing in the Fullerton Arboretum that's loaded every year you should have no problem growing it in the ground in your area.

That's great to hear.. I was just frightened that it may be cold sensitive or not fruit.  Now Im concerned that it may lose the fruit if I plant it out.  I probably will if I am able to harvest the fruit.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »
Congrats, Patrick!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 03:08:01 AM »
Very nice it's really compact! Patrick is there a reason you have it in a container? They are cold hardy we have a few mornings bellow 40F almost every year and it's unfazed, no freeze burn or dieback. We have a mature Garcinia growing in the Fullerton Arboretum that's loaded every year you should have no problem growing it in the ground in your area.

That's great to hear.. I was just frightened that it may be cold sensitive or not fruit.  Now Im concerned that it may lose the fruit if I plant it out.  I probably will if I am able to harvest the fruit.

Achachairu originates from foothills of the Andes, Bolivia so is pretty cold hardy.
JF is that really achachairu at Fullerton? I know they have false mangosteen (xanthochyumus).
BTW, the achachairu was misidentified in a book about Puerto Rican fruits. There it is called Rheedia brasilensis, so not surprising their nurseries are also confused.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 03:29:40 AM »
For what it's worth, Bacupari miudo (Garcinia brasiliensis?), Mexican Garcinia, Achachairu all survived outdoors on the rooftop this winter here in Northern California, and Lemon Drop Mangosteen has survived two winters up there.  They weren't too happy with wind (Mexican Garcinias lost leaves now and then), but they're doing fine and growing again.  Granted we've had two mild winters in a row but the city had two nights of 33 F this winter and last winter had two nights of 30 F -- officially zone 10a.  The rooftop is warmer (altitude plus thermal mass of the building) so add a few degrees.

I was (pleasantly) surprised they survived.  Just hope they grow faster than the current rate of two leaves every 6 months.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »

Achachairu originates from foothills of the Andes, Bolivia so is pretty cold hardy.
JF is that really achachairu at Fullerton? I know they have false mangosteen (xanthochyumus).
BTW, the achachairu was misidentified in a book about Puerto Rican fruits. There it is called Rheedia brasilensis, so not surprising their nurseries are also confused.
Oscar, I don't know what type of Garcinia I've posted pix but I can't find them in the search. It's a medium size yellow fruit, size of an apricot, don't enough to ID it. Maybe someone on the forum who is going to the green scene this weekend can take pix?

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
Oscar,

I was up at Fullerton a few weeks ago and had a talk with one of the people in charge of the collection.  A very bright guy, and his area of expertise is cacti, but he was interested in learning more about the fruit garden.  They do gave a large G. xanthochymus, in the collection and when I asked him if there were any other Garcinia species he first pointed to an empty spot and said that there might have been one "there" but died some years back.  Then he took me to an unidentified tree and told me that other people say  that it is a Garcinia sp.  but it looked more like some sort of Syzygium sp. to me.  Here are some photos of the tree in question.

He said that to the best of his knowledge it has never fruited.  Any guesses as to what this tree is?

Cheers,
Richard

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »
Here are some recent photos of the G. xanthochymus at Fullerton (taken less than a month ago).

Cheers,
Richard

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 05:52:19 PM »
The xanthochymus is the one that the Fullerton had mislabeled as mangosteen for quite a long time.
Richard the photo of mystery plant does look like Syzygium. Maybe java plum (cuminii)?
Oscar

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 08:28:36 PM »
I have a pair of achachairu seedlings that I bought from Montoso Gardens in Nov 2012.  They were about a foot tall when they arrived so I would guess that their age to be around 1.5 years old at the time of purchase.  The trees are now 5.5 feet tall with a trunk diameter of about 1.5 inches at approximately 4 years old.  They are going in the ground when rainy season starts.

I hope that my trees do not need to get a trunk diameter of Adam's thigh before they fruit.  If that is the measure stick, Adam is going to have to go on a diet! 

i remember the one at fruit and spice had a trunk the size of my thigh before it flowered!  and was about 10ft x 8ft wide.
Brandon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »
I have a pair of achachairu seedlings that I bought from Montoso Gardens in Nov 2012.  They were about a foot tall when they arrived so I would guess that their age to be around 1.5 years old at the time of purchase.  The trees are now 5.5 feet tall with a trunk diameter of about 1.5 inches at approximately 4 years old.  They are going in the ground when rainy season starts.

I hope that my trees do not need to get a trunk diameter of Adam's thigh before they fruit.  If that is the measure stick, Adam is going to have to go on a diet! 

i remember the one at fruit and spice had a trunk the size of my thigh before it flowered!  and was about 10ft x 8ft wide.

Yeah, I am a bit disappointed after reading this.  I have a seedling planted in ground that looks really great at about 4 ft.  I was hoping to have some fruit in two or 3 years.   After reading this it seems like the wait will be much longer :(

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »

Yeah, I am a bit disappointed after reading this.  I have a seedling planted in ground that looks really great at about 4 ft.  I was hoping to have some fruit in two or 3 years.   After reading this it seems like the wait will be much longer :(

You ain't kidding I got mine a bunch from Montosogarden five years ago as two years old and thinking it would fruit by now; well when Luc's Mangosteen fruit next year I hope, I will replace these over promised Bolivian with Mexican Garcinia !😀
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »
Here is a pic of mine. It's pushing 8ft tall. I was hoping to get some fruit by next year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »
Here is a pic of mine. It's pushing 8ft tall. I was hoping to get some fruit by next year.

Mine fruited at about that size, so yours should too very soon. Give it some K to promote flowering.
Trunk thick as a thigh to start fruiting?  :o No way! Mine is not nearly that big of a trunk and fruited last year!
Btw, at 6 foot height or so that plant really took off in growth. It must have doubled in size, especially width, in one year!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
maybe the lime rock soil set it back?

but yes, the tree had a trunk with a 5-6 inch diameter if I recall...way too big to keep in a pot, was my first thought.

Mine fruited at about that size, so yours should too very soon. Give it some K to promote flowering.
Trunk thick as a thigh to start fruiting?  :o No way! Mine is not nearly that big of a trunk and fruited last year!
Btw, at 6 foot height or so that plant really took off in growth. It must have doubled in size, especially width, in one year!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »

Your Kid peeing on it that makes it so big Ron??😆 Yours a hell lot bigger than mine, I should flood mine evryday hopefully it will catch; wast that is your secret you told me; Noah's Flood on them?💦
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »
Yes Jack I got mine from Montoso Gardens in 2012 as the larger size they sell. I let it grow in a pot in partial shade until a little over waist high then put it in the ground. They love lots of water. In the pots I would try to always have the soil moist and would give them osmocote slow release fertilizer. Haven't started peeing on them yet lol.